Menu

Would you find a Speech Therapist to evaluate?

DawnM

My son just turned 18.  He is a senior in our local high school.  He is into theater and has had some minor roles,which he is enjoying immensely. 

Back peddle to him 10 years ago, and he was going to speech therapy at the local school, although  he was homeschooling then.  At age 8-9 or so we took him.  The speech therapist finally said, "You know, he honestly doesn't care that he has an impediment and doesn't want to change, so I would wait until he is ready to change to bring him back."

She was right.  He was so cute back then, and his speech impediment just added to his charm and people would ask him questions just to hear him talk. 

He compensated through the years but still has trouble with S's.  

He asked me last night if he could go to a speech therapist or if I thought it would help.  It is way too late to deal with the schools.  By the time he is evaluated and put into the system, it will be just a couple months to graduation.

He then added, "But no one else seems to notice, it just bothers me, others say they can't hear it."

I guess my question is, would you even bother at this point?  

Yes, if he is asking about it definitely get him evaluated.

A motivated older teen may need just a handful of sessions to learn what he needs to do differently; after that it is a matter of paying attention and practicing in daily speech until it becomes habit.

• Like 2

Can you hear it? Is it just one sound? I'd probably order Super Star Speech and show him how to make the correct sound (I've used this with one son and I have a friend who's a ST and she's looked it over and likes it). From there, he needs to pay attention and practice and generalize then correction to every day speech.

• Like 1

Yes, at least let him get an evaluation. If he may go into acting as a profession, his voice is his livelihood. Hey, the evaluation may inform him that he has nothing to worry about! Or he may be given some exercises that could help tackle whatever minor "s" trouble lingers.

Since you hear him all the time, you are less apt to notice anything "off" with his speech. You are used to him.

Request an evaluation from the school IN WRITING so they don't use a delay tactic, and get him assessed before graduation.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Yes, at least let him get an evaluation. If he may go into acting as a profession, his voice is his livelihood. Hey, the evaluation may inform him that he has nothing to worry about! Or he may be given some exercises that could help tackle whatever minor "s" trouble lingers.

Since you hear him all the time, you are less apt to notice anything "off" with his speech. You are used to him.

Request an evaluation from the school IN WRITING so they don't use a delay tactic, and get him assessed before graduation.

Honestly, I would rather get him evaluated outside of the school.  Our insurance will cover at least a good portion of it.

• Like 1

I would totally do this for him, through a private speech facility.

My 16 yr old son just graduated from speech therapy this week. He has oral apraxia and severe aphasia from a pre-birth stroke. It often felt odd, sitting in the facility, with so many younger kids but I was always surprised over school breaks how many older kids went to speech therapy. Mostly kids with autism or who have Down syndrome. Our therapist was amazing. She always worked so hard to make the therapy at son’s age and intellectual level. (We have had awful issues with occupational therapists getting stuck in a preschool level activity mindset!)

I think people are so judged by their speech! (But that could be bc my family judges my son’s aphasia as a sign of his lack of socialization.)

• Like 1

My mom has an extremely mild problem with S's that I doubt most people notice. It hasn't caused a problem in her professional life. However, my siblings and I learned to talk by hearing her and we all developed the same speech problem and we all needed a year of speech therapy in early elementary school to correct it. Sometimes there are consequences for mild speech issues and if you have the opportunity to fix it I would.

I would be inclined to pay for at least a few sessions with a speech therapist for the sake of efficiency, if it's affordable or covered by insurance.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

Double-check with your insurance about coverage since your son is now 18. There are often greater limitations on ST for adults than for minor children. ST for adults is often limited to trauma rehab (after an accident, stroke, etc.)

Yes to this.

We have rather good insurance but it wouldn't even cover ST for my preschooler because it was considered a developmental problem and not the result of an accident, etc. And we live in a state where we don't generally have access to public school services without enrolling, so homeschoolers are on their own.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

Yes, if it wasn't a prohibitive amount of money. He shouldn't need very many sessions, because they should tell him exactly how to practice at home and evaluate his progress. 

Motivated adults can definitely correct articulation issues. 

If the fee is crazy, there are lots of resources on the internet for correcting lisps.