Menu

Quick, check-the-box secular health options?

I purchased a health curriculum that I planned to use second semester this year.  I really didn't look it over very closely, but it was from a secular publisher, so I didn't thing anything of it.  Well, it contains very little about human reproduction, other than lots of lecturing about STDs.  It is basically an abstinence only program.  Not what I was looking for. 

The more I think about it, I am realizing that dd doesn't really have a ton of time to do an in depth program and it is unlikely that she will be willing to put a lot of effort into something without an outside grade.   Looking over the textbook I purchased, there are really only a few things that I think will be valuable, but they aren't in the most "get-er-done" format.  We do talk about nutrition, sleep, healthy habits, etc. So, I don't think we need a ton of emphasis there.  However, there are areas that I don't think we have really covered as completely as I would have liked by now as they just haven't come up as much.  I'd like something more comprehensive about reproductive health from a mostly secular point of view.  I'd also like something about healthy relationships.  

Any ideas?  

This is the 17 yr old?  Just buy her a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  

This is a fantastic book, one that my high school girls will definitely read.  Understanding how they work is so impoetant, and there isn't a better resource out there than this for that purpose.  

You can teach the rest through a simple mother daughter discussion through asking her questions, and this opens dialogue so if in the future she may need to come to you.  I think also discussing what she wants in future relationships, as that would help direct your discussion as well.  She could also just read chapters that you mark for her on topics you think need revisiting.

Brenda