Menu

1st-3rd Grade History/science?

pocjets

Story of the World, while not specifically a Christian resource, is Christian friendly.  The Ancient Times volume has some of the Bible stories (Abraham, Joseph, Mosus and the Red Sea, Jesus' birth and death)...some non-Christians I know don't like the subtle ways that Christian and non-Christian stories are treated differently...the Bible stories are treated more as truth.   But it's a subtle enough so that many secular homeschoolers I know use it without a problem, or with only slight tweaks.   If you want something covers the creation story, that explicitly says "This is how God was working" and that specifically contrasts Christianity with other Ancient religions, etc. than Story of the World is not for you. 

I personally love it.  My son just really responds well to the writing style, even though I have to supplement like crazy with pictures (because it only has a few black and white pictures...the Revised version has more and for the most part better pictures).    I also supplement with Bible stories and I have a guide to how I supplemented for the Old Testament (still needing to write the new testament part out as we just finished it).

http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2017/06/story-of-world-bible-integration-old.html

For History we're doing Story of The World, Activity Guide, corresponding library books and lining up Artistic Pursuits lessons chronologically with SOTW. Beautiful Feet Books looks fabulous but was outside of our budget.

Building Foundations For Scientific Understanding is technically a secular resource but would be fine for my conservative Christian family, at least at the K-2 level. Apologia's Zoology books (flying, swimming, and land) go over the same content repeatedly from different angles so if I were you I would begin with Flying Creatures now and use one a year.

I didn’t do science on a regular basis with my older kids when they were younger, although we did dabble with Pandia Press’s science curriculum with some success. Now, we're doing Apologia and all four kids do it together, which includes my first and third grader.

For history, definitely recommend Story of of the World.