Menu

Pick my vacation destination!

Alice

Help me pick where to go for vacation over Spring Break (week between Palm Sunday and Easter). 

Background: Dh and oldest son are going to Chile for a missions trip for spring break. Because of that we won’t really be taking a big family vacation next year so I’m planning on taking the younger two kids (ages 8 and 11) somewhere while they are gone. 

Parameters: We’ve traveled a fair amount so I’m trying to go somewhere newish. No beach as we go to the beach in May with my parents every year. We’ve been to NYC, Boston, Chicago, and all through California. No Disney because I’m not a theme park person and I don’t want to go there for Spring Break without dh. I don’t want to go there with dh either. :) I’m trying to avoid really heavily touristy areas, although I know it’s high season everywhere. But not Florida. 

The 11 year old likes the outdoors, cold weather, animals, and not a lot of people. His favorite place he’s traveled was probably Alaska with his aunt. The 8 year old likes cities, fancy hotels, hiking if it’s fairly active and exciting (rock scrambles but not just walking), and lots of people. Her all time favorite place she’s been is Chicago. They both like museums in small measures. They are both good travelers. They both like to be pretty active so no going to a cabin and sitting and playing games. 

We live near Washington DC and I’m willing to fly if we can get a good deal on flight or wiling to drive if it’s within about 4-6 hours drive. We will likely go something 5-6 days. 

My thoughts so far have been Atlanta or San Antonio. 

Atlanta because I know they would love the Aquarium (we’ve been but they were little and barely remember it). And I can think of other things they would like. I was playing around with the idea of driving and seeing some other things on the way there and back. 

San Antonio because we’ve never been to Texas and I think it would be fun for them to go somewhere their brother hasn’t been. I picked San Antonio just because I keep meeting people who say how cool it is and it looks like oodles of stuff to do.  And flights seem fairly reasonable through Southwest. 

I also was thinking about the Pacific Northwest because I’ve never been there either but I’m not sure I want to go travel that far and use that much of our time in travel. 

Thoughts? Have a great other idea for me? 

I like San Antonio, I think it would appeal more to your city loving kid, but you could find lots to do.

My initial thought was Gatlinburg and the Smokies, I think it could appeal to both kids. There is hiking and there is lots for kids to do. There is an aquarium, go carts, mini golf, shows, and pancake houses. You could alternate between outdoorsy and touristy things. It may be packed that week if spring breaks in the area are the same week though.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

What about Albuquerque? We enjoyed our time there. Lots of bigger city stuff (which we didn't do most of) and great hiking and other things.

Tent Rocks was our all time absolutely favorite hike ever. https://www.tripadvisor.com/268906?m=19905

Another option is Traverse City/Sleeping Bear dunes area in northern west Michigan. The issue might be the weather. It could be 70s or could be 30s and snow. The drives and hikes and dune climbs are a lot of fun. Traverse City is not a big city though. You could fly in to Grand Rapids, meet me for lunch or dinner, and then drive up there.

Do you want one place to stay the entire trip or change hotels often?

• Like 2

Keep in mind that spring break in Texas is a state holiday week, sort of kidding, but things can get busy and crowded more than usual because of that. Spring break in Texas varies throughout the state but it is usually the first or second week of March. YMMV The weather can be a total toss up. It might be chilly, in the 40s or 50s, or it could be in the 80s. Some of the state parks within a day's drive of SA are good. You're also near enough to the Gulf. 

I can't speak for Atlanta.

The Smoky Mountains are pretty cool.

• Like 1

How about St. Louis, Missouri?  We had a blast when our family went there on vacation.  There's a lot of family things to see and do:  of course riding up the arch, lots of neat museums, Grant's Farm, the Cahokia Indian Mounds, and more.  However, I'm not sure what the weather is like there in March.  Might be pretty chilly still.

• Like 2

When is your spring break? That would influence my suggestions. Neither Atlanta nor San Antonio are cold at Spring break time.

She said between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. It looks like Easter is 4/1 this year.

*Corrected typo

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

What about Albuquerque? We enjoyed our time there. Lots of bigger city stuff (which we didn't do most of) and great hiking and other things.

Tent Rocks was our all time absolutely favorite hike ever. https://www.tripadvisor.com/268906?m=19905

Another option is Traverse City/Sleeping Bear dunes area in northern west Michigan. The issue might be the weather. It could be 70s or could be 30s and snow. The drives and hikes and dune climbs are a lot of fun. Traverse City is not a big city though. You could fly in to Grand Rapids, meet me for lunch or dinner, and then drive up there.

Do you want one place to stay the entire trip or change hotels often?

Interesting suggestions..I’ll have to check them out. Thanks! 

We can do either stay in one place or change. I’m pretty comfortable traveling and the kids are pretty easy. I would likely do an Air BNB if we stayed in one place but I’m open to it being more than one place and renting a car and driving around. 

How about St. Louis, Missouri?  We had a blast when our family went there on vacation.  There's a lot of family things to see and do:  of course riding up the arch, lots of neat museums, Grant's Farm, the Cahokia Indian Mounds, and more.  However, I'm not sure what the weather is like there in March.  Might be pretty chilly still.

Also interesting...thanks! 

Have you done EVERYTHING in Chicago? What did you get to before? Betcha we locals can come up with an entire new vacation experience here!

Well, no, of course not. :) I thought about Chicago and had it on my list. When we went I was in a conference so the kids and dh actually got to see a lot more than me. The only thing that had made me think no was that it wasn’t that long ago that we went so I was thinking of going somewhere new. I think they would like that it’s somewhere that older brother hasn’t been...or doesn’t remember. Especially since he’s traveling out of the country. 

I'd probably vote for Atlanta.

Of course, I might be a wee bit biased considering we're spending a little bit of my boys' last spring break together there (at the Aquarium) on our way to our favorite campground in FL.  ;)

Maybe we could meet up! :) 

When is your spring break?  That would influence my suggestions.  Neither Atlanta nor San Antonio are cold at Spring break time.  

Last week in March. Roughly the 27th through April 1st. 

My son likes cold weather...but not as much me. I probably should have left that out of the description of what they liked since it’s not a huge factor. I think we are open to cold or warm.