Menu

Are there great toilets, like Speed Queen are great washers?

Alessandra

There is so much knowledge here and so many great recommendations that I am hoping this extends to toilets. I need a new one and am confused by all the modern technology out there.

If you have something you love -- or hate -- can you share? Or just random opinions or links. I'd like a model that flushes well without requiring electric powered assist, as we can live se power fairly easily where I am.

ETA

I apologize for the awkward grammar of the title. It's late and I'm tired.

Edited by Alessandra

I've heard good things about the Toto Drake. They seem to have a cult following.

-----I'm in the market for a new toilet, so thanks for the thread!

This is the one we got in August. I love it and will probably get another one. Very dependable and water efficient. Our plumber recommended it and I researched it online and read reviews before deciding on it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am not a toilet expert, but I will tell you that getting one of the silent-closing seats is imperative. And a high toilet (like the number of inches above the floor) is a good thing.

Gosh I hate high toilets! And I'm tall.. I was just thinking about asking DH to change our toilets out to shorter ones.

Probably not what you are looking for, OP but my relatives have Toto neorest toilets and they are quite luxurious :)

• Like 6

Hahahahaha

so I'm not in the market for a new toilet, as we rent, but I thought hey, I'll go see what this Toto Toilet is for kicks.  

I look at the website, great, they look like toilets, I'm sure they're nice.  Check the price out of curiosity.

Most toilets that I have ever seen or known someone to purchase have been $100-$200.  My dad would have had a cow at paying $200 for a toilet but it's not super uncommon.

This Toto Toilet is like $4,000.  Four THOUSAND DOLLARS.  !!!!!

I just cannot even.  It's a toilet!  How much can you really improve on a toilet?

• Like 7

Hahahahaha

so I'm not in the market for a new toilet, as we rent, but I thought hey, I'll go see what this Toto Toilet is for kicks.  

I look at the website, great, they look like toilets, I'm sure they're nice.  Check the price out of curiosity.

Most toilets that I have ever seen or known someone to purchase have been $100-$200.  My dad would have had a cow at paying $200 for a toilet but it's not super uncommon.

This Toto Toilet is like $4,000.  Four THOUSAND DOLLARS.  !!!!!

I just cannot even.  It's a toilet!  How much can you really improve on a toilet?

Home Depot, Lowe's and Amazon have various models of Toto toilets listed in the $229-$450 or so range. That doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me. Although $4,000 certainly does!

• Like 3

We love our Totos. When we were updating our house, I basically told my contractor that I didn’t care what toilets we had, I just wanted them to FLUSH. The previous owners had put in these fancy looking toilets that clogged if you even looked at them. I was literally unclogging one or more toilets daily. I don’t need a toilet to look pretty. I need it to do it’s job.

Totos were pricier than some of your average models, but they certainly weren’t $4,000, speaking as someone who had to replace six toilets.

• Like 1

Wow, I can't believe the replies! But just what I was hoping for -- WTM consensus, lol. I was not that aware of Toto, as it's been a long time since I've replaced a toilet. I did have the impression that they were expensive, and I did see the $4000 model on the Home Depot website. Then there was a group of models in the $500-600 range, and the Drakes were in the $300-400 range. I'll read more carefully and look for the sani-flush, whatever that is.

When I buy, I'll probably go to a plumbing store, rather than big box store. I remember when I was buying a faucet I was told that manufacturers make sprightly different versions for big box and plumbing stores. Online seemed to confirm this, so I am wondering if it's the same with toilets....

As pp's have said, flushing is the most important thing. I am more familiar that I wish I were with not only plungers, but also toilet augers. Ugh, just ugh! I want something that works. Although I wouldn't pay $4000, reasonable price is not an object.

Thank you for all the replies -- and please keep posting! I trust WTM far more than "best" website reviews from unknown people.

ETA

I am also hoping for a toilet that is easy to keep clean. It's a plus if I can clean inside with a brush rather than having to do long plastic gloves and have to scrub around various curves an crevices. TMI, I know.

Edited by Alessandra

Consumer Reports rates the American Standard Champion 211BA very highly for flushability. It is around $270. As we have a dc who would clog the toilet at least weekly, we switched out the toilet in the kids bathroom last year with the champion and it has not clogged once. Not once! You have to hold the lever down longer than you would on an average toilet, but that is easily learned.

Edited by Kalmia

I am enjoying the thread too.  I'd like to get a new toilet.   Well, what I really want is one of those bidet toilet seats that not only washes, but also air dries with a remote control.   Since the shape you get is determined by the toilet, I'd like to replace the toilet first.  But, I don't have the toilet picked out yet.  

I am a firm believer in the courtesy flush and I've taught DH and DD to also, so I'm not worried about flushing large quantities.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

I had never heard of Toto toilets before this thread but I do know what I love about our newest toilet: straight sides, rather than that winding bit of ceramic that covers the piping and collects dust. I always hated hugging the toilet to clean that dust trap, especially since it was bathroom dust. Now, I have a toilet that just wipes down easily in one swipe. 

• Like 4

I read reviews before buying our last one but haven't been all that impressed. Last time we had girls staying the night one girl in particular clogged it no less than 4 times in less than 24 hours, I was ready to send her home (she evidently likes to use giant wads of TP I don't know if her family has industrial toilets or what).

And a big downvote for the high toilets, ergonomically the bowels should be more in a squatting position for defecation!

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I'm really glad that all of our toilets are high.  I have bad knees, and let me tell ya, when I go to a hotel or somewhere with low toilets, I have a hard time.  I recommend that everyone putting in toilets add at least one that is high, because chances are that you or your significant other will one day have bad knees.

When we redid our bathroom, we wandered around the showroom and I found a rimless toilet. Because I have terrible allergies, the idea of a toilet where there is no rim around the top for mold to hide under was vary appealing. Ours is a little on the tall side and doesn't have as much flush power as some, but if 'easy to clean' is a priority, look for 'rimless' as a feature.

When I moved into my 70s house, it had THREE harvest gold bathrooms. I was thrilled to replace them one by one with more water efficient white toilets. I still have one gold one. I’’m keeping it forever!!!!!! The old water hog never clogs and stays clean much longer than the new toilets.

• Like 3

If you have or like a high toilet, you can put a little footstool near the toilet and get the best of both worlds.  I saw this funny ad for one that showed a unicorn sitting on the toilet with its lower digestive tract drawn in.   If your knees are a bit up,it is a straight shot to leave the body.   I usually use the little trash can near the toilet.  

There is a reason that there is a black-market on working water-guzzler toilets.  

I have heard about the Toto toilets, but I went ahead and installed a Koehler one piece from HomeDepot. We’ve been happy with them so far. I’m the toilet installer in my houses. I’ve installed at least 6 and I like the one I mentioned above. I use the green spongy ring instead of the wax ring and it has made it soooo much easier.

Fwiw, chatter in the reviews says that there is a cracked tank issue with the American Standards...either upon arrival or in the first 3-4 months after purchase.

The Kohler Cimmaron and Highline also have good reviews.

I think we're going to purchase Totos; Lowe's prices are currently less than Home Depot and they offer free ship to store.

This thread reminds me of the book I got my Dad for Christmas: 

The Big Necessity: Unmentionable World of Human waste and why it matters. 

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Necessity-Unmentionable-World-Matters/dp/1250058309/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514397482&sr=1-1&keywords=the+big+necessity

They have a chapter of Japanese toilets and how they are wonderful. :) 

We own a plumbing company and I talk toilets all the time.  There will be some differences depending on your state.  Some states prohibit the sale of toilets that they think are not efficient enough.  The American Standard Champion has a very powerful flush even with a small amount of water.  Kohler Highline (comfort height) and Kohler Wellworth (standard height) are dependable overall toilets with insides that are easy to replace.  Home Depot sells a Cimmeron model that is very good and inexpensive.  As far as height,  you have a choice of comfort (high) height, standard (low) height, and right height (in between).  You can choose between a round front and an elongated front.  The elongated takes up about 2 more inches in front.  We generally recommend two piece toilets instead of a one piece.  Slow close lids prevent noise from banging.  There are so many options when it comes to toilets.  I recommend seeing what plumbers in your area recommend.  Water quality can also have an impact of the type of toilet that is recommended.

• Like 2

I had never heard of Toto toilets before this thread but I do know what I love about our newest toilet: straight sides, rather than that winding bit of ceramic that covers the piping and collects dust. I always hated hugging the toilet to clean that dust trap, especially since it was bathroom dust. Now, I have a toilet that just wipes down easily in one swipe.

I saw one of the Toto models had strange got sides. It looked easy to clean.

ETA. Thank you, Autocorrect! By 'strange got' I meant straight.

When I moved into my 70s house, it had THREE harvest gold bathrooms. I was thrilled to replace them one by one with more water efficient white toilets. I still have one gold one. I’’m keeping it forever!!!!!! The old water hog never clogs and stays clean much longer than the new toilets.

I have an ancient American Standard that really flushes, but the insides are dying.

I have heard about the Toto toilets, but I went ahead and installed a Koehler one piece from HomeDepot. We’ve been happy with them so far. I’m the toilet installer in my houses. I’ve installed at least 6 and I like the one I mentioned above. I use the green spongy ring instead of the wax ring and it has made it soooo much easier.

Wow, you do thus yourself, I'm impressed. I do a lot of home repair myself, but have always avoided toilets, as potential for leaks.... just eeew. Edited by Alessandra

We own a plumbing company and I talk toilets all the time. There will be some differences depending on your state. Some states prohibit the sale of toilets that they think are not efficient enough. The American Standard Champion has a very powerful flush even with a small amount of water. Kohler Highline (comfort height) and Kohler Wellworth (standard height) are dependable overall toilets with insides that are easy to replace. Home Depot sells a Cimmeron model that is very good and inexpensive. As far as height, you have a choice of comfort (high) height, standard (low) height, and right height (in between). You can choose between a round front and an elongated front. The elongated takes up about 2 more inches in front. We generally recommend two piece toilets instead of a one piece. Slow close lids prevent noise from banging. There are so many options when it comes to toilets. I recommend seeing what plumbers in your area recommend. Water quality can also have an impact of the type of toilet that is recommended.

Thanks for the advice. I always check with my plumbers first and go to the showroom attached to the same plumbing supply place they use. My last purchase was a kitchen faucet and I enjoyed talking to the experts.

I remember years ago (before Totos came on the market) I was told that the plumbers' trucks always had parts for American Standard and Koehler. I do want to make sure that the model I choose is plumber-approved, lol.

And, as the satisfied owner of a Speed Queen washer and dryer, I am so happy about advice from WTM too.

Btw, why do you recommend two piece?

I have an ancient American Standard that really flushes, but the insides are dying.

Wow, you do thus yourself, I'm impressed. I do a lot of home repair myself, but have always avoided toilets, as potential for leaks.... just eeew.

It really isn't hard.   The trick is to put drinking straws on the bolts that stick up from the ground.  That way you can guide the holes on the toilet onto the bolts while you are still far away from the floor.   Then adjust the position of the toilet so that it is level and straight above the holes.   And keep it level and straight as you drop the toilet.  

• Like 1

We recommend a two piece because you can replace the tank or the bowl without having to replace the entire toilet.  It is not a big deal if you don't have little kids, but often things get flushed down the toilet and get stuck in the throat of the toilet.  When this happens, the bowl has to be replaced.  Also, if you have water that eats away at parts, you can have the tank replaced without having to replace the bowl.  We do recommend a one piece if someone is very large and tends to lean back because they are less likely to break the back off of a 1 piece.  You would not believe some of the things we have seen.  Two weeks ago we had to break a toilet to see what was blocking it.  A child had flushed a troll doll.  It had expanded and was stuck- there was no way to get it out without breaking the toilet.  The residents had continually plunged the toilet and had pushed the troll so far back that it could not be grabbed. 

• Like 1

It really isn't hard. The trick is to put drinking straws on the bolts that stick up from the ground. That way you can guide the holes on the toilet onto the bolts while you are still far away from the floor. Then adjust the position of the toilet so that it is level and straight above the holes. And keep it level and straight as you drop the toilet.

One time a plumber replace a toilet and water leaked out of the wax ring where the toilet seats on the top of the flange. Next plumber used two walk rings, iirc, and compressed them. Still leaked. Apparently the height of the floor and the height of the flange are not right? In any case, that entire bathroom has to be redone. No backer board (just plaster) behind the wall tiles around the bath. Super slippery wall tiles used as floor tiles. I just hope I don't need a new subfloor. But that is fot later. Right now I'm just replacing one toilet in a downstairs half bath.

Hahahahaha

I look at the website, great, they look like toilets, I'm sure they're nice. Check the price out of curiosity.

Most toilets that I have ever seen or known someone to purchase have been $100-$200. My dad would have had a cow at paying $200 for a toilet but it's not super uncommon.

This Toto Toilet is like $4,000. Four THOUSAND DOLLARS. !!!!!

I just cannot even. It's a toilet! How much can you really improve on a toilet?

The Toto neorest is self cleaning, heated seat, bidet with multiple settings, auto everything :) it's actually super fun. I kind of love visiting my aunt and uncle lol

• Like 2

It really isn't hard. The trick is to put drinking straws on the bolts that stick up from the ground. That way you can guide the holes on the toilet onto the bolts while you are still far away from the floor. Then adjust the position of the toilet so that it is level and straight above the holes. And keep it level and straight as you drop the toilet.

The problem with wax rings is that you only have one shot before the wax gets ruined. The green spongy ring allows for adjustments. I love them. I can’t believe that I said I loved a toilet plumbing part. Hahaha.

• Like 3

Wow, you do thus yourself, I'm impressed. I do a lot of home repair myself, but have always avoided toilets, as potential for leaks.... just eeew.

I thought that too, but after 4 kids, cloth diapering, and a ton of dirty diapers an old toilet is nothing. I just make sure the toilet is reasonably clean before starting.

• Like 2

We recommend a two piece because you can replace the tank or the bowl without having to replace the entire toilet.  It is not a big deal if you don't have little kids, but often things get flushed down the toilet and get stuck in the throat of the toilet.  When this happens, the bowl has to be replaced. 

Interesting since I've unfortunately had this happen multiple times.  Once I've used the router and realize that there is something stuck and not just a wad of TP, we drain the water, pop off the bowl and then run the router back through from the other side forcing the object back out the way it came.  I've never had that fail.  Good thing wax rings are really cheap because we've had to use a lot of them.

• Like 2

So far we haven't replaced the whole unit but my kids are very good at either jamming objects in the bowl or knocking the bowl around so much that that break the wax ring.  I was very intimidated the first time we had to do this (but DH was unemployed at the time and we had absolutely nothing to work with to hire someone), thankfully a friend talked us through it over the phone.  I couldn't believe how easy it was.  Now if it involved the actual mechanisms in the tank, I might have to spend some more time on it, but I can replace the seal on the bowl in about 15 minutes.

• Like 2

We bought the Kohler Cimarron for the house we built a few years ago.  Comfort height, elongated bowl.  I purchased them online from Home Depot when they were on sale.  I used ebates also.  If I remember correctly, there were around $128.  We picked them up in the store.  I've been happy with them and would purchase them again, if I needed new toilets.  

This thread reminds me of the book I got my Dad for Christmas: 

The Big Necessity: Unmentionable World of Human waste and why it matters. 

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Necessity-Unmentionable-World-Matters/dp/1250058309/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514397482&sr=1-1&keywords=the+big+necessity

They have a chapter of Japanese toilets and how they are wonderful. :)

I have a son who would like this book. I think I'll keep it in mind for next Christmas.

• Like 1

We have some extra large bowel movement issues in our house. At one point all 3 toilets were plugged. We bought Kohler toilets from Lowes and they are great. Lots of power, quick flushes, and they don't plug up easily. After 2 years, one of them did plug. That's a success for us. 

• Like 1

Interesting since I've unfortunately had this happen multiple times.  Once I've used the router and realize that there is something stuck and not just a wad of TP, we drain the water, pop off the bowl and then run the router back through from the other side forcing the object back out the way it came.  I've never had that fail.  Good thing wax rings are really cheap because we've had to use a lot of them.

Usually, this can be done.  However, about 10% of the time the item is so wedged in there that it cannot be removed.  It depends on the shape of the throat.  Some throats are an S-shape and those tend to be the worse.

• Like 1