Menu

Ancients for a 6th grader: Lets chat. Please. Pretty, pretty please!

camibami

My "plan" for 6th-ish (an international move will push our school year start to probably October, but) was SL Core 6, for ancients. But we are doing 7 this year, and I don't think 6 will work for DD next year. I need something a little more challenging for her. Or not, but I am looking into the options out there now since I want it all bought prior to the move!

I like the look of Beautiful Feet Ancients Intermediate. But, it doesn't look like "enough" for a whole year, to me. Reading-wise, there aren't many books, but I could add to it from SL books, the high school books, etc. Anyone used it, have a review?

Also, I doesn't appear that any program save SOTW incorporates *world* history. I really like having Asia, Europe, etc incuded in ancients, not just Rome and Greece and little bit o Egypt.Is there anything out there like this, for upper grades? With tied in (and preferably scheduled, ala SL) literature selections?

We're doing MOH, Vol 1. My dd is 6th grade this year. The lessons themselves are fairly short and understandable. There are lots of add-on ideas with each lesson such as research, crafts, projects, etc. It combines world and biblical history in chronological order. There is map work, suggested time-line (we aren't doing this), quizzes, quarterly tests, etc. I am having my dd also read a lot of suggested books for ancients.

It's been great for me since I'm doing it with my ds, also. There are suggested activities for younger students. I'm not the most knowledgeable in ancient history, so I've learned quite a bit myself. The only thing I don't like about it is the way she writes sometimes. It's as if she's speaking to you, at times, and commenting on her personal feelings about topics.

I'm curious...what about SL is not challenging for her? Is it the literature? Is it the amount of work? Core 6 uses SOTW 1-2 and there are plenty of books to read. She could also do the read-alouds on her own (that's what my dd did). You could buy the SOTW activity guide, do the mapwork and add some projects or hands on activities. Buy the tests and have her take those as well. Instead of using Usborne, use the Kingfisher encyclopedia (reading assignments are in the SOTW AG) and have her outline it. Have her construct a timeline and do written narrations based on your literature discussions. Or add in some literature guides (like Progeny Press) to dig deeper into the literature. We've done SL 6 and 7, and this would be more than enough for an advanced 6th grader. If you like SL, I would say stick with it and add to it if need be. With SL, there isn't alot of busywork, but they are learning a lot! Hope these ideas are helpful. :)

Have you looked at Tapestry of Grace's Year 1 redesign? In fact, it is on sale as I type.

What is nice about TOG is that you can go up and down in level of difficulty. It incorporates world history...meaning more than just Mesopotamia, Greece and Rome, along with lots of church/bible history. It gives you activity choices to pick and choose from. Student Activity Pages with literature, history, and bible questions for her to answer. Mapping assignments. Vocabulary, extensive teacher notes, etc. TOG is a veritable buffet! I came to TOG from many years of SL and find it much more in-depth than SL.

Anyhow, just another option. I own SL's Core 6, my older boys used it, and I still chose TOG's Y1 over re-using it. That should tell ya something... ;)

TOG is having some financial problems right now and have many of their books on sale, as well as their Year 1. If you are at all interested, don't wait too long to have a look-see! http://www.tapestryofgrace.com

I would second combining Mystery of History and Sonlight. Do you have access to the Sonlight forums? I've joined in a number of discussions over there so you could do a search. It really is 'world' history plus ups the depth over SOTW. The first book may not a whole lot but the second does a fair bit and you would probably want to cover both of them to cover the same time as Sonlight does. The tests and mapping are perfect for that age. You could also incorporate some of her activites and writing assignments.

I would second combining Mystery of History and Sonlight. Do you have access to the Sonlight forums? I've joined in a number of discussions over there so you could do a search. It really is 'world' history plus ups the depth over SOTW. The first book may not a whole lot but the second does a fair bit and you would probably want to cover both of them to cover the same time as Sonlight does. The tests and mapping are perfect for that age. You could also incorporate some of her activites and writing assignments.

I did this. When my older boys were doing SL Core 6 together, I added in MOH along with it's tests, timeline & mapping. By mid-year, when I was going to have to begin adding in MOH 2, we were sooooo burnt out that we dropped MOH completely and finished up the year with Core 6 as-is. It was just too much.

If you don't have to have Core 6 completed by years end, then I think adding in MOH would be terrific. It's a great resource. But, if you want to complete this in one school year, prepare yourself for a lot of work. I basically felt like I re-wrote the SL schedule...actually I did! I had an MOH/Core 6 schedule that someone else had already made out giving me which MOH chapters went with which SL chapters, but it was up to me to schedule out where to fit them in and on what day, etc. No offense to those out there who use MOH with Core 6, but I felt it was overkill and too much work in any given week.

MOH adds in a LOT of Bible history that SOTW in Core 6 does not. SOTW moves along at a very quick pace using SL's schedule, where MOH does not. You can use them together, but it will be a lot of work if you want them to line up 'historically.' If you just want to add in MOH as is, and not worry about lining it up with the history you're learning in Core 6, then that would be a much easier task.

In all honesty, I would pick one or the other. Complete Core 6 as-is and just add in plenty of writing assignments, etc. Or use only MOH, adding in literature. MOH already has quizzes and cummulative tests included in the program, as well as mapping assignments, activities, & timeline work. MOH has lots of bible history, so you could actually use it as part of your bible requirements, as well as world history.

I still think TOG is the best of both worlds though, and would probably have what you're looking for. Plus, not only is SOTW scheduled for you as an alternate resource, but I also have a schedule for using MOH with it as well. And TOG incorporates their bible in, like MOH, so it's considered history...which is what it is. TOG is also very meaty, with great thinking and accountability questions, evaluations for testing purposes, activities, timeline work, vocabulary work, lots of history books, literature, etc...

Anyhow, 'nuff said! I just wanted to throw in my two-cents of experience with the programs recommended. ;) There is no perfect fit for everyone...just a perfect fit for you and yours. I pray you find what works for you. :)

SL's readers are a little light for her, so thats why I am thinking of looking for another ancients program. I can add in more readers or change them out of course, and I do like SL's LA quite a bit. (I'm the only person on the planet who does, because it gets horrid reviews, but we like it!).

I am looking for not-much Bible history, so MOH and Tapestry might not be good fits. Ditto Veritas Press, for some other reasons.TOG is in the "considering" pile. I haven't looked at History Odyssey at all, and I liked their science very much, so I will have to.

Using History of the Ancient World as a spine is a great idea- I may do that. Or just stick with Core 6 and add in more books. Mostly, I am looking for what "else" is out there, so keep the programs coming!! I have had great fun looking at (and rejecting for various reasons, LOL) the suggestions from this thread.

Thank you!