Menu

Books about the impact of therapy dogs?

Tenaj

My oldest dd signed up to care for a therapy dog.  The program has the dogs placed in individuals homes until they are a year old and she got her first puppy last night!  I haven't met it yet, but have seen pictures!

Anyway, I still need to finish Christmas shopping for her and wondered if any one knows of any inspirational books about therapy dogs and those who use them.

Thanks!

• Like 2

We were Puppy Walkers for 2 puppies, and now we foster a male dog for the breeding program for the Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind. It's a wonderful experience! Caring for the puppy is pretty demanding, and it's a great learning opportunity. I hope your daughter has a great time! 

Here is link to past newsletters/magazines from our association. They are full of great articles and photos about the volunteers and blind clients and how a guide dog enriches their lives. http://www.guidedogs.ca/newsletter.php

If you're looking for a possible gift for your daughter to help with the puppy, you could find out what types of chew toys the puppy is allowed to have, and whether she might need snow booties or other articles for her puppy. There are usually strict guidelines about what the puppies are allowed to prevent possible injuries. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

If she's an adolescent or adult, she might like The Possibility Dogs. (This is about service dogs, trained to help one particular person, but I think there's also at least some discussion about therapy dogs, which help many people in settings like nursing homes or hospitals.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0544228022/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513381392&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+Possibility+Dogs&dpPl=1&dpID=51UEgLjxowL&ref=plSrch

• Like 3

The woman who founded Canine Assistants, which trains therapy dogs near Atlanta, has written a couple that might fit what you're looking for.  This is the one I've read.  My 17 yo and I both enjoyed it.  She tells the story of how she came to found the program, how they train the dogs (a lot on the hows and whys) and several stories of clients who have their dogs.  My favorite part was on how they . match clients with the dogs.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone! My DD is 23 and lives in a one bedroom upstairs apartment. So far the only problem she's had is that when the puppy first came home he was running around exploring and the downstairs neighbors started knocking on the ceiling! This cracked me up because she is very quiet and a loner, hardly ever home and it was probably the first time there was much noise up there.

I always buy books for the kids for Christmas so I thought this might be a good theme for her.

• Like 1