Menu

Reading to fast...help for my child please :)

My son taught himself to read very early around 3 yrs. old and is quite a fluent reader and has been reading broadly and quite advanced books for a couple of years now.  He is now 6 1/2 and I am struggling with him reading way too fast and believe he is missing pieces of the story or only getting highlights.  I have decided since he is young for his school books I read them to him so I know we are going at a slower pace and therefore will get most out of his reading.  Any suggestions on how to slow him up for his other reading?  I know if I had him read aloud it might slow him down but he likes to read for long periods of time and I know he would get tired of reading aloud and then want to know why I was making him.  Plus I don't want his enjoyment of reading to be squashed by me making him do things that would stifle it.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

My son taught himself to read very early around 3 yrs. old and is quite a fluent reader and has been reading broadly and quite advanced books for a couple of years now.  He is now 6 1/2 and I am struggling with him reading way too fast and believe he is missing pieces of the story or only getting highlights.  I have decided since he is young for his school books I read them to him so I know we are going at a slower pace and therefore will get most out of his reading.  Any suggestions on how to slow him up for his other reading?  I know if I had him read aloud it might slow him down but he likes to read for long periods of time and I know he would get tired of reading aloud and then want to know why I was making him.  Plus I don't want his enjoyment of reading to be squashed by me making him do things that would stifle it.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Are you sure he’s missing stuff? I’m a very fast reader and have always had people assume that I can’t “really†be reading. My Mom used to quiz me on books when I was that age as she didn’t believe I was truly reading them. 

I’d let him read however he wants for his pleasure reading. Even if he’s missing some details, it’s ok. Not every book has to be pondered over and read slowly. As I got older I learned how to read differently for different books. He’ll learn that, but for now just let him go. :) 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I guess I shouldn't be too concerned when he reads aloud he reads well and not too fast.  It is only when he reads silently on his own that he goes quickly.  I guess for free reading and extra reading I shouldn't be concerned.

Thanks for the great tips and links!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 1