Menu

What's with the ads?

Greta

If you have successfully changed your habits WRT housekeeping, chores, organization....

Check out: A Slob Comes Clean

She has a website and podcasts and has honestly changed my life when it comes to cleaning my house, keeping it clean and the feelings I have with all of it.

This!

Not to knock flylady, but she’s way too complex for me. Some people need more support. A slob comes clean starts with super simple- do the dishes daily. If you already do that, you can do the next step- daily 5 minute pick up (or whatever she recommends next). Her book walks you through getting started. After getting started, you work into routines prevention by decluttering, etc.

• Like 4

I'm more type A so these thoughts may or may not be any help.

When I got married it took me a bit to figure out how to keep house, although I cleaned houses and offices before then it is a different job to keep up with things. Doing Motivated Moms was a turning point for me. I don't think that particular system is the only way but rather finding a system that works for you. It got me in the habit of routines. What are the things that need to be done every day, every week, month, season, and year??? 

Also, although I'm fairly minimalist to begin with a did a crash course Kon Mari of the house in a week a couple of years back and that has streamlined things more.

Getting sick drove home prioritization and having the kids help. You must prioritize because you can do more in some seasons than other rather that is because of busyness, energy, etc. So, I clean my house in layers- first you keep up with the basics that you need every day- food (and dishes to eat and cook) and clothes and go out from there. 

So, make sure you have down your basic routine and then add to it.Sneak in time here and there to deep clean something once you have the basics down.

While we school we just keep up with stuff (unless I'm really feeling spunky), we do deep cleaning and projects on breaks. 

Lastly, a tip I read in a book about ADHD (to help my son), you just need the least complicated system that works. So, look through the various things out there and pick the one that appeals to you or use the ideas to make your own system. Then find a method of accountability- whether it is a thread here, a daily checklist(paper or digital), or checking in with a friend. 

Oh, and one of my life mottos- "Don't let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good." 

If this is not something you are inclined to do it will take a bit to find your groove.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Thank you for this thread. As I sit around stacks of paper and things that I KNOW need to get done but I just don't want to, this is a thread that I need and want to read. My house mess directly correlates with how my day goes (IE: tidy house - happiness and less weight; cluttered house - gloominess/depression) but I just can't seem to get it together.

I think I have un-diagnosed adult ADD and perfectionism which can play a role in keeping things tidy. I start things well and with gusto but have a finishing well problem.

ETA: My DH is a saint. He is a very nice type-A person who just gets on and does things so our house is not messy all of the time. He works out of state, though, so it's often left to me and that's when things fall apart!

Edited by importswim
  • Like 1

I ordered the book from the "A Slob Comes Clean" lady, and I plan to listen to her podcasts while I wait for it to arrive -- starting today while I fold the mountain of clean towels in my bedroom.  :D

I also meant to mention before that we have no attic and no basement, and the garage has been converted into a home gym and equipment room (hubby is a mountaineering and outdoor exercise enthusiast).  So that means a lot of the things (e.g. Christmas tree and other holiday decorations) that would normally get stored in those kinds of places has to be stored in our closets instead.  The closets are quite full.  

And that's the main thing that irritates me about my home:  every drawer, every cabinet, every closet is overflowing with stuff.  I'm just tired of all the stuff.  I don't know how to explain it, but it's like all this stuff weighs on me, even when I'm not dealing with it in any way.  To the point where I've actually daydreamed about living alone in a tiny little apartment with nothing in it but a bed, a couch, a small table, one plate, one mug, one knife, etc.  Silly thing to daydream about, isn't it?  Having less.  That's not what most people want!  While I can't do the alone-in-a-tiny-apartment thing, I can set some limits on the amount of stuff in this house, though it will be an uphill battle all the way.  Still, for the sake of my sanity, I just have to do it.

Again, thank you for all of the replies.  This thread has been such a huge help!

• Like 5

Invite a group over once a week.  Seriously.  Accountability works wonders for those of us who are okay with chaos on a daily basis.

This works for me. My son teaches piano lessons at home and I don't want the students and their moms walking into a gross, dog-haired mess. So at least the downstairs get seriously picked up.

Still working on upstairs!

Great thread!

Alley

• Like 1

I'm decluttering again. I have 3 full trash bags of just kids clothes to donate!!!! No wonder their clothes were always falling out of the drawers!!!

• Like 1

I also meant to mention before that we have no attic and no basement, and the garage has been converted into a home gym and equipment room (hubby is a mountaineering and outdoor exercise enthusiast).  So that means a lot of the things (e.g. Christmas tree and other holiday decorations) that would normally get stored in those kinds of places has to be stored in our closets instead.  

See, I just plain would not accept this.

For instance, DH wanted to own the entire basement at the cabin for his woodworking, which is a horrible mess.  He starts projects and loses interest in them, and keeps them because of the labor so far.  So this mess is one that is only going to grow.  

And I was just plain very assertive about needing a clean laundry area, and that being the only place for it, and it being unacceptable to have to haul all the clean clothes upstairs to fold on the bed or the dining room table when I have a perfectly good Costco folding picnic table in the basement for this.  (He wanted to start putting all his crap on it or get rid of it so he could put something else there, I forget what.)  

He was mad but I persisted.  I said, that's fine that you have a lot of space for your woodwork, but I need a clean place to move wet or dried laundry to as well.  And I just kept saying that until he saw that I wasn't going to budge on this, or on the need for a good strong light over the table and the washer (he had taken my lights, and I got them back).  (I have an old heavy sheet that I keep on the table to be a dust collector.  When I use the table for clean stuff, wet or dry, I take the sheet off, and have a clean surface.  I throw the sheet into a laundry load when I have room for it, so it doesn't get horribly dirty.)

In your position, I'd agree with the workout room in the garage, but I'd also have Ikea Billy bookshelves or Monster racks along a wall that would have my seasonal decorations on them.  Or I'd have an inexpensive storage lift to put them up against the ceiling.  Because 'in the house' is prime space, and it doesn't get used for seasonal stuff.  And exercise and hobby equipment doesn't get to trump that.  Rather, they have to coexist with that.  

• Like 5

I ordered the book from the "A Slob Comes Clean" lady, and I plan to listen to her podcasts while I wait for it to arrive -- starting today while I fold the mountain of clean towels in my bedroom.  

For laundry, the touch-once rule works well, too: fold each towel when you have it in your hand as you pick it off the clothesline or take it out of the dryer. 

• Like 3

A slob comes clean wouldn’t advocate getting something to solve space clutter problems, but maybe consider bed platform risers instead of box springs? They basically let you get rid of a box spring and have that room for storage under your bed, but don’t raise the bed. They allow regular sized large plastic bins underneath.

It’s a little extreme to convert a whole room to a hobby with no storage in the house and closets being used to store holiday decorations or whatever. I’d advocate getting a separate storage unit in the hobby room at least. There’s value in Christmas decorations even if they’re only used one month of the year. There’s also value in having a sane system for closets so daily life is easy and people can find their clothes. Not everyone can have everything but everyone should be able to function.

• Like 3

For laundry, the touch-once rule works well, too: fold each towel when you have it in your hand as you pick it off the clothesline or take it out of the dryer. 

RIGHT.  And to do this, you need a working surface to put the pile of folded towels on.  DH, take note!

RIGHT.  And to do this, you need a working surface to put the pile of folded towels on.  DH, take note!

No, actually that's not necessary. I fold on top of the drying rack when I line dry, or on top of the dryer on the rare days I use the dryer, and folded things go right into the basket. No additional surface needed.

Following along - I think I'll be focusing on overcoming my messiness this year - I've always been messy and I hate cleaning, sweeping, mopping, dishes, etc. I have massive amounts of clutter and it won't all go away but I can recommit to tackling what I can. 

I had one of those "I've had it moments" over a comment that our SLP made recently - I think she meant to be positive or encouraging or something, but it really stuck out at me and lit a fire to tackle projects I'd been ignoring for a very long time. We spent 3 days cleaning before Christmas and the difference is great, but it's still a very long way from being good enough. 

• Like 1

This!

Not to knock flylady, but she’s way too complex for me. Some people need more support. A slob comes clean starts with super simple- do the dishes daily. If you already do that, you can do the next step- daily 5 minute pick up (or whatever she recommends next). Her book walks you through getting started. After getting started, you work into routines prevention by decluttering, etc.

I remember trying flylady back in 2007 as a new mom and I was SO committed to it. I printed off her whole system at work and told myself I was going to be the most clean and organized mom. I did good for a while but every time I try and go back to it I really get annoyed. I am really liking the clean slob recommendation, it's even kid friendly. Realizing I have to do dishes everyday is big because before I'd get grumpy that I just unloaded dishes only to load and unload and like it never ends. That's probably why I hate cleaning, it never ends! I guess the same goes for eating well and daily exercise. Some things we don't want to do but learn that really it's just easier if we start and find ways to make it work for your lifestyle goals.

• Like 3

No, actually that's not necessary. I fold on top of the drying rack when I line dry, or on top of the dryer on the rare days I use the dryer, and folded things go right into the basket. No additional surface needed.

The point is, you have a clean place to put them.  Top of the dryer has to be dust free or it doesn't work.  Basket has to be right there and empty or it doesn't work.  A table is really nice if you have to sort after drying, also.

(In the basement of the cabin, dust is an issue, and has to be managed.  I keep my basket upside down to prevent it from collecting in the bottom, and I also use the tablecloth system I mentioned earlier.)

ETA:  Plus it is just *really nice* to have a dedicated working surface for laundry.  Just like it is *really nice* to have a place to hang clothes to dry, rather than a folding rack.  Neither of those are necessities, but if you are figuring out your priorities, hobby woodworking *expansion* beyond a reasonable amount of space does not trump a significant convenience that is used no less than twice per week in my world.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Following along - I think I'll be focusing on overcoming my messiness this year - I've always been messy and I hate cleaning, sweeping, mopping, dishes, etc. I have massive amounts of clutter and it won't all go away but I can recommit to tackling what I can. 

I had one of those "I've had it moments" over a comment that our SLP made recently - I think she meant to be positive or encouraging or something, but it really stuck out at me and lit a fire to tackle projects I'd been ignoring for a very long time. We spent 3 days cleaning before Christmas and the difference is great, but it's still a very long way from being good enough. 

SLP?

I just remembered a tip my mom gave to me years ago about storing blankets. If you have no where to put them, put them between your mattress and box springs. Just lay them as flat as possible. I've never had to do that but it seems like a good idea unless it creates a bumpy mattress. She said this was how they stored blankets in warm weather when she was a little girl.

• Like 2

Thanks for starting this thread. I saw it while we were traveling and came back to it. I'm a Flylady flunkie. The system doesn't work for me except for the concept of doing things in 15 min. increments. 

To the pp who said she thinks she has ADD, you may well be right. I have many ADD traits and a messy house is a common outcome. It's an additional challenge in creating our own systems that work. 

• Like 2

I was cured when we moved to Europe and it took 14 weeks for our household goods to arrive. We didn't have any pets either, so keeping the place clean was so easy!! Before, with the clutter and full-house feeling, it felt like no matter what I did, there was more to be done. Getting a fresh start helped so much. It also helped that we downsized our possessions and bought new furniture that works in this house. Everything has a place.

I clean daily, but since I'm just doing maintenance rather than dealing with a mess, it's much less stressful. I tend to clean the downstairs while my kids are doing independent schoolwork. Today I cleaned the kitchen (including cabinets), swept, mopped, and organized while my youngest did math.

• Like 4

I struggle with clutter.

The best my home and life has been is when I follow the plan in the book The Sidetracked Home Executives and when we host a weekly group.

Currently, neither is happening. :(

• Like 1

I only read the first dozen of so replies, and I am still really messy! But parts have become better, and it really is due to every last thing in the house having a home. This also helps my kids clean since they know where things go. But it was a piece of advice I read somewhere that was the best I think. It said to organize based on how you DO act, not how you think you should act. So stacking is a thing that's a no no. Unless the stacked items are only used very rarely, they generally don't go back in the right order, or at all. And if your whole family drops their  shoes at the front door, the idea that everyone is going to start taking their shoes to their closet every time they come in is totally unrealistic. Get a basket or something by the door to put them in...It changed my whole perspective and the areas I have organized using this idea stay neater longer and are easier to clean.

• Like 2

So I started with the dishes, just like she recommends on the “A Slob Comes Clean†podcast (and I presume the book, though I’m still waiting for the book to arrive). Before, I always ran the dishwasher whenever it was full, but that usually resulted in waiting until there were too many things to fit, so the dirty ones would be left on the kitchen counter overnight. Now I’m running it every evening after supper, washing by hand the things that don’t fit right then and there instead of telling myself that it’s late and I’m tired and I’ll do it tomorrow. It is sssooooo nice to walk into the kitchen in the morning and *not* be confronted with dirty dishes!

So it’s just one thing, but it’s a start! Thanks again for all the help!

• Like 8

So I started with the dishes, just like she recommends on the “A Slob Comes Clean†podcast (and I presume the book, though I’m still waiting for the book to arrive). Before, I always ran the dishwasher whenever it was full, but that usually resulted in waiting until there were too many things to fit, so the dirty ones would be left on the kitchen counter overnight. Now I’m running it every evening after supper, washing by hand the things that don’t fit right then and there instead of telling myself that it’s late and I’m tired and I’ll do it tomorrow. It is sssooooo nice to walk into the kitchen in the morning and *not* be confronted with dirty dishes!

Which can sometimes lead to cleaning motivation! Maybe just wanting to keep it nice, or spending some extra time doing a different project, like putting away stuff :)

• Like 1

So my dining room table has been clear since Christmas - longest period of time ever.

My living room is still pretty clean, the school table was too until I covered it with a box of books today -- I will find a place to put them tonight while I wait for them to sell.

Washing dishes every night has been a key part of my kitchen staying clean -- I've been doing it more often because DH was home for many days and he often needs the sink first thing to make coffee and really hates when it's full of dishes. I can see how the slob lady finds it really motivating. So now to keep it up -- there is soooo much that needs done but it is much nicer being in a space that's exponentially cleaner than it was. 

I'm also taking her advice - or trying to - to tackle the projects that people see when they walk in. I got side tracked by de cluttering the school shelves today which really isn't a all that noticeable to someone walking in, but it made me happy at least. 

ETA:

DH comes home and sees the overflowing box of books on the table, "where did all those books come from?" 
"I cleared out some school books from the shelves."
"Which shelves?"
I point to them, "those three right there?"
"I don't see any difference - how could that much come off three still full shelves?"

.... guess I have more work to do. 

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 4

Oh wow . . .  I am loving the "A Slob Comes Clean" blog and podcasts, and ordered both of her books!  Thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 1

This habit is everything for me. So much more thanâ€one thing.†This is the one thing I do without fail, no matter what, and it makes all the difference. I feel so defeated when I walk into a dirty kitchen in the morning because I feel like I’ll never catch up, let alone handle the day’s existing tasks. I started working on this habit after our second child was born, as his severe colic meant that I could accomplish almost nothing, ever, but we had to eat, so the kitchen had to work somehow. I love it. Dishwasher gets emptied (usually) in the morning and reloaded throughout the Day, completely filled after dinner, and ALL extra dishes washed by hand. If I’m having a good evening, I put away the clean dishes later that evening, but no big deal if I don’t get to it.

I’m enjoying this thread, particularly the reminder about Dana’s book. I have it on hold from the library. I read her blog back in the day (when I was able to keep a relatively neat and clean home and didn’t really need her tips). Now? Now I can’t handle my house and vlumd use all the help I can get (other than the dishwasher/counters trick).

• Like 2

I feel so defeated when I walk into a dirty kitchen in the morning because I feel like I’ll never catch up, let alone handle the day’s existing tasks.

It's funny that I didn't even realize how much that bothered me until I changed it.

Thank you for the encouragement!

• Like 1

Would anyone here be interested in a Welltrained Houses monthly thread? It would help me to be able to have some accountability and set goals and report it--like we do on the Well Trained Bodies thread. I checked with the person who does the Flylady support and she's fine with another thread. Like others, only bits of the Flylady program work for me.  I was thinking this would be a more eclectic thread. 

Anyone else interested? 

• Like 4

Would anyone here be interested in a Welltrained Houses monthly thread? It would help me to be able to have some accountability and set goals and report it--like we do on the Well Trained Bodies thread. I checked with the person who does the Flylady support and she's fine with another thread. Like others, only bits of the Flylady program work for me. I was thinking this would be a more eclectic thread.

Anyone else interested?

Count me in!

• Like 2

While checking today's deals on Amazon I saw that Dana K. White's first book is only $1.99 today for the Kindle version.

Dana's blog is A Slob Comes Clean which has been mentioned on this thread. I just started listening to her podcasts yesterday b/c of this thread. Thank you!

I think I'm going to pre-order her second book to get the freebies w/ it. I have her first book in the Kindle version, but want those extras that come w/ the new book. Oh, and her first book is available on Audible too. I put it in my wish list and will buy it if it goes on sale. I don't usually buy more than one version of a book, but I figure I need all the help I can get! The second book will be available in audio form too. 

***No affiliate links***

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

Would anyone here be interested in a Welltrained Houses monthly thread? It would help me to be able to have some accountability and set goals and report it--like we do on the Well Trained Bodies thread. I checked with the person who does the Flylady support and she's fine with another thread. Like others, only bits of the Flylady program work for me.  I was thinking this would be a more eclectic thread. 

Anyone else interested? 

Sounds good to me - there is a flylady thread already running about perhaps they are only focused on the flylady system? I'm all for using whichever tools, or bits of tolls, helps get the job done.

I made a vision board for this year and put a photo of my old flylady control journal which I expect to start using again this year because it was always very helpful. But I won't be following her whole system - makes me feel like a failure when I don't keep it up. 

Still liking the slob lady - gonna try and catch one of her podcasts too.

• Like 2

Okay. I started the new thread. 

xixstar, yes, I've peeked in on the Flylady threads and they are very specific and are following Flylady. And as I said, I checked with 3ladybugs and she'f fine with an eclectic thread. 

• Like 1

xixstar, yes, I've peeked in on the Flylady threads and they are very specific and are following Flylady. And as I said, I checked with 3ladybugs and she'f fine with an eclectic thread. 

Sorry, I totally missed that you said you checked in with her.

Thank you!

Here's the link.

• Like 1

If there is an April thread like this one, I can't find it. (The search engine will be back. We *will* be able to search here again. We will!) Several of us have used Dana K. White's ideas found at her blog and on her podcast A Slob Comes Clean with success. I'm still going strong and the family has noticed. Boy, those dailies help out so much. 

I'm posting because the digital edition of her newest book Decluttering at The Speed of Life is only $1.99 from Amazon right now. (No affiliate links posted.)

Just FYI and if anyone can point me to the April accountability thread, I would appreciate it.