Menu

Common App - Mid Year Report?

yvonne

How do you handle the Mid Year Report if your "Official Transcript" only gives end of year grades?

Temporarily squeeze in a second column on the "Official Transcript" for senior year first semester grades? 

Issue a separate document stating that it is the "Mid Year Grade Report"? 

Thanks!

• Like 2

I will be in this same boat next year as the transcript form I really like (and am using) only lists final grade. For semester-long classes, this is easy. I don't know how to deal with year-long classes as I wouldn't want to put a semester grade in the only grade slot there is.

:lurk5:

If DD applies for some summer programs, I'm in the same spot for her transcript right now. I can put in a grade for the stuff she's done with (three semester-long classes), but won't have anything for the year long classes or for the second-semester-only classes. 

• Like 2

I put the grades in the grades column of my transcript.

From the date (December) and planned graduation date (May) it is obvious that this is the mid-year transcript. Planned courses and courses in progress did not receive a grade.

Thanks, regentrude.

So, to be sure I understand.....  Your transcripts also only had a single, end-of-year grade for 9th, 10th, 11th, and you put the mid-year grade in the 12th grade end-of-year grade spot?  Then changed the grade (if necessary) at the end of 12th to be whatever the final end of year grades were for those classes?

Thanks, again. I'm sure all these questions seem so trivial, but I feel so much responsibility for getting it right. Times 2.

• Like 2

Thanks, regentrude.

So, to be sure I understand.....  Your transcripts also only had a single, end-of-year grade for 9th, 10th, 11th, and you put the mid-year grade in the 12th grade end-of-year grade spot?  Then changed the grade (if necessary) at the end of 12th to be whatever the final end of year grades were for those classes?

Yes. There is one column for grades for each year. 

I only assigned grades for completed courses. So, if the course was completed after one semester, I can list a final grade for that course; if a course was not completed, it stays listed as "in progress". There was no need to change grades, because a course completed in December will still have the same grade in May. Think of it as not an end-of-year grade spot, but an end-of-course grade spot.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Do we have to submit a mid year report? Does it depend on which colleges they are applying to? Will we be prompted to do so or are we just expected to know to do it?

I had received an email from the College Board end of January that said among other things:

"Midyear Report Reminder

Midyear Reports should be submitted as soon as possible after first semester or trimester grades are available. Please plan to submit a Midyear Report for any student who still has one or more pending applications.  (You should not use the Optional Grade Report to submit midyear grades.) To check if a member college requires the Midyear Report, refer to the online requirements grid. "
  • Like 1

Just write up a document with

- whether or not there were any course changes

- whether there is any change in academic progress or achievement

- whether there is any update to your counselor's letter

Midyear Report for Suzy Student

Suzy has made no course changes since the original counselor's report.

Suzy's grades remain on par with her performance in previous years' classes. If possible, describe current grades with letters otherwise explain why there is no letter grade available yet.

Suzy also received a Nice Little Prize from Community Organization (or any new achievement you'd like to highlight.)

• Like 2

Do you need to send updated transcripts from accredited providers? Or just the homeschool transcript which summarises all coursework including these additional providers?

Regentrude, you didn't put mid-year grades in for unfinished courses? I thought they wanted mid year grades and that is why they want a mid year report at all. What is the purpose of this document? 🤔

Do you need to send updated transcripts from accredited providers? Or just the homeschool transcript which summarises all coursework including these additional providers?

Regentrude, you didn't put mid-year grades in for unfinished courses? I thought they wanted mid year grades and that is why they want a mid year report at all. What is the purpose of this document? 🤔

I assume the purpose is to certify that the student is on track with the planned courses we had claimed they are taking when we filled out the application.

I did not put mid year grades for unfinished courses, because I do not assign grades until a course is completed. The only grades were the grades of the college courses my kids had completed during the fall semester.

I did not send updated college transcripts at mid year, only uploaded the homeschool transcript.

• Like 2

All of my sons' are full year courses. I think I'll put the first semester grade on the transcript and change the credit from 1.0 to 0.5. Then, at the end of the year, I'll replace the mid-year grade with the final grade for the year and update the credit to 1.0.

If anyone thinks that's a bad idea, please let me know!

• Like 2

All of my sons' are full year courses. I think I'll put the first semester grade on the transcript and change the credit from 1.0 to 0.5. Then, at the end of the year, I'll replace the mid-year grade with the final grade for the year and update the credit to 1.0.

That's what I was planning to do.

• Like 1

Won't that make it look like they're only taking half the credits they really are? Or, will it be obvious what you are doing and I'm just being dense?

• Like 1

My transcript only listed final grades and no SR year grades were listed until at the end of the year. I typed up a separate page and titled is Mid-Year Report and gave the one final grade as well as mid-year grades. My mid-year report also gave a blub about why one class that was planned for spring was dropped and a different one added in its place.

• Like 3

I would not change the credits unless you explain this really, really well. If you listed a course as a 1 credit course on the application, seeing it as only a half credit course may raise red flags.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

So the mid year report is either:

1) a written paragraph type description of grades, course changes, any other additional info etc.

OR

2) the same homeschool transcript I've already sent but now with grades for half year courses completed, but the graded for year-long courses left blank.

OR

3) do you turn in both?

Sounds like I don't need to formally send ds's additional New Zealand national test scores sent from official body? Do I summarise them on the single written paragraph page update?

Edited by lewelma

So the Common App asks for a transcript, then there are some yes/no questions (about class changes, disciplinary issues, do you want to add an update). If you check yes to any of them, you get another spot to upload a document.

For my DD, the document explained some changes to course plans plus one new accomplishment

Edited by JanetC

Won't that make it look like they're only taking half the credits they really are? Or, will it be obvious what you are doing and I'm just being dense?

I was thinking I could add the second half of the courses in another line, listed as IP in the grade column and 0.5 credits.  That might not work, though, because I don't have enough space to add 6 courses.  Drat.

Maybe I'll go with Janet's suggestion of a written mid-year report stating no changes to course load, etc. and either list grades to date on that written report or state that I've listed first semester grades on the transcript and will replace them with final, end-of-year grades on the final report

• Like 2

I would not change the credits unless you explain this really, really well. If you listed a course as a 1 credit course on the application, seeing it as only a half credit course may raise red flags.

True. Since I can't squeeze in 6 more lines to list the second semester of the courses, a separate document might be the clearest way to handle this and not modify the transcript.

• Like 2

My mid year report only listed grades for completed courses. This includesd .5 credit home based courses, and one semester outsourced courses.

I uploaded an updated transcript with those grades listed and an updated gpa. In progress courses were marked IP in the grade block.

I also revised the spring courses listed to reflect a change in schedule. The transcript had a half page cover letter that listed the changes in spring coursework, explained the reason for the change (college schedule conflicts for DE), and gave course descriptions for the two new courses that were not in the original course description document.

I think we probably did send out official CC transcripts for the fall semester because it included calculus and this was an important grade to ensure colleges saw.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My transcript only listed final grades and no SR year grades were listed until at the end of the year. I typed up a separate page and titled is Mid-Year Report and gave the one final grade as well as mid-year grades. My mid-year report also gave a blub about why one class that was planned for spring was dropped and a different one added in its place.

Julie,

I'm working on this today.  So, did you use the transcript you submitted initially on the Common App (w/ grades through end of junior year), retitle it "Mid-Year Report", and then put the first semester grade in the spot where the final grade would eventually go?

Or did you only submit the separate page, "Mid-Year Report", and only list the senior year classes and the first semester grade for those classes?  

Did you update your student's GPA, based on the first semester grades?  Or did you make no mention of the GPA (other than whatever was on the original transcript) since the grades were only first semester grades?

One school wants our mid-year report by 1/1 for scholarship consideration. I assume I could just send them the grades and let them re-calculate the gpa, incorporating the first semester grades, if they want, but I don't want to miss doing anything I'm supposed to be doing.

Thank you!

I think I submitted two pages. The first was the exact same transcript I submitted at the beginning of 12th grade. The 12th grade classes simply said in progress. The second page was titled mid-year report and listed the mid-year 12th grade grades and the one change of class. (I might have only submitted the second page, I don't really remember.)

I did not update the GPA on the mid-year report - there was no reason to do so for this kid. If it was beneficial, I'd update it on both the mid-year report and on the transcript so that it would be clear for scholarships etc. 

There are lots of ways to do this and I suspect that colleges see a variety as I'm sure not all the public schools do the same way as each other.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 2