Menu

Double dipping and licking the jelly spoon - vent

Hoggirl

My father-in-law is a notorious double dipper. So much so, that if dip comes out, we scurry to eat as much as we can before he meanders over to it. This morning I witnessed a new trick. He put jelly on his first piece of toast, put the entire spoon in his mouth and licked off the remaining jelly, and set the spoon on his plate. Five minutes later, he put that SAME SPOON back in the jelly jar to get jelly for his second piece of toast!

He is 82 years old, but other than moving slowly, he has no issues whatsoever. He is not cognitively impaired at all. I'm sorry, but you can teach a four-year-old not to double dip or lick a utensil and reuse it in a communal jelly jar! Ugh!!! It is so gross!

Rant over.

Edited by Hoggirl

Very gross! I have everyone scoop some dip into their plate with their chips. And I keep a serving spoon for the dip.

I abhor double dipping.

The spoon thing in the jelly. Wow. Yuck! I would have to throw away the jelly jar after that!

I also have a major issue with people who lick their fingers. Oh the germs! I just cringe. I’m all for tongs and serving spoons. I don’t want freshly licked fingers touching food.

• Like 3

Very gross, yes. But I doubt anyone will die from it. It was common practice for many, many years, and it's only been in our recent germophobic history that people have found issue with it. But don't get me wrong, I still think it's gross.

That’s what I’m thinking. When our Chinese exchange students visited, they made us a traditional Chinese meal and taught us how to eat it. We all have our own chopsticks and eat out of a communal bowl—so lick your chopstick, stick in communal bowl, lick...etc. I recently read an article that talked about the health benefits of the Chinese people who eat this way. Builds up the immune system. But in the US, today? It’s just super gross. I was kinda grossed out when we did it with the Chinese kids, but didn’t want to offend.

I’m not sure you can change an 82 yo man though. It was probably acceptable when he was young wherever he lived. I would wonder about everything in the fridge, though, and avoid eating things from jars. Blech!

• Like 6

The more I think about this, the more I realize that this is DH's idea of an ideal empty-nest situation - having your own jelly jar, with the rights to dip as desired.  In DH's case, that jar would be peanut butter, the sugary, cheap kind.  :)  Maybe your FIL is just enjoying having the place to himself, and has gotten into the habit.  I wouldn't be surprised if he also drank from the milk jug.  Not awesome for company, though.  

• Like 4

I find it gross too, but not for germ reasons. Just spit reasons, lol. 

When I was little, we didn't have running water inside, so we kept a big metal tub/pan of water in the kitchen with a dipper hanging on the side. If anybody wanted a drink, they drank out of the dipper. I remember there being one of those at some other people's houses back then, too, so I think it was pretty common. 

• Like 3

I know a man significantly younger that does this with whatever he is making. If you think about it, it was common in the old days to stir the soup, take a sip, add some more salt or spice, then stir it with the same spoon.

Obviously considered gross now, but perfectly acceptable 30 years ago. (This is the opposite of how some things that used to be considered gross are perfectly acceptable today.)

I admit to giggling instead of gagging when I see it. (And, I happily eat the chilli, gravy, or whatever else this guy makes.) But when I don't have to share, I'm a big double dipper, too. So, I'm naturally uncouth.

• Like 7

Double dipping happens, but spoon thing is kind of Gross. Even though the germs probably already dried up and died, it’s still gross.

At our fancy hotel brunch this morning, my mother watched the lady in front of her take the knife out of the butter, lick it, then Put it back in and declare that it was not cream cheese. This led to buffet horror stories and reminded me why I only eat them once a year.

That said, the reason I am hesitant to eat at potlucks is because I know that *I* don’t practice excellent hygiene habits :/

• Like 1

Double dipping happens, but spoon thing is kind of Gross. Even though the germs probably already dried up and died, it’s still gross.

At our fancy hotel brunch this morning, my mother watched the lady in front of her take the knife out of the butter, lick it, then Put it back in and declare that it was not cream cheese. This led to buffet horror stories and reminded me why I only eat them once a year.

That said, the reason I am hesitant to eat at potlucks is because I know that *I* don’t practice excellent hygiene habits :/

Ew, ew, ew!!!
  • Like 1

Lots of things like this hit the ick factor hard but are very unlikely to actually cause any health issues.  I remember several years ago when the news had stories about how unhealthy it was to store your toothbrush in the bathroom uncovered because of all the toilet bowl germs that float into the air with every flush.  I shrugged and figured that it would have made us ill already if it was going to.  My toothbrush is still stored uncovered in the bathroom.

I would totally eat jelly out of FIL's jar.

• Like 7

Lots of things like this hit the ick factor hard but are very unlikely to actually cause any health issues.  I remember several years ago when the news had stories about how unhealthy it was to store your toothbrush in the bathroom uncovered because of all the toilet bowl germs that float into the air with every flush.  I shrugged and figured that it would have made us ill already if it was going to.  My toothbrush is still stored uncovered in the bathroom.

I would totally eat jelly out of FIL's jar.

Myth Busters tested the toothbrush scenario and found there was actually very little difference in bacterial growth.  If I'm remembering correctly, the one stored in the medicine chest actually had the worst contamination.

So, you are correct - very little concern.  (I suspect the same with the jelly, as well)

• Like 3

That’s what I’m thinking. When our Chinese exchange students visited, they made us a traditional Chinese meal and taught us how to eat it. We all have our own chopsticks and eat out of a communal bowl—so lick your chopstick, stick in communal bowl, lick...etc. I recently read an article that talked about the health benefits of the Chinese people who eat this way. Builds up the immune system. But in the US, today? It’s just super gross. I was kinda grossed out when we did it with the Chinese kids, but didn’t want to offend.

I’m not sure you can change an 82 yo man though. It was probably acceptable when he was young wherever he lived. I would wonder about everything in the fridge, though, and avoid eating things from jars. Blech!

So many hygiene rules are cultural. Truly. Much of the world eat communally

• Like 5

The way that I saw this done in China was that your chopsticks only touched the piece of food that you then took for yourself.  So there is only a very vague possibility of cross-contamination.  It assumes good, precise chopstick work.

It's common these days, in non-family situations, to have serving spoons or serving chopsticks.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Not a germ-a-phobe, but the jelly spoon would probably ick me out.  I mean, not enough to not have some more jelly, just enough to make me think, "ick!"

My personal double-dipping standards are situation specific.  In the nuclear family, I'd double dip.  At a party, no way.  Cooking and taste testing, I double dip.  Whatever I'm cooking is usually boiling anyway, so I assume that's fine.  

I also eat raw cookie dough, cake batter, etc.  

I teach my kids not to double dip.  I am still working with one kid who doesn't double dip, but will routinely use a serving spoon to add salsa or sour cream or something, but she allows the spoon to contact the food on the plate, then puts it back into the salsa/sour cream.  Once it's contaminated, it goes bad fast, so I'm trying to train her to "snap" the spoon well above the food so the desired condiment falls off without contamination.  

• Like 2

Respiratory flu and a bit of a stomach thing has been going around here so I was careful to remind my kids to use utensils, not fingers, cough politely, etc. Then my fil stuck his fingers multiple times into the ham serving dishes and another older family member who was sick coughed all over without covering . .

People are falling ill, one x one. New count of illness this morning that I know of is 3 out of the 15 who were here yesterday. I know in my head that they probably would have gotten sick anyway but it grosses me out, just the same!

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 1