Menu

“Mom� and “dad� names not currently used much for babies.

Ginevra

Granted, in 40 years, people may start using these names again for babies, but I was thinking today about names many people born in the 60s and 70s were named that are very unlikely to be used currently. Names such as:

Karen

Dawn

Sue/Susan

Annette

Melissa

Alicia

Kim/Kimberly

Jeff/Jeffrey

John/Jonathan

Anthony

Don/Donald

Robert

The guys name list seems shorter because males have repeated ancestral names much more than females (I guess?). Fashion-forward naming for boys was much less common when I was a kid than it is now, at least, where I live.

What names would you add to this? Which names do you think will start to sound good again to moms a few decades from now?

Boy names from my childhood that I never hear children called in last 15+ years: Preston, Jason, David, Brian, Scott, Kevin, Brandon, Brendan, Richard, Blake, Robert.

What I've noticed more with boys are that I don't hear nicknames as much anymore as I did growing up. Chip, Trey, Rocky, that sort of thing.

I think naming after the dad has become much more rare, so nobody needs to distinguish the son from the father.

My FIL was George, that's one I haven't heard in a long time.

Well, there’s William and Kate’s prince George. Otherwise, I did think of George, too. George seems to me like a name that is bound to resurface. It has extensive historical roots.

• Like 1

Boy names from my childhood that I never hear children called in last 15+ years: Preston, Jason, David, Brian, Scott, Kevin, Brandon, Brendan, Richard, Blake, Robert. 

What I've noticed more with boys are that I don't hear nicknames as much anymore as I did growing up. Chip, Trey, Rocky, that sort of thing. 

Brandon & Brendon have morphed into the  Braden-Jayden-Hayden-Aydan family.

• Like 4

I have a George Jr (and Sr of course) in my house, plus a Victoria.  We don't see other kids with either name very often.

My oldest is Stephanie.  I don't know about now, but when she was in school there were a TON of Stephanies.  She had two or three in her class every year (three different school districts so they weren't the same Stephanies), there were three of them at her dance studio.

• Like 1

When I was growing up I didn't know anyone my age with my name (Amber) When I was about 10 years old there were several babies born in my tiny little town named Amber.  Even now in my big-ish city the only Ambers I meet are usually 10-15 years younger than I am, but no younger, and I never hear it as a baby name now.  Apparently 1980-1985 was the sweet spot for Ambers :)

To the girls list I would add:

Charlie

Sandy

Susan

Myrna

Nadine

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

It's interesting--my 13 yo dd started at a new school recently, and about a third of the students are children of Asian immigrants. Some of her friends' names are Linda, Cindy, Helen, Nancy, Fred and Angie. :)

See, I wonder about that. I knew an Asian immigrant whose children born around the same time as mine were Lisa and Brian. It was interesting to me.

Sandy/Sandra

Trish

Rhonda

And, growing up, I was never the only Heather in the class, but I never hear of anyone naming their kids Heather now. :)

My sister had a Heather. But that is the one exception from the past twenty or more years.

• Like 1

Oh that's true!! I remember the transition "Jordan" unisex name phase in the 90's.

True. My DD’s bf is Jordan Taylor, which could easily be a girl’s name, too.

Eta: grammar

Edited by Quill

My best friend in elementary's name was Wenjia (her given name); her parents had come to the US the year before from China.  They seriously discussed renaming her Wendy, and when her little brother was born they named him Willis.  Though they held strongly to their social traditions at home - spoke only Chinese, ate homemade Chinese food, required Wenjia to spend 2+ hours a day after school learning Chinese and accelerated math (at age 7!) - they did value assimilation in some ways, and names were one.  I think they felt if she and her brother had American-sounding names they'd have an easier time fitting in.

• Like 1

Michelle

Sarah

Lauren

Joshua

Justin

Sarah is VERY popular right now. I've got a first grader named Sarah in my AWANA class, a second grader named Sarah in my American Heritage Girls class and my daughter has a different 1st grader named Sarah in her class.

I also have a Joshua in the 1st grade AWANA class and know of two others in the under 10 set.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 4

I have a George Jr (and Sr of course) in my house, plus a Victoria.  We don't see other kids with either name very often.

My oldest is Stephanie.  I don't know about now, but when she was in school there were a TON of Stephanies.  She had two or three in her class every year (three different school districts so they weren't the same Stephanies), there were three of them at her dance studio.

We have a George Jr and a George Sr at my work. There's a 1 year old George III out there as well.

I do know a couple of Victorias in the under 10 set.

• Like 1