Menu

S/o Bidets

sassenach

I don't think I would like the seperate ones. My mom has a little add on on her toilet. When a young friend found out she had hemorrhoid trouble he bought and installed one for her. He has the same sort of trouble and it was a game changer for him. My mom loves it. And when she had hemorrhoid surgery it was a lifesaver. At first I didn't think I would like it at all. But it has a very gentle spray that does not go all over the bathroom. Also it can be precisely aimed for individual or the individual can just move their bottom around a bit to make sure the right area is hit. I usually just sit there and drip dry for a minute and then dab dry with toilet paper but if I had one in my own home I think I would have a special stack of hand twelve for drying.

It really does make you feel free and clean. My mom uses it for after urinating too. She had had a lot of female and UTI troubles and it has really helped.

Edited by Scarlett

I don't think I would like the seperate ones. My mom has a little add on on her toilet. When a young friend found out she had hemorrhoid trouble he bought and installed one for her. He has the same sort of trouble and it was a game changer for him. My mom loves it. And when she had hemorrhoid surgery it was a lifesaver. At first I didn't think I would like it at all. But it has a very gentle spray that does not go all over the bathroom. Also it can be precisely aimed for individual or the individual can just move their bottom around a bit to make sure the right area is hit. I usually just sit there and drip dry for a minute and then dab dry with toilet paper but if I had one in my own home I think I would have a special stack of hand twelve for drying.

It really does make you feel free and clean. My mom uses it for after urinating too. She had had a lot of female and UTI troubles and it has really helped.

They have ones that blow-dry you too.  I am firmly convinced that once people get older these bidet seats are important for quality of life.  My MIL is a home companion, and when the people she cares for can't wipe themselves, it is a game-changer in a bad way for them.   As in, it is the beginning of the end in the way that breaking a hip used to be and spouse dying sometimes is.  I'd like my parents to get one before they NEED one while it is still a luxury.   

• Like 4

Some Japanese toilets come with both the sprayer and a dryer. (....and music and light shows)

Hmmm. Water + electricity + sensitive anatomy. What could go wrong? (queried the one who killed 2 appliances when the cord to the crockpot accidentally got pressed in the pannini press...)

Yeah, I need a step by step explanation. Does one waddle over like a penguin, or is this a bottomless production?

I love this thread. 

I don't know exactly how they work, but dang I wish these existed in America (I mean, as something other than a specialty item).

I bought a Brondell Swash 1000 from Costco for MomsintheGarden (and me) for Christmas and installed it this afternoon. She had never used one before today, but has now survived her first encounter! I have traveled to Japan quite a few times and have used them there on many occasions. They are everywhere: in the airport, in hotel rooms, in private residences, etc. At first they were a bit scary, since I am not able to read Japanese kanji characters and I was never quite sure what the pictures meant. In the end I rather liked them so when Costco offered an amazing deal before Christmas, I couldn't turn my back on it! ;)

For anyone who wants a detailed answer to *some* of your questions, here is the Owner's Manual for the Brondell Swash 1000 that we have.

We are just starting our home bidet journey, but here are some initial thoughts:

- I have always wondered about the question that OP asked. I still do...

- One feature of the bidet seat we bought is for sterilizing the nozzles:

Nozzle Sterilization - When activated, the silver oxide nano particle wash treatment has powerful anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties to keep the dual nozzles cleaner & more hygienic for a longer noxzzle life.

That sounds very high-tech, but to my mind the statement creates more questions than answers. How often should this be done? How many nano-particles are included with the seat? How long before we run out of said nano particles? Where can I get more nano particles?

- The air that blows to dry you off is a bit too cold for the first second or two and then is fine until your bum starts to get dry, then it starts to feel warm. I'm glad it is adjustable. Is there such a thing as "chapped butt"?

- I have not used the "front" nozzle, so I cannot comment on that feature. ;). Perhaps MomsintheGarden will comment on it, but I doubt it!

- It seems the default wash time is 2 minutes as is the default dry time.

- The heated seat is rather warm, even on low. I suspect MomsintheGarden will appreciate this feature even if she doesn't end up liking the rest.

- We installed the bidet seat on an elongated toilet bowl. I cannot imagine having one of these on a round toilet, as there would not be much room left.

- This thing has a remote control for all of the features. I found myself pressing lots of the buttons. I'm thinking this thing will need frequent washing and I should purchase a spare so that we don't find ourselves without it due to failure, or worse, submersion!

While I was installing the bidet seat on the toilet in our master bedroom, DS15, who is a major germiphobe, told me that he used to like that toilet the best, but that he would NEVER use that thing. I told him "GREAT!" And I hope all the other children follow suit! Unfortunately, I suspect the reality will be drastically different. Our toilet might become even more popular than it already is because of this thing. We'll see.

• Like 2

I bought a Brondell Swash 1000 from Costco for MomsintheGarden (and me) for Christmas and installed it this afternoon. She had never used one before today, but has now survived her first encounter! I have traveled to Japan quite a few times and have used them there on many occasions. They are everywhere: in the airport, in hotel rooms, in private residences, etc. At first they were a bit scary, since I am not able to read Japanese kanji characters and I was never quite sure what the pictures meant. In the end I rather liked them so when Costco offered an amazing deal before Christmas, I couldn't turn my back on it! ;)

For anyone who wants a detailed answer to *some* of your questions, here is the Owner's Manual for the Brondell Swash 1000 that we have.

We are just starting our home bidet journey, but here are some initial thoughts:

- I have always wondered about the question that OP asked. I still do...

- One feature of the bidet seat we bought is for sterilizing the nozzles:

That sounds very high-tech, but to my mind the statement creates more questions than answers. How often should this be done? How many nano-particles are included with the seat? How long before we run out of said nano particles? Where can I get more nano particles?

- The air that blows to dry you off is a bit too cold for the first second or two and then is fine until your bum starts to get dry, then it starts to feel warm. I'm glad it is adjustable. Is there such a thing as "chapped butt"?

- I have not used the "front" nozzle, so I cannot comment on that feature. ;). Perhaps MomsintheGarden will comment on it, but I doubt it!

- It seems the default wash time is 2 minutes as is the default dry time.

- The heated seat is rather warm, even on low. I suspect MomsintheGarden will appreciate this feature even if she doesn't end up liking the rest.

- We installed the bidet seat on an elongated toilet bowl. I cannot imagine having one of these on a round toilet, as there would not be much room left.

- This thing has a remote control for all of the features. I found myself pressing lots of the buttons. I'm thinking this thing will need frequent washing and I should purchase a spare so that we don't find ourselves without it due to failure, or worse, submersion!

While I was installing the bidet seat on the toilet in our master bedroom, DS15, who is a major germiphobe, told me that he used to like that toilet the best, but that he would NEVER use that thing. I told him "GREAT!" And I hope all the other children follow suit! Unfortunately, I suspect the reality will be drastically different. Our toilet might become even more popular than it already is because of this thing. We'll see.

There’s just so much that fascinates me about this post. Thanks for sharing your bidet experience!

But wow, all I can think about is how skeeved out I am by an airport bidet.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I bought a Brondell Swash 1000 from Costco for MomsintheGarden (and me) for Christmas and installed it this afternoon. She had never used one before today, but has now survived her first encounter! I have traveled to Japan quite a few times and have used them there on many occasions. They are everywhere: in the airport, in hotel rooms, in private residences, etc. At first they were a bit scary, since I am not able to read Japanese kanji characters and I was never quite sure what the pictures meant. In the end I rather liked them so when Costco offered an amazing deal before Christmas, I couldn't turn my back on it! 

Is it still being loved?

• Like 1

Isn’t this self correcting? You would KNOW if you’re hurting yourself and dial it down a notch. Is there an epidemic of overly aggressive wipers down under????

I think it's like people who hurt their gums brushing.  They get so keen on getting things clean they go to far.  I can also imagine that for people who have bottom related issues like piles, it could be a lot easier to either hurt yourself, or feel the need to be aggressive.

Bidets are part of Muslim culture as one needs to wash with water to be clean for prayer.

Depending on the culture, different things are used.  Many cultures simply use basically a garden watering can and their hand.  (Then of course, wash the hand.  FTR, left hand is always for toileting, right hand for eating in Muslim cultures.  My guess is that was a lot more hygienic 1400 years ago.)

We've used two types.  One being a diaper sprayer type thing (kind of a shower) and now something that is part of the toilet seat.  I prefer the toilet seat integrated kind, as the spray is more powerful, one doesn't have to reach around and such.... and there are different settings for spray power, male/female, etc.   Some of the fancy kinds have self cleaning wands.  If you look at one with heated water, note that it often involves an electrician for installation.  

Me and the kids are very American and use toilet paper for drying.  Some people will wipe with toilet paper, wash, and then wipe again to dry.  Other people just air dry.  I don't know of any who use a towel for drying their bum, but I'm sure it exists.

I got my non-Muslim Mom one a few months ago, and she has vowed she will never go back.  

If you ever have used the wet wipes designed for this, another big advantage is no clogging of your pipes...which can happen with those, even if they are sewer/septic safe.

We keep something like a gardening watering can in the bathroom, and I carry one of those peri bottles in the car and diaper bag or purse when we are travelling or out and need to use the bathroom. 

At home, some of us use family cloth (flannel squares) to dry - single use, the idea of a multi use towel kept near the toilet grosses me out, and sometimes they get some "mess" on them, but I've been washing cloth diapers for a couple of years now, and a little bit (not big chunks, of course...) washes out fine. 

Other family members don't dry. It's not really a big deal if you're already clean. We do keep toilet paper around for guests and for when the cloth runs out/needs to be washed. 

When my kids were very young we moved in to a house with bidets In two of the bathrooms. They thought they were water fountains. We had water pouring through the master bathroom ceiling from the upstairs bidet. I’d get rid of both of them if I could, but dh loves his bidet.

• 2 weeks later...