Menu

Chalkdust- what is the difference between Basic Math and pre-algebra??

camibami

The scope and sequence look the same.:confused: The topics listed are the same, from what I can see- what am I missing?Basic Math is listed as "on grade level 6" and pre-algebra, "on grade level 7". But I don't really see a difference here??

Has anyone used either, and what did you think? We'll be finished with MUS Z soon, and I need some more math. We started with Saxon, went through 7/6, DD hates it with a passion and is unwilling to revisit it after our MUS break this year. We *both* really like video instruction- its a great relief!!I have too many reservations about TT from reading about it on many boards, couldn't ever buy from BJU for personal reasons, and that about exhausts the video teaching math programs.

I know its expensive, but if it works, so be it.

If you used either Basic Math or pre-algebra, come tell me about it!

Hi,

We used most of Basic Math last year and are currently using PreAlg. The list of topics (sequence) is very similar, but the scope is different. PreAlg introduces variables and integers into the equations, taking what was learned in Basic Math to a different level. You are still covering basic operations, fractions, decimals, etc. - but now you are incorporating negative numbers and solving (or substituting) for unknowns. Also, there are chapters on graphing equations. It seems that the word problems are also more complicated.

Given a good foundation in working with whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percents, I would think you could go straight into prealgebra.

Hope that helps.

We'll be finished with MUS Z soon, and I need some more math. We started with Saxon, went through 7/6, DD hates it with a passion and is unwilling to revisit it after our MUS break this year. We *both* really like video instruction- its a great relief!!I have too many reservations about TT from reading about it on many boards, couldn't ever buy from BJU for personal reasons, and that about exhausts the video teaching math programs.

Did you or your dd not like MUS? Why not continue with MUS pre-algebra?

We've only been on Chalkdust Pre-Algebra for a week but my son is thrilled. We're finally finished with the long first DVD sessions and next week will be even better.

I can't compare it to Basic Math but I did choose to put my 5th grader in Math Matters 5 rather than Basic. We ordered the tests for both boys and decided to put them where the test show. I highly recommend using these to get a good idea on where to go.