Menu

What methods to improve math proficiency at charter school?

I am interested in investigating methods that have actually worked to help students. The setting is a small charter school (K-12, each grade approx. 20 students).

I know, for instance, they are starting to use Aleks. Some of us are thinking of starting up after-school tutoring, but it is not clear which methods would work best.

It may be helpful to know what problems these students are facing. Charters are so different one from another. Are these kids mostly behind, average, or advanced in skills? Have they received consistent instruction in the past? Is there a high population of those with lds? Did these families choose a charter because their kids were struggling in normal school, or because this charter offered something special that drew them in? Do you have a pressing need to get test scores up asap to avoid losing the charter, or are you trying to strengthen an already sound program?

Some methods are good all the time, of course, but knowing your needs may help you choose a focus.

• Like 1

Is your after school tutoring run by volunteers? The most successful I have seen is one to one tutoring and then followed by one to two/three when the child does not need as much help but still need some handholding. My library has volunteer homework helpers that does that a few afternoons at the library. There is online homework help but when it is at the library, if a volunteer needs advice there are other more experienced volunteers around to help out.

• Like 1

I won't find out details until January when they get back from Christmas break. There is a limited amount of tutoring before school by one volunteer that I know of and the English teacher helps out with the algebra students. Beyond that I don't know except that the scores are lower than other schools in the county. It is a small community (~1000 year round residents). My older daughter went there for junior high and her entire class had six students. The school got a lot of funding by converting to a charter. I don't think they are doing badly, but there is room for improvement.

Some of the things I have been thinking about include:

1. Analysis of test scores to identify key areas to improve

2. Developing a peer-tutoring program

3. Holding workshops

4. Extra time with struggling students during the school day

5. Review sheets (Kumon style)