Menu

What is Conceptual Chemistry?

So I'm looking for an asynchronous chemistry for my daughter next year and I stumbled across Conceptual Academy. I'm wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between the chemistry taught on that site and say Novare through Wilson Hill (dd is currently studying WH Physics). Thanks!

Don't have an answer for your specific question, but just wanted to also throw out there that Dicentra of these boards is launching her online Chemistry courses for the 2018-19 school year. She posted some excellent sample support videos at the start of this year, and after looking at those, I would highly recommend putting her courses on the table as you consider all of your online Chemistry options. :)

Clover Valley Chemistry

• Like 1

So I'm looking for an asynchronous chemistry for my daughter next year and I stumbled across Conceptual Academy. I'm wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between the chemistry taught on that site and say Novare through Wilson Hill (dd is currently studying WH Physics). Thanks!

Is this what you were looking at, taffnus?

https://learnscience.academy/chemistry/

What stood out to me was that the full course version and the college prep version both had this disclaimer in the course descriptions:

"Works well as a preparation for college general chemistry, but only when the student also has strong math skills."

From what I can tell, the courses are not strong in chemistry problem solving which is an important skill (in my opinion :) ) for anyone wanting to go on to college-level chemistry.  Novare is (from what I've heard and from looking at their TOC and samples) is a rigorous text and covers the standard topics that I would expect in a college-prep chem course (kinetics, equilibrium, a bit of thermodynamics, etc.).

Don't have an answer for your specific question, but just wanted to also throw out there that Dicentra of these boards is launching her online Chemistry courses for the 2018-19 school year. She posted some excellent sample support videos at the start of this year, and after looking at those, I would highly recommend putting her courses on the table as you consider all of your online Chemistry options. :)

Clover Valley Chemistry

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lori! :)  I'm hoping to have a few more sample video lectures ready to view in the next little while so folks can have their students "try out" my teaching style before they make their final decision as to whether they want to go with Clover Valley Chemistry. :)

And for the OP - I am offering online chem courses so there's the disclaimer for that. :)  I wanted to give you an answer to your question, though, because I never want anyone to feel like I'm pushing my chem courses over anyone else's chem courses.  I always want folks to feel like they can get an honest appraisal of chem courses or resources from me - even if that means that I'm suggesting a course other than my own. :)

• Like 1