Menu

Recommendations for 6yo chronic runny nose?

desertstrawberry5

W has such a bad runny nose for WEEKS. He is sniffling and snotting constantly and his skin around his nose is in terrible shape. 

His provider put him on Zyrtec, but it is doing nothing. I'm taking him back after the holidays, but he needs something NOW. He's a mess, and I can't stand it another second. 

I'm inclined to give him benedryl, but is there anything that won't knock him out?

Edit: I am flushing his nose, but his is not cooperative.

Edited by desertstrawberry5

How long has he been on the Zyrtec (that was going to be my suggestion actually). Some people respond better to different anti-histamines (Claritin for example). 

I might try the benadryl just to see if it helps. It doesn't knock my son out. I guess that could vary, but there are lots of adults who take it, say, every time they mow the grass. 

There are also OTC nasal steroids--Nasacort for example. If he responds to benadryl, and so allergic cause is confirmed, I'd probably move to the sprays. 

He's been on Zyrtec for 2 weeks with no improvement. 

His provider diagnosed him with allergies a year ago, but we were new here, so we waited it out. It's getting so much worse. D and I also have allergies. I take Zyrtec, but it doesn't work for D. He's trying different things. 

Benedryl does knock him out. He's had it many times. But I will give it to him if it's the best thing to get him some relief. 

I can't imagine he would tolerate a nasal spray. He fights everything. Brushing hair, washing face, blowing his nose. I can't imagine that a nasal spray wouldn't end in sobbing, drooling tears every. single. time. 

Edit: I'm 100% that nasal steroids are what he needs, but the emotional trauma would not be worth the mild discomfort. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5

I also would ask if he possibly has something stuck up there. Here is a very gross story of a girl who had a safety pin up her nose for at least six months: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/year-girls-mysterious-symptoms-caused-safety-pin-stuck/story?id=37338446

I'd also wonder if it's time to consider an elimination diet.

I would be careful about a daily dose of zyrtec. I went on zyrtec daily for a month a few years ago, and when I went off I had the worst case of hives I've ever had. I'm talking well over three weeks of hives all over my back, itchy like you wouldn't believe. Apparently, this is a known issue. Zyrtec is a powerful antihistimine, and for some users there is a powerful rebound. And I was lucky. A quick google search showed me that some people had the rebound and it lasted a lot longer than mine did. Now I don't take more than half a pill every OTHER day, no matter how bad my allergies are.