Menu

best no-small-pieces gifts for boys?

caedmyn

I can't handle any more toys with small pieces that end up everywhere and never get picked up. Unfortunately Christmas is coming, relatives want gift ideas, and all my kids want are Legos (and I can't think of anything else!). Please help me think of gift ideas that don't include small pieces or anything messy! We can't really do "experience" gifts because there's not much to do here, and what there is isn't practical to do with a toddler in tow (ie rolller skating).

Imaginext tends to have limited small pieces (for the five and maybe 7 year old).

Maybe an outdoor toy, like the ziggle (toddler, 5, and 7 year olds) - (they may not make them anymore ☹ï¸, but plasma car is similar - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DATQONA/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1&psc=1 )

Roller skates? Stomp rockets?

Maybe an instrument, like an electric guitar/amp? Or a ukulele? If they have electronic devices, maybe a gift card or games for that?

eternalsummer--so what no-small-pieces toys do YOUR kids have? I can't fathom life without small pieces everywhere. It would be wonderful!

FWIW my 15 mo is getting a good size indoor slide that folds up, an aqua doodle because he loves to try to draw/write, and a pop bubble book.

We have one of those big bead mazes, kind of like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bead-Maze-activity-toy-child-toddler-learning-educational-wooden/302559814263?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D06ad31bd44464dfcbdc96e245a2ab7c7%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

That is the most loved toy of the 3 and under crowd.

We have stuffed animals.  We have two bathtubs, haha.  We have balls (2 squash balls, kind of like racquetballs but smaller, but not small enough for choking).  We have sticks from the yard that they use as guns :)  We have no end of cardboard boxes.

We used to have a big wooden dollhouse and a set of waldorf playstands, which were great, but we moved and couldn't take them with us.  

Fagus trucks are really wonderful and last forever.

What about a wagon? Or a slack line?

Or a remote controlled car or helicopter/drone?

Or a real bow and arrow set (not one with real tips but a youth one and not the little kiddie ones)? Or big foam airplanes- the 4ft span ones?

For your older two boys, why don't you purchase some creative materials they can use for a new hobby? Maybe tools, or a woodburning kit, or woodworking materials, or whatever.

Edited by 4Kiddos

I was just coming to post almost this exact thread.  Esp. interested in your best ideas for boys 1-4 years old.  I am thinking of trying to find an older, well-made wooden cart for them to push around, but I feel like I'd have to get two of them (and then we'd have two carts).

At those ages my boys loved the huge Tonka trucks.  They also liked riding toys.  The 4 year old might like a hippity hop.  

• Like 1

I put 2 sizes of pogo sticks and a set of laser guns on their group wish list for one set of grandparents, and a ninja line and kid-size-but-real tool sets for the other set (Magformers for the almost 5 YO...he's too young and clumsy for tools).  They're already getting Nerf guns from an uncle.  We have too many relatives that buy Christmas presents, that's half the problem...two aunts/uncles each on my side and DH's, plus both sets of grandparents spoil them.

I'm half tempted to put a roll of packing tape in each of their stockings...I had to hide ours to keep them from taking it and using a roll per project!