Menu

Stupid people

Scarlett

No one said, unless I missed it, that they thought people should take the trash out to the dumpster and replace their trash bag. We're talking about leaving your own trash on the floor. How about some problem solving? Smash the trash down, keep an extra bag in your desk if your company isnt providing enough services. It can't be that hard.

And to my knowledge nobody has made the claim that that was said.

Since you're using my phrasing I am making the assumption that you are making a passive/aggressive response to my post. When I used that phrasing, it was in response to someone who actually DID make the claim that followed.

Sometimes putting one's trash on the floor is what's expected. Seriously. Yes, I'm sure that many people have not experienced this firsthand - doesn't mean it isn't true. The problem was overflowing trashcans. Believe it or not, trash can STILL overflow if it is smashed down. Since this isn't that common of a problem, according to the OP, I wouldn't expect a non-custodial employee to provide trash bags for the office. 

And as unpleasant as it is, cleaning an office really isn't that hard, overflowing trash bags and all. So I agree. I can't be that hard.

• Like 1

And to my knowledge nobody has made the claim that that was said.

Since you're using my phrasing I am making the assumption that you are making a passive/aggressive response to my post. When I used that phrasing, it was in response to someone who actually DID make the claim that followed.

Sometimes putting one's trash on the floor is what's expected. Seriously. Yes, I'm sure that many people have not experienced this firsthand - doesn't mean it isn't true. The problem was overflowing trashcans. Believe it or not, trash can STILL overflow if it is smashed down. Since this isn't that common of a problem, according to the OP, I wouldn't expect a non-custodial employee to provide trash bags for the office.

And as unpleasant as it is, cleaning an office really isn't that hard, overflowing trash bags and all. So I agree. I can't be that hard.

We will just have to agree to disagree that overflowing trash should be a thing at all.

I have had a lot of jobs. Cleaning an office is not 'hard' nor is it easy.

It's been a long time since I worked in an office. I do remember, though, that we had 2 trashcans in our cubicles: one for recyclable paper, one for real trash such as food wrappers, etc. There were also large cans for food-related trash in the kitchen, and large recycling cans in a couple places in the building so that if someone had an unusual amount of trash or paper recycling in a day (offices were cleaned nightly), people could dispose of it. The recycling cans didn't have liners, since they were just for paper. I don't remember ever having to deal with my lined trashcan.

This was in the mid-90s. I would expect that now there is even more separation of trash in an office environment. But reading this thread, it sounds as if there's not?

I'm having a hard time believing that even highly-paid workers are so tied to their desks that they never get up to use the bathroom, get more coffee, refill their water bottle, etc., and thus couldn't also dispose of excess trash, except perhaps some extraordinarily busy times such as jdahlquist described. My husband, who has been a highly-paid engineer and is now a moderately-paid IT sort of guy, agrees with my thinking on this.

ETA: Oh, and we also had locked cans for confidential papers that had to be shredded. They were in the copy room... and everyone was expected to hand-carry their papers to that room and put them in the locked bins, no delegating that to cleaning staff or anyone else.

This is the same set-up my 1k person building has now, except we empty our own individual trash into large trash barrels in the hall that are emptied daily. There's a whole bin of liners there, so I just keep a pile in the bottom of my trash can so I can immediately insert a new liner after taking out my trash. I just drop the old bag in the trash barrel on my way out the door. Only the common areas of our offices are cleaned regularly because the cleaning staff works during the day. So if someone doesn't keep their own cubicle clean, a cleaning person isn't going to do it for them. A few times per year they vacuum and wet vac in our cubes overnight.

I used to have a coworker that was so messy that a couple times a year our secretary, and old friend of his, would put on gloves and go into his cube to pick up the worst of the mess. Recently, some areas in the building were not doing a good enough job of cleaning up their own food stuff, and we ended up with mice in the building.

• Like 1

At any rate I don't see why they don't just switch out the trash cans and bags for the next size up.  It's the most logical solution to a simple problem.

The dust mop thing, I would have made the same mistake - as the person I am now, I'd either rinse out and hang the mop head up to dry or leave a note for the cleaner saying, hey, I'm so sorry, I used this mop to clean up a water spill but I was unsure of how to dry it out afterward.

As the person I was at say 20-25, I would totally have just put it back in the closet and hoped I'd never meet the cleaning lady in person because I would realize after mopping up the spill that I was out of my league, had no idea what to do next, and would just really want to not be noticed for it :)

But I have always put my carts back in the cart corral.

• Like 1

<snip>

When I worked in an office, there were lots of things that I saw that needed attending to - toilets, floors, trash cans, etc. I could have spent a significant portion of my work day attending to those things. My employers were not hiring me to do those things. They made it clear that besides the immediate cleaning-up after oneself, they expected their office employees to do the jobs they were hired to do. IME that isn't unusual.

<snip>

Now we are talking about non-custodial staff cleaning toilets and floors?  When did that start?  I thought we were talking about overflowing trash cans.

And, wouldn't dealing with an overflowing trash can in one's cubicle or office or near vicinity be part of "immediate cleaning up after oneself" anyway?  Kind of like, don't leave your coffee cup in the breakroom sink and expect someone else to wash it for you?   

• Like 2

Now we are talking about non-custodial staff cleaning toilets and floors?  When did that start?  I thought we were talking about overflowing trash cans.

And, wouldn't dealing with an overflowing trash can in one's cubicle or office or near vicinity be part of "immediate cleaning up after oneself" anyway?  Kind of like, don't leave your coffee cup in the breakroom sink and expect someone else to wash it for you?   

No, *I* mentioned the toilets and floors as something I noticed that needed cleaning but didn't, because it wasn't my job. Much like emptying a trash can.

And no, emptying a trash can is not always "immediately cleaning up after oneself". I have worked in an office where we were asked not to, and given the option of placing trash on the floor next to the can. There are many scenarios where emptying the trash is not the best or most appropriate choice and many of them have been given as examples in this thread. That people choose not to believe them and instead choose to label people as lazy is really rude. But not surprising at the hive.

• Like 1

No, *I* mentioned the toilets and floors as something I noticed that needed cleaning but didn't, because it wasn't my job. Much like emptying a trash can.

And no, emptying a trash can is not always "immediately cleaning up after oneself". I have worked in an office where we were asked not to, and given the option of placing trash on the floor next to the can. There are many scenarios where emptying the trash is not the best or most appropriate choice and many of them have been given as examples in this thread. That people choose not to believe them and instead choose to label people as lazy is really rude. But not surprising at the hive.

Wait. You worked somewhere and were instructed to not empty your own trash but to instead place the trash next to the trash can on the floor?

I find that....insane. I can think of no normal healthy explanation for that.

Wait. You worked somewhere and were instructed to not empty your own trash but to instead place the trash next to the trash can on the floor?

The explanation is that not all trash is gross and so isn't unsanitary to be on the floor. Like paper - I would venture to guess the most common kind of trash in an office. 

And because you've worded it in a way that I'm not sure you understood... the trash goes in the can, and if it was full, you place your additional trash on the floor next to the can. There isn't anything unhealthy or insane about that.

Honestly, Scarlett, I don't understand how you can read through so many people's differing experiences with this and still maintain that people who don't empty their own trash at work are lazy? Are you truly unable to see that there are different circumstances and different expectations than yours? Maybe these particular office workers are lazy - you are the only one here who knows them - but are you really sticking with your assertion that ALL people who don't empty their trash at work are lazy? That's really the only thing people are taking issue with and I'm flabbergasted that you are continuing to be so unkind about it.

• Like 7

In my husband's office white collar employees are in fact expected to take out their own trash.

Cleaning services are limited.

Employees are made aware of their responsibilities and given access to trash liners etc.

Right. That was a decision made by the owners of the company and told to the staff. The company owners are choosing to pay their staff to clean.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes, I have worked places where I have been instructed not to empty my trash can.  It had to do with how the trash service was contracted for.  Employees did not have access to any additional liners; we were not allowed to provide our own because trash had to be placed in the approved, contracted liners.  We were not supposed to dump our individual trash cans into publicly accessible cans.  

The explanation that was given was that it was about accounting for the cost of trash collection.  Another explanation, was perhaps, control over what was being thrown away.  I had a colleague that was questioned for throwing away a document that was dated within a two year period--which was the cut-off for saving documents.

• Like 2

I'd like to know what kind of trash is expected to be on the floor? Used Kleenex? The oily, drippy mess from your salad dressing spill at your desk? Just pile it on top, knowing it will fall to the floor and leave it, as if you're helpless to do anything about it?

The paper kind. 

You know, the paper used in offices all around the world.

• Like 1

Right. That was a decision made by the owners of the company and told to the staff. The company owners are choosing to pay their staff to clean.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

But how long does it really take in office setting to dump your own trash in a barrel and put in a new liner? I would venture to guess that most employees use many times that amount of time every day chatting with coworkers, using the bathroom, getting coffee or water, etc. I mean we're not talking about something that takes more than a few minutes, and can likely be done on the way out the door or to the bathroom.

But how long does it really take in office setting to dump your own trash in a barrel and put in a new liner? I would venture to guess that most employees use many times that amount of time every day chatting with coworkers, using the bathroom, getting coffee or water, etc. I mean we're not talking about something that takes more than a few minutes, and can likely be done on the way out the door or to the bathroom.

Well, that depends on if I have another bag, and where I would have to take it, wouldn't it. As I mentioned, I never had this problem because trash was emptied nightly or every other night where I worked. Honestly, most places I worked I wouldn't have a clue where to put it anyway.

There was a larger recycling bin I could take my recyclables to if needed (beside the network printer station...) That was required maybe a handful of times in all my years, mainly if I had needed to print out a large section of code to make notes on while I debugged a bug.

Well, that depends on if I have another bag, and where I would have to take it, wouldn't it. As I mentioned, I never had this problem because trash was emptied nightly or every other night where I worked. Honestly, most places I worked I wouldn't have a clue where to put it anyway.

There was a larger recycling bin I could take my recyclables to if needed (beside the network printer station...) That was required maybe a handful of times in all my years, mainly if I had needed to print out a large section of code to make notes on while I debugged a bug.

I'm guessing if it was understood that employees handled their own trash things would be set up to make it very easy and convenient. Like at my work, there are multiple large recycle and trash bins on every floor and containers of liners beside them. So it literally takes no time to drop a bag in the trash on the way to the bathroom or on the way out the door. And if you keep a bunch of liners in the bottom of your trash can, it takes maybe three second to insert a new one. Again, I'm guessing most office employees spend far more company time doing other non direct work related things each day.
  • Like 1

I'm guessing if it was understood that employees handled their own trash things would be set up to make it very easy and convenient. Like at my work, there are multiple large recycle and trash bins on every floor and containers of liners beside them. So it literally takes no time to drop a bag in the trash on the way to the bathroom or on the way out the door. And if you keep a bunch of liners in the bottom of your trash can, it takes maybe three second to insert a new one. Again, I'm guessing most office employees spend far more company time doing other non direct work related things each day.

Right. But I worked at places where that was not expected because it was the cleaning staff that did that.

And it seems that at this office there is a similar expectation that it is a job for the cleaning staff.

• Like 3

I wouldn't know where to empty the regular trash in our office, or where to find extra bags, tbh. Any HIPPA privacy papers we put in a special box for that purpose. We put our trash cans outside our office doors at the end of the day, and there's a cleaning crew that comes nightly. Edited by Sandwalker
  • Like 1

I see where my disconnect is.  Pretty sure others are thinking the same way. When I think of "trash" I am not thinking of paper.  Paper is recyclable.  In every place I've ever worked, in every office-type of place I go now, such as the community college, the library, the place I go for career training, there are separate receptacles for trash and paper.  

So naturally when someone says they pile their extra trash on the floor, I'm not picturing paper because I've been trained since the '70s that paper - as in printer paper, writing paper, envelopes - is not trash.  I'm picturing (as someone upthread mentioned) used kleenex, food waste and wrappers, etc.  It's a bit hard to imagine that people are instructed to leave food-related waste piled on the floor. Of course I could be wrong.  (And if so, it'll be pointed out to me!  LOL)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

Well, Scarlett hasn't actually told us what kind of trash she was finding on the floor, but she didn't say anything about recyclable containers being there or separating paper and other trash.

My old office had a few thousand people, cleaning people came daily, we had a recyclable bin and a trash bin at our desks.   I mentioned before that part of my job was to clean up after meetings and lunches, etc.  But our meeting rooms had trash and recyclable bins that were about 5 times larger than the small bins under our desks.   I did have occasion to put trash next to my garbage can.  It wouldn't be something dripping wet or gooey.  Styrofoam from a package, maybe the container from a sandwich.  There weren't many non-recyclables in my office.  When we would clean out files we would pull the paper out for recycling or shredding and trash the binders.  So there could be a stack of binders next to the trash can, with a pile of papers (often in a shallow box) next to the recycle bin.  A broken pen or two?  Cleaning wipes (I used to wipe down my own desk periodically, more often in flu season).  A plastic cup I used to get water to water my plants?

• Like 1

The kitchen trash is almost always overflowing with food related stuff.

And a couple of smaller desk side trash cans also seem to have a lot of food packaging and food in them.

It would be reasonable to put a larger trash can in the kitchen; 13 gallons is small for that many people for an entire work week.

It would of course also be reasonable for someone in the office to take out the kitchen trash and replace the liner, but if they aren't doing that it is not really under your control. If I were the building owner I would put a larger trash can there to prevent pest infestations.

• Like 9

We moved into a temporary office trailer at work a few months ago as construction is taking place in our main building.  I had not paid too much attention to trash issues in the building until today.  I have a small trash can in my cubicle.  I looked and there are no extra liners at the bottom.  I looked in the supply area and could find no extra liners (I have always seen them on the cart that the cleaning staff brings into the building).  There is a trash and a recycling can in the kitchenette area.  However, those are in a built-in cabinet that is locked (there is simply a slit to put things in the trash).  I would not be able to take those out and change out a liner (or take the trash to the dumpster) if I wanted to.  If i have trash that is larger than the slit (such as boxes that books are delivered in or a sandwich tray from a catered meeting), there is not a nearby receptacle.    

I agree with maize, if it's "almost always overflowing" it clearly isn't large enough.

It is a small kitchen and a larger one would just be silly. I have to deal with it once a week....but I can promise you if I worked there I would not just leave it to pile up. Obviously others would as they do.

Edited by Scarlett

We moved into a temporary office trailer at work a few months ago as construction is taking place in our main building. I had not paid too much attention to trash issues in the building until today. I have a small trash can in my cubicle. I looked and there are no extra liners at the bottom. I looked in the supply area and could find no extra liners (I have always seen them on the cart that the cleaning staff brings into the building). There is a trash and a recycling can in the kitchenette area. However, those are in a built-in cabinet that is locked (there is simply a slit to put things in the trash). I would not be able to take those out and change out a liner (or take the trash to the dumpster) if I wanted to. If i have trash that is larger than the slit (such as boxes that books are delivered in or a sandwich tray from a catered meeting), there is not a nearby receptacle.

Not very user friendly.

We moved into a temporary office trailer at work a few months ago as construction is taking place in our main building.  I had not paid too much attention to trash issues in the building until today.  I have a small trash can in my cubicle.  I looked and there are no extra liners at the bottom.  I looked in the supply area and could find no extra liners (I have always seen them on the cart that the cleaning staff brings into the building).  There is a trash and a recycling can in the kitchenette area.  However, those are in a built-in cabinet that is locked (there is simply a slit to put things in the trash).  I would not be able to take those out and change out a liner (or take the trash to the dumpster) if I wanted to.  If i have trash that is larger than the slit (such as boxes that books are delivered in or a sandwich tray from a catered meeting), there is not a nearby receptacle.    

Our kitchen was like this too. We had four openings - two for recyclables and two for trash.  A couple of us knew how to open the doors though (there was a hidden latch) because they stored extra napkins, plates, and cups on shelves above the trash bins and we used to have to get them out for meetings.   Ours never overflowed though because they had that set-up on every floor, larger amounts of trash usually were in the meeting rooms, and they were emptied every day.

Pizza boxes would get left next to the trash cans fairly frequently.  There wasn't really anyplace else to put them.

• Like 1

It is a small kitchen and a larger one would just be silly. I have to deal with it once a week....but I can promise you if I worked there I would not just leave it to pile up. Obviously others would as they do.

It would be "silly" to have a kitchen can large enough to not overflow every week?  How so?  The footprint of a 30 gal is not that much bigger than a 13 gal, and I'd bet the trash on the floor around the smaller can uses up that extra floor space anyway.

Also, the clothes I would wear to talk to people, tap on a keyboard and push papers around are different from the clothes I wear to wash bathroom floors, wring out dirty mops and change out the smelly, drippy kitchen trash liner.  I assume when you go there to work, you're dressed for the job at hand.

• Like 5

It would be "silly" to have a kitchen can large enough to not overflow every week? How so? The footprint of a 30 gal is not that much bigger than a 13 gal, and I'd bet the trash on the floor around the smaller can uses up that extra floor space anyway.

Also, the clothes I would wear to talk to people, tap on a keyboard and push papers around are different from the clothes I wear to wash bathroom floors, wring out dirty mops and change out the smelly, drippy kitchen trash liner. I assume when you go there to work, you're dressed for the job at hand.

It wouldn't be smelly and drippy if they changed it out before it got to that point.

O.k. with regards to the trash in the kitchen area spilling or trash being left near the trash can, regardless of what anyone thinks of the office workers (lazy, stupid, doing their job, whatever), it seems to me there are three main solutions to this...

1.  Scarlett points out to management that since she only gets paid to come once a week and that trash can (which will obviously fill with food items that can cause messes and increase the likelihood of bugs/vermin) keeps filling up before she comes back, the office staff need to be asked officially to change out the trash bag when it gets full and take it to the dumpster.  A set of trash bags for that specific trash can should be left in a logical place in the kitchen and the office staff notified of where that location is.  Since the staff is small, perhaps management can have a meeting with them to discuss how to rotate the responsibility, maybe by week.  If the office staff feel they do not have the time or do not want to risk damage to clothing or whatever other concerns they may have they can discuss it directly with management and management can then decide where they go from there.

OR

2.  A larger trash can is placed in the kitchen so it can hold more trash.  It is still potentially going to attract bugs/vermin but at least stuff isn't lying on the floor.

OR

3.  Management has Scarlett come more often.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 9

Tragedy of the commons, no? Kind of?

One issue, as anybody who has ever been the Thoughtful Responsible Individual in an office environment knows (or, dare I say, a domestic situation), is that these things do tend to get foisted off on one person unless there is a System.

I would say that if you, Scarlett, were encountering clean, non-overflowing trash bins, the chances would be very good that one lone employee in the office would be inwardly seething as she had to clean up after all the other slobs. She (and my own experience causes me to choose that pronoun) would be sending out email reminders about the trash, or posting up notices to her fellow employees. She would also probably be the most diligent person about completing her Actual Paid Duties. And she would slowly be growing to lob internal epithets at her fellow employees.

I haven't been paid to clean up after other people for twenty years now, but given the dark thoughts I've entertained about the people I love MOST in the world who make messes in my home, I can understand hostility on this front.

I can also imagine being the person, in an office and at home, who throws one more thing on an overflowing pile of trash. I am sometimes that person. It is a stupid thing to do. I guess as my mom used to wisely counsel me, "Most people aren't a-h0les. They just act like them."

• Like 4

It wouldn't be smelly and drippy if they changed it out before it got to that point.

Actually, it might be.  And you won't know it's drippy until after you pull the bag out only to discover that the broken, jagged edge of a plastic take-out lid has snagged the side of the bag. Now Italian dressing from someone else's salad has dripped down your dry-clean-only pants onto your shoes.

Why is it silly to have a kitchen trashcan that accommodates a week's worth of trash when the cleaning service happens once a week?

• Like 4

Actually, it might be.  And you won't know it's drippy until after you pull the bag out only to discover that the broken, jagged edge of a plastic take-out lid has snagged the side of the bag. Now Italian dressing from someone else's salad has dripped down your dry-clean-only pants onto your shoes.

Why is it silly to have a kitchen trashcan that accommodates a week's worth of trash when the cleaning service happens once a week?

I had to laugh at your image of these office workers.  No one is wearing dry clean only anything.  Jeans and boots and sneakers. Regardless no one wants garbage dripping on their shoes--even the cleaning lady.

It isn't 'silly' to have a bigger trashcan.  But in this particular situation, with this contract and these employes....it isn't going to happen.  And it hasn't happened.  And I am just saying *I* would not work in an office with overflowing trash.  

I clean a small set off offices in a building my boss owns. Today I go in and find that someone had used the big dry dust mop to 'mop' up something very wet. Just gross. So I put it in a trash bag and brought it home to wash and dry before it can be used again.

What the heck is wrong with people. I told my boss and he said, 'leave them a note. Feel free to scold them'.

Any ideas on the wording of my note. " Please do not use the dry mop to clean up liquids". Is that what I should say?

I clean banks, and yes people are stupid-LOL.

Bank #1- is amazing and I love cleaning it as they have a fabulous manager.

Bank #2- Is generally great, but one time they took MY MOP/ Vacuum to another branch that they won't let us clean-to clean it.  I had to call management as I searched (wasted my time for an hour looking for them-it is a large bank) and when they came back they were filled/ FILTHY! My white mop was literally black.  

Bank #3- always has roaches, but leaves out open food anyways- it just grosses me out.

Bank #4- IS A PAIN, and I would quit if it wasn't attached to contract with bank #1.  It is in a Walmart and they won't let us leave any tools there, we have to bring them nightly.  They have a room that is off limits that they keep a trash can in, and on a regular basis they will DUMP the whole can in a corner for me to clean up for them- it is ridiculous. They also pour entire drinks into their trashcans despite not having any place for us to dump them- we have to get them out-if not fully dumped- and walk to the bathroom across the Walmart.

I only get paid 10 bucks a night to go deal with this bank, but being attatched to the better bank requires me to do it or lose them both.

We also live in a terrible area for drugs and have had to call the cops for needles in our outside trashcans, because stupid people are often thoughless for others as well.

Brenda

P.S. These banks pay our bills, of that I am thankful.

• Like 2

I clean banks, and yes people are stupid-LOL.

Bank #1- is amazing and I love cleaning it as they have a fabulous manager.

Bank #2- Is generally great, but one time they took MY MOP/ Vacuum to another branch that they won't let us clean-to clean it. I had to call management as I searched (wasted my time for an hour looking for them-it is a large bank) and when they came back they were filled/ FILTHY! My white mop was literally black.

Bank #3- always has roaches, but leaves out open food anyways- it just grosses me out.

Bank #4- IS A PAIN, and I would quit if it wasn't attached to contract with bank #1. It is in a Walmart and they won't let us leave any tools there, we have to bring them nightly. They have a room that is off limits that they keep a trash can in, and on a regular basis they will DUMP the whole can in a corner for me to clean up for them- it is ridiculous. They also pour entire drinks into their trashcans despite not having any place for us to dump them- we have to get them out-if not fully dumped- and walk to the bathroom across the Walmart.

I only get paid 10 bucks a night to go deal with this bank, but being attatched to the better bank requires me to do it or lose them both.

We also live in a terrible area for drugs and have had to call the cops for needles in our outside trashcans, because stupid people are often thoughless for others as well.

Brenda

P.S. These banks pay our bills, of that I am thankful.

They dump the trash out on to the floor? That is nuts.