Menu

Steam????

Nemom

Science-tech-engineering-art-math?

That’s what we use in my neck of the woods.

What’s the reference?

ETA, it tends to be capitalized, like STEM.

Mentioned as gift cards for christmas presents.  

So...not STEM.  lol

Steam is a way to buy video games and have them available as downloads in the future.  It is kind-of like my Kindle library as far as I can tell ----- I never get a physical copy of the book, but I have access to it forever on Amazon.

As a non-computer person, here is my description:

There is a Steam app on the computer.  If you open the Steam app, there will be a list of video games on the left that you can click on to play.

On the right will be video game news, about upcoming games, or games that are on sell for a lower price as part of a special, or news about less-famous games that are being featured on Steam.

They have games from all different publishers. 

There is also a Steam Console, and a Steam video-game controller.  This is because ----- usually Steam games were for PCs (computers), but with a Steam Console and/or video-game controller, you can play them on a big tv or use the video-game controller instead of keyboard-and-mouse.  Supposedly the video-game controller is good. 

Edit:  I get hazy on this, but my husband has used Steam since a Half-Life game came out, and the company couldn't find another company to sell it online, or provide it with updates or something, or maybe it had to have Internet access while it was played, something, and ----- basically it ended up that you had to download Steam to play this Half-Life game.  It was a really popular game and you basically had to get Steam to play it, is my understanding.  It was a really popular game at the time, and I think a lot of people got into Steam with that Half-Life game. 

Edit:  Which is to say, my husband has been buying video games through Steam for a long time, and he has a long list of video games on his account!  And there are no discs needed, so that is nice, you don't have to worry about discs getting lost or scratched.  At first it was strange because he was used to buying discs, but now it is what he is used to and he's been doing it for a while.  It's a digital copy I guess. 

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

There's also a chat feature. Ds and his friends chat through Steam while playing - actually talk to each other, not keyboard chat. For that he uses his gaming headset. Sometimes a group of them play together, sometimes they're each playing a different game (or a few are playing together but not everyone) and they're still talking while they play.

• Like 2

Steam is a virtual store of video games for PC gamers. So rather than buying an access code in a display case (or an actual physical cd - remember when a game actually fit on a disk lol), you buy them & put them in your virtual library and when you want to play, you download it from there. You can keep a wishlist going and they email you when games you've wishlisted go on sale. One advantage is that if your computer blows up, you can just get going again on a new machine with your steam login and your games & gaming achievements are all there. 

People can friend each other & chat. Some game chat is just a stream of obscenities; there are a lot of young or just plain immature jerks there but ds has also made some online chums there. 

If you play multiplayer games you can keep a notification window open to pop up when your friends go online so you can then play together. 

If you have age/game type restrictions for your child, you need to pay attn what they're putting in their cart because pretty much everything is there....

• Like 1

There's also a chat feature. Ds and his friends chat through Steam while playing - actually talk to each other, not keyboard chat. For that he uses his gaming headset. Sometimes a group of them play together, sometimes they're each playing a different game (or a few are playing together but not everyone) and they're still talking while they play.

this.

ds14 does this with some other homeschool teens. He uses keyboard chat as well. it has been the KEY to him finally having reading comprehension as before he started doing keyboard chat he had no reading comprehension at all ( profound Dyslexia). He is also increadably shy, but because he chats with these others while playing with them almost daily he is not so shy when he occasionaly sees them face to face. it has also been a huge schoolwork motivator as they are messaging each other telling each other what subject they are doing and how much longer they think they will be until the are finished and can play.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 4

Steam is to gamers as Amazon is to book hoarders. 

This is a great analogy.

Steam offers online versions of many games (both single and multiplayer games). They have rock-bottom prices and great sales. I've gotten $20 games for $3, just as an example. Some people just buy stuff there (me), some people play and find game groups, some interact on forums and such. I found it years ago when a new version of an old indie game I play was offered on sale there. I'm not a huge gamer, so I visit occasionally, but ds probably buys a new game there about once a month - and yes, a Steam gift card was on my Christmas list for him.

ETA There are lots of Mac games there, but there are also many that are PC only. Shop carefully if you are Mac.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 2

Science-tech-engineering-art-math?

That’s what we use in my neck of the woods.

What’s the reference?

ETA, it tends to be capitalized, like STEM.

I never understood this version of STEAM.   Art just doesn't fit.   My theory is that some people just want a name for afterschool stuff, without using that dreaded S word.  

• Like 1

Check out Humble Bundle as well. They have amazing deals on packages of games - you buy the code to redeem on Steam. Often (or always) you choose what you want to pay, but they have a minimum. We have gotten lots of educational and indie games that way.

For a cheap thrill, look at Goat Simulator. That thing is so weird, LOL.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 4

Goat Simulator, lol. I've heard my son talk about this a lot, but I really can't imagine what in the world you do in a game called Goat Simulator. I think ds has played this, though.

It's an intentionally ridiculous game. :) One of my daughters has it.

We're a family of gamers and everyone but the four year old has their own Steam account and library of games. :)  You can buy games as gifts on there and schedule them to be sent on Christmas morning. You can maintain wish lists so people can see what games you're interested in.

• Like 1

So you can play board games on there? You can play with other people (I assume only if they own that game too?). 

I love board games, would love to play more often, and it looks tempting if I could play more. I do not like video games though, it seemed like it might be more of those games there. 

We could get some WTM game nights going online? 

• Like 1

Back on this topic, since rumor is their winter sale starts today ---- 

I'm confused still a bit on finding board games (versus video games) and also would love to play with others online too. I've seen referneces to buying the digital versions of board games but also using a tabletop stimulator to play games. With the simulator only one person has to own the game, versus, I guess the other method where everyone playing has to own the game in order to play others online. 

I've visited the site many times and still constantly feel confused by it.