Menu

Lone Pine closing

There's another thread here -- http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/665567-wow-lone-pine-latin-is-closing-anyone-know-the-scoop/

I'd love to chat with any other parents with kids who take classes at Lone Pine to see where y'all end up.  I've been researching to find alternatives going forward, as we had planned to stick with LP through 400 and AP Latin.  (My daughter is in 300 and has done 100 & 200 w/Ms. K.)

• Like 1

My daughter is in 300 as well. She’s heartbroken. We had planned on finishing through AP with Mrs. K. Conventions have become a tradition for our whole family :( Would also like to know where the other kids end up. Lone pine is her happy place, even though it’s online!

• Like 1

My daughter is in 300 as well. She’s heartbroken. We had planned on finishing through AP with Mrs. K. Conventions have become a tradition for our whole family :( Would also like to know where the other kids end up. Lone pine is her happy place, even though it’s online!

When my daughter read the email, she immediately began to cry.  She loves Ms. K and LP.  We only went to convention last year, but my daughter enjoyed herself so much that one would have thought she knew the other kids for ages.  That's saying something since my daughter is an extreme introvert.  

It's so sad. :(

For those looking for options, I highly recommend Classical Learning Resource Center. They have live online classes from elementary through high school. Although there is no designated AP class, Anne Van Fossen tweaks the assignments for the kids who are taking it to help prepare them; she is FABULOUS to work with. I would encourage anyone looking for a provider to contact her with specific questions:  annevanfossen@clrconline.com

• Like 3

interesting that website has nothing about it

http://lonepineclassical.com/

Mark,

Ms Karppinen has communicated with the families currently taking classes with Lone Pine.  Arrangements for the spring are being made.  She has answered our emails, and has been open and honest.

She is one woman - a wonderful homeschool mom who teaches Latin classes online.  I do not think that she owes the general public  immediate communication. Lone Pine is not part of a larger school, with other teachers, or administrative support.  She is doing what she does best, teaching classes and working with teens.  Her classes provide more contact time for less tuition than any other online school I have ever found.  She constantly goes above and beyond, giving freely of her time outside of class.  She responds to emails more quickly than any other online provider. 

As a homeschool community, perhaps we need to consider what we are asking of teachers, particularly those who are homeschool parents themselves.

So, despite the closing of Lone Pine - maybe I should say this a few more times.  Karen Karppinen is an amazing teacher.  She has inspired my son to pursue a major in classics.  Karen has been a positive influence in his life, and I am so happy that we found her.  Whatever Karen ends up doing next, she will be a blessing to the kids she teaches.  She has a natural ability to connect with kids, and help them to connect with each other. She has offered something incredible for homeschool kids.  My family has been lucky to have known her.

Anne

• Like 7

Mark,

Ms Karppinen has communicated with the families currently taking classes with Lone Pine.  Arrangements for the spring are being made.  She has answered our emails, and has been open and honest.

She is one woman - a wonderful homeschool mom who teaches Latin classes online.  I do not think that she owes the general public  immediate communication. Lone Pine is not part of a larger school, with other teachers, or administrative support.  She is doing what she does best, teaching classes and working with teens.  Her classes provide more contact time for less tuition than any other online school I have ever found.  She constantly goes above and beyond, giving freely of her time outside of class.  She responds to emails more quickly than any other online provider. 

As a homeschool community, perhaps we need to consider what we are asking of teachers, particularly those who are homeschool parents themselves.

So, despite the closing of Lone Pine - maybe I should say this a few more times.  Karen Karppinen is an amazing teacher.  She has inspired my son to pursue a major in classics.  Karen has been a positive influence in his life, and I am so happy that we found her.  Whatever Karen ends up doing next, she will be a blessing to the kids she teaches.  She has a natural ability to connect with kids, and help them to connect with each other. She has offered something incredible for homeschool kids.  My family has been lucky to have known her.

Anne

I wasn't wishing any harm - I thought maybe no news was good news - hopefully this high quality teacher can hook up with another outfit offering online services

I wasn't wishing any harm - I thought maybe no news was good news - hopefully this high quality teacher can hook up with another outfit offering online services

In all honesty, Mark, I am sorry that I misunderstod.  I did not think that the intention of your short message was to wish her harm, but to complain about the lack of communication.  My family is heart-broken over the closing of Lone Pine, so I am still reacting emotionally.

• 1 month later...

I wondered if anyone has identified online providers that might be a good fit when transitioning from LonePine. I’m trying to decide what to do for fall.

I am in the same situation, oaktree; my daughter is likewise in the 100 class and she likes it so much she wishes to continue.

Jojosmom, thank you for the information about CLRC.  It was on my radar for a replacement for Lone Pine.

I do know of the other providers of Latin coursework.  We, however, are not a religious family, so many of the providers would not be a good fit for us (or RATHER our lack of religion means we are not a good fit for THEM; we have found religious bigotry quite a bit of an obstacle).  This leaves Lukeion, which might be too academically rigorous for dd.

Open to suggestions!

• Like 1

I am in the same situation, oaktree; my daughter is likewise in the 100 class and she likes it so much she wishes to continue.

Jojosmom, thank you for the information about CLRC.  It was on my radar for a replacement for Lone Pine.

I do know of the other providers of Latin coursework.  We, however, are not a religious family, so many of the providers would not be a good fit for us (or RATHER our lack of religion means we are not a good fit for THEM; we have found religious bigotry quite a bit of an obstacle).  This leaves Lukeion, which might be too academically rigorous for dd.

Open to suggestions!

You're welcome and I need to update the information that I provided. CLRC DOES provide and AP Latin class now. :)

Oh, and while the Van Fossens are Orthodox and CLRC does provide separate religious classes, the Latin classes use a secular curriculum and are taught from that perspective.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

"She is one woman - a wonderful homeschool mom who teaches Latin classes online. ... She is doing what she does best, teaching classes and working with teens."

I'm always appreciative of people who share their expertise and love for teaching with the wider homeschooling community. Sure, they need to make the cost analysis work for them and be financially compensated for their time and expertise. But I still see it as being out of a generous spirit that they teach. :thumbup:

• Like 2