Menu

Independent writing for K-2?

Sarah0000

I'm looking for something for my newly turned six year old boy to do independently that is some kind of composition/handwriting practice. I'm looking for something that leans more towards fun than instructive. He somewhat enjoys the Comic Book Math fun schooling journal, primarily the write your own comic pages.

I'm hoping to entice him to write more on his own so it starts becoming a part of his life. Right now he mostly only writes when I make him for school.

Honestly, I didn't push writing with my kiddo. It's been somewhat relaxed. We did WWE1 & 2 and Treasured Conversations for writing instruction. We are currently in Kilgallon's Sentence Composing and WWE3. We drift between the two. He writes when he needs to in our studies.  Other than what he was doing for some handwriting practice, that was all I asked. For many gifted children, writing can wait. There is usually a big gap between what is going on output wise mentally and what they are able to produce mechanically. 

I'm not all the way in the mindset of what's below from Online G3, but these thoughts help me be more relaxed about this area.

https://www.onlineg3.com/writing-can-wait/

• Like 1

Mine liked activity books that went along with books he knew -  Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, Phineas And Ferb's Guide To Life, Diary Of A Wimpy Kid.

I didn't set aside a time for them, just put them in his room and he came around to them when he could write words from memory instead of just copywork.

My son writes random books. He uses computer paper and does one page at a time without much planning. He has books about skateboarding penguins falling in love, robot wars, recipe books. Lots of spelling errors and grammatical mistakes I don't bring up. He has an hour a day of quiet time with a clipboard, paper, pens, colored pencils and colored markers. He likes to copy Usborne early encyclopedias, atlases, and favorite storybooks like Hans Christian Anderson and Just So Stories.

Eta: His books are occasionally completely in Spanish and sometimes incorporate hiragana or a little Greek so bonus points!

Edited by Slache

The Usborne comic book looks perfect! And it's on RR for $5 cheaper. Thanks for mentioning it.

DS use to do a lot of independent writing and drawing when he was younger, little books and maps and such but lately he's been adverse to writing. So I think something with just enough direction to make it approachable but open ended enough to make it fun will be beneficial for this year.