Menu

microscope recommendations?

DD decided to go ahead and start RSO Biology 2, and I'd really like to let her do the microscope labs.  Any advice on which are better and which to avoid??  She's the oldest and 11 1/2, so I don't mind getting a little spendy with this--we'll get a good bit of mileage out of it.

Thanks!

We bought the student one from Home Science Tools 5 years ago. It has held up well. We have taken it back and forth weekly to co-op for a couple of years besides home use for high school labs. It wasn't super expensive. We bought the one with a 5 year warranty, not the life time, but I expect it to hold up. 

• Like 1

This microscope is awesome:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MX03Q0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The best part is that we can connect it to the computer and everyone can see what we are viewing. Looking through the eyepiece is still a bit better, but the camera is so helpful, and makes it more fun for everyone.

And yes, brightfield means it is lit from underneath the specimen. So, the specimens must be very thin to view, because the light passes through them in order to illuminate them for viewing.

• Like 1