Menu

Asthma and heartburn

hollyhock

Has anyone had heartburn that turned out to be asthma? My 11yo has had heartburn for a year now and we've done lots of tests (haven't done a scope yet) and so far the only thing that's shown up is mild asthma. Is it possible that this is the only culprit?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

My experience is with a much younger kid, where they call it "silent reflux" and not heartburn, but it's tricky because reflux can cause asthma because it stimulates the vagus nerve; and asthma can cause reflux because people who are wheezing compensate by breathing with their stomach muscles which puts pressure on the stomach contents.

Have you tried treating the asthma, to see if the cycle breaks?

• Like 2

My experience is with a much younger kid, where they call it "silent reflux" and not heartburn, but it's tricky because reflux can cause asthma because it stimulates the vagus nerve; and asthma can cause reflux because people who are wheezing compensate by breathing with their stomach muscles which puts pressure on the stomach contents.

Have you tried treating the asthma, to see if the cycle breaks?

This has been my experience as well. And it is indeed tricky.