Menu

What's with the ads?

OrganicJen

3/5 year journals

So does anyone use and like one of these? I think the idea sounds nice, so each year you can see what you wrote on the same day last year, but then you have just one little space to write in so I wonder if it's worth it. I was about to place an order for my fountain pen paper for the new year and saw those journals but can't decide if they are a good idea or not. I keep a specific one for gardening, and one with recipes (I love having favorite recipes written in beautiful hand and ink in one book), and a commonplace type book, maybe I don't need anything else but maybe it could be fun. Anyone use one?

I have the five year type and I like it a lot! However, I like the small space specifically because I have never managed to keep up with anything larger.

It is small enough that one statement feels like enough but I can also write tiny if I want to squeeze in a lot.

I have always loved the idea of a commonplace book and I love the recipe journal idea!

I have the five year type and I like it a lot! However, I like the small space specifically because I have never managed to keep up with anything larger.

It is small enough that one statement feels like enough but I can also write tiny if I want to squeeze in a lot.

I have always loved the idea of a commonplace book and I love the recipe journal idea!

My commonplace book is basically my every day random journal. I write anything I want to be reminded of in it, or any rants, and if I come across a lovely passage or quote that day it goes in there too. My kiddo does his school reading aloud so we frequently come across quotes we like and I put them in there so it reminds me of the books he reads for school as well which I love because it also reminds me of him. Then my other journals are more specific so just recipes or just gardening etc. The recipe book is essential because my favorite recipes are from various books or magazines or people so I like knowing I can grab the one book to have them all at hand and that I can pass it on to future generations. I like having one place to find my old standby recipes and have them look pretty too since I hand write them. I always use acid free paper notebooks of course so they last.

• Like 1

I have one that has 11 years on each page. I’m on my second one and love it. It’s just enough to jot down a few things but not a burden. And it’s fun to look back and see what we were doing 10 years ago. :) 

• Like 2

I think it sounds like I should go ahead and get one. I'm a bit limited because I use specific types of paper for my fountain pens so the companies who make those journals seem to only have 3 or 5 year as their choices so maybe I'll try the 5 year one.

Yes. I have the One Line A Day 5-year journal. I am about to begin my third year in it and yes, I like it. I do sporadically keep other journals when I want to write something more expansive or I want to write my way through some conundrum. But the 5-year journal is great and is meant more for posterity. It is too short to be filled with angst about particular people. So I have no conflict as to whether or not this should survive my time on this earth, which I do have over my other journals.

• Like 2

It’s this one! 

http://www.journal10.com

Neato! I just ordered one from Amazon. I ordered the 2017-2027 one because it is 10.00 cheaper, but also because I can go back and copy stuff from my current journal into the 2017 spaces and already get to write in it lots! :-)

• Like 1

I have one with little prompts in it.  I'm only in year one, so we shall see...but it has just a one-sentence response.  It will be interesting to see how much my answers change over the years.  If nothing has changed from the past year/s, I will just put quotation marks.  

• Like 1

What do you guys write in yours? Events from the day? feelings?

So I got one for dd who starts high school in the fall thinking that she can have it all through high school, but now I’m thinking that I would NOT want a full daily record of what high school was like for me. I hope her experience is better!

• Like 1

Haha sassenach , my dd and friend burned their journals of their teen years in a bon Fire during grad school .

• Like 1

I have a five-year journal and really like it.  It's the only way I could ever keep a journal, because I know it's just one or two lines.  I do it specifically to compare from year to year.  It's what I need to do these days.  I'm sure I'll find it helpful at some point! 

• Like 1

Haha sassenach , my dd and friend burned their journals of their teen years in a bon Fire during grad school .

That’s what I’m afraid of!

• Like 1

I have a five-year journal and really like it. It's the only way I could ever keep a journal, because I know it's just one or two lines. I do it specifically to compare from year to year. It's what I need to do these days. I'm sure I'll find it helpful at some point!

I think comparing what was going on year to year would be really intetesting and fun.