Menu

What's with the ads?

Patty Joanna

Pacific Northwest SWB Meet-and-Greet

Dear Pacific Northwestern Well-Trained Mind Peeps,

You are invited to an informal Meet-and-Greet open house with Susan Wise Bauer.  She will be on a book tour in the greater Seattle area, and welcomes the opportunity to tip a glass, and put together the names and faces of those who have employed her works and guidance, and who have been part of the Well-Trained Mind Online Forums, both in the past and in the present.  

Susan has three public presentations in the area:

The Meet-and-Greet will be on Wednesday, January 31 from 1-4 p.m. and will take place in the Juanita area of Kirkland.  If you plan to come, please RSVP here: swb.pnw.meetup.2018@gmail.com.  I will respond close to the date with the address and parking instructions.

Please ask questions on this thread (not on the email) so everyone can know the answers, and also because the email might not be all that well monitored until mid-to-late January.

FAaAQ:  Frequently Asked and Answered Questions (by the hostess of and to herself in the middle of the night)
  1. Is this location near a bus line?  Yes.  It is less than half a mile away from a popular bus stop by Juanita Village.
  2. Will Susan autograph her books, and if so, do we need to buy them at the party, or can we bring our own?  Yes, Susan is happy to autograph books, and you can BYO.  
  3. Is there parking nearby?  Yes, but the cul-de-sac has no parking, so plan to walk at least half a block, and maybe more.
  4. Can I bring my children?  Yes, but the house is nowhere near child-proof, nor do we have any toys.  Old people live here.
  5. Can male persons attend?  Yes.  The man of the house would beg him appreciate it.  He has a garage and scotch so he is prepared.
  6. Can we go swimming in the pool?  Not today.  It’s not heated through the winter.  (It’s better to tell children ahead of time.)
  7. Will there be wine?  Yes.
  8. Will there be non-alcoholic beverages?  Yes.
  9. Will dietary considerations be made?  Yes.  There will be some gluten-and-dairy-free snacks.  There will be no nuts anywhere.  
  10. Will there be yummy snacks?  Yes.  The man of the house is in charge of this.
  11. Will there be dancing?  Feel free.  BYO tutu.
  12. May we play the piano?  No.
  13. May I come if I don’t RSVP?  Yes, if you can figure out the location, but the hostess will scowl at you in her heart, though her face bears a smile.  But don’t worry; all will be forgotten (cf “Old People†in point 4, above).

I look forward to seeing in person some "old friends" and meeting some new ones.  If you are in touch with former boardiess, feel free to send them a link to this invite.  

Kind regards,

Patty Joanna 

• Like 15

I hope to be there! For me, it will depend on snow on the pass coming over the mountains.

• Like 4

Jealous. Our meet ups here have just been ordinary Hive members. We never get the bougie guest appearance!

• Like 4

Jealous. Our meet ups here have just been ordinary Hive members. We never get the bougie guest appearance!

And really, she could drive to ours, although we do get many of the most prolific posters at ours!

(Totally jealous. That sounds like a lovely time!)

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 3

And really, she could drive to ours, although we do get many of the most prolific posters at ours!

(Totally jealous. That sounds like a lovely time!)

You could always message me with the details. :)

If Patty Joanna and Susan Wise Bauer are involved - what can go wrong?

As usual, it's out of my walking / driving / traveling range.

I hope someone has the presence of mind to take lots of pictures and post them here!!!!!!!   :)

• Like 1

If Patty Joanna and Susan Wise Bauer are involved - what can go wrong?

As usual, it's out of my walking / driving / traveling range.

I hope someone has the presence of mind to take lots of pictures and post them here!!!!!!!    :)

:0) on your compliment

:0( wish you could come

"Can male persons attend?  Yes.  The man of the house would beg him appreciate it.  He has a garage and scotch so he is prepared."

Hmm. Well, it would be a 6-8 hour drive and would necessarily entail a hotel stay, but the above just might tempt DH into saying okay. He might even let me go with him! :laugh:

(Seriously, it sounds like a lovely event. How kind of you to host it!)

• Like 1

We should totally host her.  I'll bet Liz CA would come then!

Though I am in Southern California I would make a trip up north to meet Susan. She has been such an inspiration to me! 

• Like 2

I haven't been on the chat board in ages and came here to ask a serious question, but am thoroughly sidetracked by the idea of a road trip to Seattle to see SWB and all of you lovelies.

• Like 3

Bump.

If you know of people who should be invited,0please invite them. :o) And RSVPs are really helpful. Instructions in first post.

My Airbnb is available around this time if you don't mind a two hour drive over a snowy pass!  LOL. 

• Like 4

LAST CALL!

Please RSVP if you plan to come. I’ll send out the navigational info in a few more days.

:0)

I’m coming. Patty knows that. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yabbut we’ve moved since you were at my house so sit up straight and pay attention when you get the email. 😇😉😊â¤ï¸

Yabbut we’ve moved since you were at my house so sit up straight and pay attention when you get the email. [emoji56][emoji6][emoji4]â¤ï¸

Yes, Ma’am!

• Like 1

I'm not going to be able to make it!  My work schedule got pretty full this term.  Have a blessed, wonderful time! 

I'm not going to be able to make it! My work schedule got pretty full this term. Have a blessed, wonderful time!

:::pout:::

• Like 1

I've sent an email with the address to all who RSVPd.  If you think you should have received it, but did not, please send another email to the address in the first post in this thread.  Thank you!  

• Like 2

Tomorrow! I am dithering over whether to wear my denim jumper or my yoga pants.

• Like 3

Tomorrow! I am dithering over whether to wear my denim jumper or my yoga pants.

I'm so glad you said something. . . . I was thinking it was today.  I would have shown up too. .  :blushing: :blush: :leaving:

• Like 2

You guys are killing me.

I am going to wear my school uniform.  

(Blue jeans and a t-shirt.)

That way you will know it is me.  (I know, I know, "It is I."  Heck with that.)

• Like 4

I vote for yoga pants under the jumper! Have fun!

And some flannel on top . . .

"Mom, WHAT are you wearing?!"

"I took some fashion advice from my imaginary friends on the internet."

• Like 6

Thank you for hosting Patty!

Thank you for coming SWB- I told all my friends I was meeting my guru  :001_tt1:

• Like 7