Menu

Dd got me eco friendly laundry balls for the wash. Anyone use them?

Prairie~Phlox

I have not used one but I have known some people who have used them.  They all went back to detergent as these things just move around in the water and don't actually clean.  It is like scrubbing your dirty clothes in a bucket of water only.

Whoever wrote this Wiki article was pretty biased and I am surprised it stayed on the website with this much bias, but I happen to agree with much of what is said here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laundry_ball

Sorry, that probably wasn't what you were looking for.

I DO cut down on the amount of detergent.  I use half the recommended amount, as that is what washing machine manufacturers have recommended (the recommended amount on the bottle is from the soap manufacturer and many washing machine manufacturers say this is too much and can be harmful to your machine.)

There are eco friendly detergents and if you use half you save money.  That is about as much as I can advise.

Edited by DawnM

I used eco-nuts for a while but they didn't work great. Also they loosed their effectiveness if you forgot and put them in the dryer (which happened a few times!). I think if you don't reuse them that often they can work well. I believe in the concept they just didn't end up saving that much money. 

Wow, that wiki article is a doozy!  I bet it's still up because it included so many citations.  

I've used a round washer cup that lets you put the detergent right into the front-loader machine, instead of into the machine's dispenser which dispenses too much soap.  It worked well for me, though now that the kids are bigger I buy the pods (so stinkin' easy).  Maybe that's what the OP received?  

I got these: Reusable Non-Toxic Green Clean Eco Washer Laundry Balls - Environmentally Friendly All Natural Alternative Laundry Detergent, Eco Friendly and Chemical Free, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3NR22B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mZBqAbT86YTYX

A few of us decided that you had to have the perfect water and maybe not sweat for them to work. We had stinky laundry from it.

• Like 1