Menu

Help -- I need a gift idea for myself

AimeeM

DH is out of ideas and he's irritated (not really irritated, just frustrated) :P

We DO exchange gifts on Christmas (I know not everyone does, but we do, typically). 

He wants an idea for a gift, with the following stipulations:

1. It needs to be at least $100

2. Not something he or I would typically buy for myself on a daily basis. I suggested more yarn for my crochet projects and a book, but he's right when he says that these are things I would usually just pop in and buy, or call him at work to ask him to pick up on his way home. 

MY problem is that there is legitimately zero that I want or need. He loves electronics, so we all already have phones, laptops, and e-readers. Any time I need new clothing, he never has a problem with me buying clothing, etc. 

I don't wear jewelry, other than my wedding band. I did tell him that I would wear a small necklace, but I'm not being entirely truthful there, because I probably wouldn't. He has bought me jewelry in the past, but it is never really worn.

I love Harry Potter -- but he has bought me almost all typical "fan" items in that arena, in years past.

I love books -- but we have a ton and he's right when he says that I buy books consistently, and I don't collect special editions or anything.

I enjoy crochet -- but he doesn't find yarn to be a suitable gift.

I love, love, love coffee -- but we have a keurig and there's a starbucks right up the road that I frequent.

I have zero ideas. I don't want him to put him in the position of not having anything to give me -- I've been in that position with him before (not knowing what to give him), and it is discomforting. 

Any ideas?

Since you don't want or need anything then why not a donation to a charity of your choosing?

He donates pretty regularly and never argues when I want to donate elsewhere, so I think this would fall under something that I would regularly do or buy. I think he really wants something to wrap and put under the tree.

• Like 1

Fitbit Blaze? Ninja coffee bar? New chair to replace the hideous recliner that just won't fall apart? (Maybe that last one is too specific :p ).

I'll have to google the Fitbit Blaze. I don't workout regularly, lol. I do have a gym membership, and I'd like to use it more, but it seems like every time we go, the boys end up sick from the gym childcare :( 

I'll have to think about the furniture. I hadn't considered it, and we moved a couple years ago to a new home and bought new furniture -- but a nice new chair to read or craft on might be a great idea. Especially one that could go in the bedroom.

• Like 1

Any interest in a subscription service? Book a month? Stitch Fix? One of those meal planning things?

Or some kind of luxury brand of cosmetics or lotion/bubble bath/body spray?

A gift certificate for a professional massage?

Tickets to an upcoming concert or musical?

I think he wants something to physically wrap and put under the tree, so I'm not sure a subscription would work. I have wanted to try one of the meal planning services, though, and I'm trying to find one that would match our dietary needs (paleo for me, him, and DD16). If I could find one that did, he might actually go for that, though.

I just use Walgreens cosmetics and I use the same Burberry perfume he hooked me on years ago and don't deviate from that. 

I'm not a fan of massages from strangers, and we have a spa at our gym if I did want one. 

The tickets are a great idea, though. I'll have to look at our local halls to see what's coming up. I'm not a huge music fan (much to his dismay, since he loves concerts), but I haven't been to a musical since I was a kid. My stepmother used to take us religiously. 

• Like 1

With those parameters, I’d probably go with a purse or coat/jacket. I don’t ‘need’ any of those things, but I could find something I like in those categories. :)

Like this:

https://www.rriveter.com/collections/view-all/products/otto-riverside-canvas-brown-leather-handbag-2

Or this:

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=12-27-610&skCatId=88143&csp=f#88143

• Like 2

If it were me and I didn't need anything and a donation wasn't an option, then instead of giving a list I think it would be easier for me to just go shopping and purchase a few things I found that I liked while shopping, then give them to my husband to wrap etc. I find if I don't really have specific needs or wants that it's easier to go browse around and get what strikes my fancy than to make a list for someone.

• Like 1

What about a basket for your yarn and crochet things?

This one includes the donation idea - Blessing baskets, but the baskets are not $100 http://www.prosperityshop.com/product-category/baskets/

This one is from etsy www.etsy.com/listing/112751281/craft-basket-10x16x11h?ref=shop_home_active_13

Oh, wow. Those are really pretty. I want one!

• Like 1

Designer purse or wallet?

I recently bought a new purse. Designer purses and me don't get along well. He's bought them for me before, but my purses typically double as a bag for the kids and they end up destroyed by random markers, snacks that escape from the bags, and punctured juice boxes.  :P 

If it were me and I didn't need anything and a donation wasn't an option, then instead of giving a list I think it would be easier for me to just go shopping and purchase a few things I found that I liked while shopping, then give them to my husband to wrap etc. I find if I don't really have specific needs or wants that it's easier to go browse around and get what strikes my fancy than to make a list for someone.

I agree completely. I would be perfectly happy with purchasing my own gifts. 

• Like 1

I bookmarked this company a few years ago -- The Mystery Experience. I think maybe I saw it mentioned here? 

It looks like a totally fun gift *I'd* never get myself. It doesn't lend itself to something to unwrap under the tree -- but he could get one of those at-home escape room board games to wrap...

Or maybe there's another similar sort of "crate" you'd like?

• Like 1

Nice light for reading/crocheting

Bluetooth headphones

Towel warmer (DH surprised me with one of these many years ago.  I thought it was slightly strange, but thoughtful, at the time.  Now I feel totally spoiled any time we travel and don't have warmed towels.)

Mini-fridge for your bedroom

Upgrade for your electronics (more RAM or something)

Handmade pottery from a local potter

Automatic starter for your vehicle if you live in a cold area

Electronics setup for your vehicle

Ninja coffee bar

• Like 1

What if he bought you an experience instead of a tangible item?

I'm thinking along the lines of: SCUBA lessons, or at least an introductory one; a hot air balloon ride;

an afternoon trailride, a treatment at a high-end spa, something like that? Or go to the zoo together and

have lunch at the cafe, stopping to buy a souvenir at the gift shop on the way out.

• Like 1

A Miracurl curling iron if you have flat hair (like I do, sigh). About $150.

A memory foam mattress topper or heated mattress pad.

I run cold, so I have 3 robes from Woman Within that are ankle length, zip-up, and hooded. I am so warm in those robes.

Sari silk wrap skirts--these are wrap skirts made by women in India out of old saris and they are gorgeous. It's a way to help women in India have some work and not be exploited. Since they're wrap skirts, you pick out of two sizes. They pick what designs to give to you, though you can request certain colors. I got some this year and they're soooo pretty. They're having a sale, 3 for $99 right now. https://www.darngoodyarn.com/collections/skirts/products/sari-silk-wrap-skirts-3-pack.

Edited: the kitten killing apostrophe got me.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I like Nespresso coffee far more than Keurig, so to me a Nespresso would be an upgrade.

A ceramic yarn bowl would be nice.  https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Sun-Pottery-Yarn-Bowl/dp/B00S3FNJKW/ref=sr_1_24?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1513559406&sr=1-24&keywords=yarn+bowl

How about an Ott lamp for hand work?

Or an umbrella swift?  http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Knitting_Yarn_Swift__D82008.html

A pendant shaped like a ball of yarn might be appropriate:  https://www.schoolhousepress.com/tools/jewelry/ball-of-yarn-pendant.html

I've always liked this artist's work.  She has prints of initials.  Maybe you want one for your wall?  https://www.etsy.com/shop/AliceandCompanyArt?section_id=19922034

I was just looking at some lamps, actually! He likes it dark in the living room when we watch television as a family, but I'm often trying to crochet at the same time, so one of those adjustable lamps would be great. 

Nice light for reading/crocheting

Bluetooth headphones

Towel warmer (DH surprised me with one of these many years ago.  I thought it was slightly strange, but thoughtful, at the time.  Now I feel totally spoiled any time we travel and don't have warmed towels.)

Mini-fridge for your bedroom

Upgrade for your electronics (more RAM or something)

Handmade pottery from a local potter

Automatic starter for your vehicle if you live in a cold area

Electronics setup for your vehicle

Ninja coffee bar

Could he get a hotel for the night for the two of you and you could get away for a night? 

We don't have anybody local who could stay with the children overnight :( Because of the extent of our younger two boys' special needs, we typically hire a couple teenage guys (DD's friends) just to help DD16 with the boys so we can go out for even a few hours. So, three sitters for two boys. They are actually fantastic with our boys, but I'm not sure they're old enough that I would feel comfortable leaving them overnight with the kids (or that their mom would be comfortable with it -- and she's a great friend, but has five kids of her own, so I won't ask her to stay, lol). We have only one family member that lives within an hour of us (the rest are 10+ hours from us) and she has a farm she takes care of and can't be away from overnight.

Trust me, I've thought about it :p

Edited by AimeeM

I asked for a couple of 'luxury' items I rarely buy myself. A pair of really nice leather driving gloves lined in cashmere and a bottle of nice perfume since I am out.

I once had this very expensive pair of leather gloves wth cashmere lining. Then one day my husband and son were doing some yard work and when they came in I discovered that my husband had given our son those gloves to wear for yard work thinking they were just some random pair of gloves that looked like they would fit him.

I once had this very expensive pair of leather gloves wth cashmere lining. Then one day my husband and son were doing some yard work and when they came in I discovered that my husband had given our son those gloves to wear for yard work thinking they were just some random pair of gloves that looked like they would fit him.

Ugh.

This reminds me of a story.

A handwoven Irish linen towel was involved.  It became a rag immediately.  And permanently.

I like tickets to plays and concerts, massage gift certificates, experiences.

DH gave me a massage table once, with a year of weekly massage. Best. Gift. Ever. (I had a lot of pain at the time.)

How about a Sonos speaker - the one through amazon that’s voice activated? If you have an Amazon Echo, it’s maybe similar. If you’re thinking practical-ish, how about a Ring for your doorbell so when you’re busy with school or kids you can see/talk to anyone at the door? This is great when the kids get older, if you have neighbor kids coming to play a lot.

My DH flew my mom out for a visit, not really tangible, but appreciated. Can you think of anything like that?

This year I know there are tickets for our whole family to see a band we love. It will mean a train trip and a night in a hotel for all. More than $100, but fun for all.

Is he open to a group of smaller items? I am a bath girl, and stuff for baths really makes me happy. I always ask for my favorite scrubs and potions. Battery operate candles are nice, a good robe, and for after - tray for cheese and olives and wine glasses for that specific purpose (ahem, 2 glasses would be ideal).

What about something for the two of you? (Ok, the tray part of the above idea was for the two of you, too.). What do you enjoy together? A game, a project, a book to read aloud, a trip, tickets.

Good luck!

Things I would like to have that I probably wouldn't buy for myself:

1.  An alarm clock that slowly lights up, like a sunrise

2.  A pair of trail running shoes with the new Vibram that grabs both wet ice and dry ice.  (Saucony Razor Ice)

3.  The new Cuisineart food processor from Williams Sonoma that dices as well as chops.

4.  A Russian samovar 

He can put the tickets or description in a box to unwrap :).  Its nice to receive the gift and there's something to look forward to.

Mystery date night (I organise most of our family outings and vacations, so getting dh to do this is great)

Mystery weekend away

A cooking class

A craft lesson - mosaic, pewter work, advanced crochet or knitting class, etc (with a friend or with dh if he's willing)

Tickets to a show

Hot-air balloon ride