Menu

Supplement Gurus: Vitamins D3 & K2?

vonbon

DH and I tested low for Vitamin D and I've been trying to supplement.  I researched and ordered D3 in coconut oil capsules from what looks to be a reputable company (Sports Research).  I'm taking 5000 to 10,000 IU's a day.  

A friend recently told me that if I were taking D3, I needed to also take Vitamin K2.  She said the K would help with absorption of the D and send calcium into bones.  

Every time I try to research supplements, I end up down a lot of rabbit trails.  There is so much junk science on the web and, frankly, I'm coming to the hive because I don't want to waste a ton of time weeding through info that may or may not be scientifically-sound.  It's overwhelming and I just need some proven ways to get my D up this winter.  

Any opinions and/or data on this?  

(For what it's worth, I try to get some sun exposure, but I'm really fair--only burn--and we have family histories of skin issues so I do tend to wear a lot of sunscreen in the summer, hats, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

I do vitamin K and magnesium with my vitamin D3. I use K2 sometimes, but when I was using it regularly two things happened: my blood pressure went up and I had a test where they had a terrible time getting a blood sample because I kept clotting too quickly. I don't for sure know either were related, but it gave me pause. So now I use it sometimes, and use regular K the other times. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

d3 in drop form does best with k2 added.  I wouldn't personally be comfortable with coconut oil as a base. (some of the stuff coming out about coconut oil.)  I prefer olive oil.  I also hope you did't pay as much as their website charges.

drops are the most absorbable, then gelcaps.  meh on capsules and not worth it (to me) for tablets.

the better d3 drops include k2.  usually the only people who really need it  - are seriously deficient in d3.  (e.g. my daughter was told  10K daily drops with d3 and k2 added, as her d3 level was 10.)

I try to stick to brands with stated 3rd party testing labs.  (most of those labs will also list companies for which they test on their own websites.)

NSF

or

consumer lab

or

GMP

certification.  you're more likely to get what you pay for.

if they say they have 3rd party testing .. . I want to know what lab did that 3rd party testing

• Like 2

I knew you smart Hive people would have some good experience and info--thank you!

I'd like to try out the drops.  My level isn't crazy-low at 27; that result came from an appointment during the time of year I was getting quite a bit more sun.  IOW, I'm not sure if that's as low as I get or if the level gets lower in the winter. 

DH and I deal with fairly severe insomnia at times.  I recently read/heard that D3 and insomnia can be related, so if I can supplement successfully, I will.  

I ordered the Sports Research D3 via Amazon; it had higher reviews and I thought the coconut oil would be better than a synthetic carrier.  Maybe I'll try the drops next time.  There's no K in this particular formula.  It says it's GMP-certified.  They are actually gel caps; not capsules.  

Thanks for any other information--

I knew you smart Hive people would have some good experience and info--thank you!

I'd like to try out the drops.  My level isn't crazy-low at 27; that result came from an appointment during the time of year I was getting quite a bit more sun.  IOW, I'm not sure if that's as low as I get or if the level gets lower in the winter. 

DH and I deal with fairly severe insomnia at times.  I recently read/heard that D3 and insomnia can be related, so if I can supplement successfully, I will.  

I ordered the Sports Research D3 via Amazon; it had higher reviews and I thought the coconut oil would be better than a synthetic carrier.  Maybe I'll try the drops next time.  There's no K in this particular formula.  It says it's GMP-certified.  They are actually gel caps; not capsules.  

Thanks for any other information--

levels often drop in winter - especially in northern climes because people are more covered up, and the days are shorter.

27 is low - but it's not bad.  30 used to be considered a minimum.  (it's now 50.) 

they're really just starting to realize how many different systems require a healthy d3 level.  when the usrda was set - it was all about bones and teeth and nothing else.  it has been reclassified as a hormone because of how it is made, and how many systems are affected by a healthy level.

• Like 1

Don't overthink it.  My vitamin D level was tested as low a few years ago.  I started taking an inexpensive brand of D3 supplements from Walmart: 1,000 IU twice a day.  Results:

Component (range) 2014-2016-2017 results

Vit D, 25-hydroxy (30-100) 26 - 35 - 52.6

Thanks; so that makes me think there's a good chance supplementing will work. 

In regards to other comments above...

I just learned it's classified as a hormone; thought that was interesting but haven't done any reading on it.  

Looks like I'll order the D3/K2 drops next time!

Thanks again for the info!

27 is pretty low.  Everything I've read about Vitamin D says you need to have K2 with it to absorb it.  

However, I've been researching magnesium the past 6 months and have read that without magnesium also, you won't absorb the D vitamin.  This book has some really good information about magnesium.  https://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Miracle-Revised-Updated/dp/034549458X It affects your sleep, along with 700 other bodily functions.

The magnesium advocacy group on facebook though doesn't recommend supplementing with D3/K2 . . they recommend taking care of the magnesium level and then the D level will fall into place.  

d3 in drop form does best with k2 added.  I wouldn't personally be comfortable with coconut oil as a base. (some of the stuff coming out about coconut oil.)  I prefer olive oil.  I also hope you did't pay as much as their website charges.

I must have missed this. What is coming out about coconut oil? Darn it. Every time I turn around something else is not what I thought it was. :(