Menu

Games ~ what are you giving? any new discoveries? what are you hoping to receive?

Kareni

You guys have to stop posting this kind of stuff. Dh is going to be so mad when the cc bill comes.

I keep thinking the same thing. How many games is too many, LOL?

(Actually, last year, we were overwhelmed with presents from friends anyway, so I actually kept the games back for a while. After the holiday excitement and then other craziness died down, it was nice to have the games to open to respark family bonding and to get through the late-winter doldrums.)

• Like 3

We bought my parents Cards Against Humanity for Christmas this year. I know it has been out awhile but we played it the first time last weekend with the 15yo and his friend. So funny!! Ending up going out and buy it for the parents the next morning!

Did you get the non-X rated version?   I've played that several times and there are some cards that had to be explained to be, and they made me wonder about humanity that  some things are a thing.    

• Like 1

I'm giving Photosynthesis to DS this year. It's new and is getting rave reviews. I also gave Gloom to a friend of mine, mostly for the art work.

As for latest discoveries, we've really enjoyed the game Parfum. I think it would be more successful with a different theme, but its our new favorite for sure and very cheap even though it has excellent components.

• Like 3

I'm giving Photosynthesis to DS this year. It's new and is getting rave reviews. I also gave Gloom to a friend of mine, mostly for the art work.

As for latest discoveries, we've really enjoyed the game Parfum. I think it would be more successful with a different theme, but its our new favorite for sure and very cheap even though it has excellent components.

Nice picks!

Photosynthesis is on my list of games I want.  It's SO pretty!

• Like 2

I'm giving Bad Beets Card Game to my sister and brother-in-law.

I see that Fluxx has some intriguing new versions ~

Math Fluxx

Chemistry Fluxx

Regards,

Kareni

Is there a Fluxx or two you'd recommend? Is it easier to start with the original or doesn't it matter? I've heard of this game but never looked until yesterday and now I'm positive we must get a set for Christmas.

• Like 1

Is there a Fluxx or two you'd recommend? Is it easier to start with the original or doesn't it matter? I've heard of this game but never looked until yesterday and now I'm positive we must get a set for Christmas.

We have the original version and have a lot of fun with it.  If you or one of your children has a specific interest, I'd buy that version; however, I think that any would work.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Bought two Suspend games but won't get to play it.  One went home with my sister as a white elephant, and the other went out of state with my son.  Almost want to get a third one!   Settled for the Hive- Crawling with Possibilities instead. lol

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

I adore these threads.

Tess: 

we give games weekly until Christmas plus I bought games for both kids as gifts this year!   KingDomino has been fun.  It's a short game but so far we all like it.  Kingdom Builder was opened last night and we will play tonight.  We saw this on TableTop and it looks fun.  I made it through the directions without any serious misgivings and hope tonight will be fun.  

Glad to hear it on KingDomino - it's under the tree for one of the DDs..

Raifta:

I also really want Mysterium from this list.  Reminds me a bit of Dixit mixed with Clue, and we enjoy both.

What did you think of Dixit?  It's under the tree for another kiddo this year.

My teens donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t play games anymore. Oh well

SO confused by this, lol.  That's when they are the most fun.  Sigh.  It'd be fun to suck them in with something.

Barbecue Mom:

Kids are getting King of Tokyo (DS9), Splendor (DS8), and Roller Coaster Challenge (DS4) from us.  I suspect FIL is getting all of us some new games or expansions to Castle Panic or Boss Monster.

We bought Bears vs. Babies earlier this year.  I'm not too fond of it right now, but the kids really like it.  I suspect like Exploding Kittens it will be even more fun with expansions.

King of Tokyo is very popular here!  So is Castle Panic and Splendor - I think they'll be thrilled.

I just got Forbidden Island for my 9yo for his birthday. It was a huge hit so they asked for the sequel, Forbidden Desert, which theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get for Christmas.

I also got Codenames Pictures for them, since they liked Codenames last year. And I got Timeline because that looked cool. A friend just told me about Pyramix, so I might also get that.

Last year, I got them Quirkle, Codenames, Dragonwood, And Sheriff of Nottingham. All were huge hits. SoN is a little complicated to learn but well worth it, and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hilarious to play with dramatic personalities.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d love to find a new game for my non-readers that isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t babyish, like Moose in the House, so I will check out the suggestions here.

Forbidden Island is a hit here too.  What did you think of Dragonwood?  It's for another DD this year - got a great deal on it.  I know nothing about it except it has dragons  - Sarah's favorite and the reviews were good.

Nixpix5: 

Forbidden Forest to DD, Kingdomino to one DS and Zeus on the Loose to the other. Our game closet is exploding so I am trying to curb my game purchases but there are just so many on the wishlist. We still don't have Castle Panic so I will probably nab that one before Christmas too as an everyone gift.

Castle Panic is worth it.

SherryinOH:

My children are getting Pandemic and Labyrinth.

Love Labyrinth?  For a 7yo?  I got a bunch of games when they were on sale and .... this might be one of the "too many."  I have it marked as Ella's but I am wondering the wisdom of it going to a 7 year old?

We bought Carcassone and Catan to add to the collection.

Catan is good and I adore Carcassone as a 2 player game.  The best thing about them is they will give you another year's worth of ideas.  After a couple year's worth of playing Carcassone, the Princess & Dragon expansion is fantastic.  And Catan - well so many of the expansions are great!  -They are great by themselves, don't read into the post and feel you need to get something else, just keep expansions in mind for coming years! 

JudoMom:
Dutch Blitz w/expansion

I really want Dutch Blitz.  I've heard good things but have NEVER played!

My dc learned how to play chess with that. It's a great game!

I bought one of the Escape Room games someone on here recommended. It's the one that has four puzzles. Hoping we like it 

If you're talking about Escape - like Escape (Curse of the Temple) then it's a serious winner.  DS is taking it with to a Christmas party tonight because people learn it fast, it takes ten minutes, and everyone always wants to play!!

Nothing new this year, as the game cabinet is currently overflowing. ;) BUT, big hits we have given/received in the past 2 holidays include:

- Love Letters: Batman edition

- 7 Wonders

Enjoyed now for longer than 2 years:

- Catan

- Ticket to Ride: Europe (also Asia)

- Five Crowns card game

- Quiddler card game

Good co-operative games:

- Castle Panic

- Forbidden Island

Yeah - I'd agree with all of these - they are all popular at our house too.  Do you like Love Letters?  Grandma ordered it for Rebecca and it's very different than what we usually do.

I picked up Splendor for myself and DH. The kids will be getting Evolution and The Magic Labyrinth (not the same game as Labyrinth which they already have and love).

LOL.  We got Duel (7 Wonders) for DH and I.  Couldn't wait for Christmas.  We've played it every day for a week so far.  :p

I hate making choices, buy all the games!
I'm debating the following games, I need to pick just 3 for the family, 9yo and 7yo.... maybe I could pretend a game is for the 2yo too to justify a 4th game: 

Forbidden Island

Sleeping Queens

Family Game: 

Prime Climb -- I've wanted this since it was on kickstarter, this would be the family game (honestly, it should be a me game)

I caught Prime Climb on sale a few years ago.  Glad I bought it but it isn't on the "go to" game list here.  They do randomly play it though.  We just recently played Sleeping Queens (6yo and 7yo) and they loved it.  It slipped into a stocking here. 

Our family game for this year is 7 Wonders.

(last years was Escape from Colditz = absolute winner)

Love idea gathering threads like this  

Seven Wonders will be a huge hit.  It's right up there with Dominion at our house - can play with a few people, doesn't take forever, nicely competitive, multiple ways to win.  

I keep thinking the same thing. How many games is too many, LOL?

(Actually, last year, we were overwhelmed with presents from friends anyway, so I actually kept the games back for a while. After the holiday excitement and then other craziness died down, it was nice to have the games to open to respark family bonding and to get through the late-winter doldrums.)

Here's the thing though - we give gifts as individual things rather than as a "family" present and we're really questioning the wisdom of it.  They TAKE THEIR GAMES WITH THEM WHEN THEY LEAVE!!!!  It never entered my mind this would happen.  :p :D

why couldn't I see this! I decided to get Ticket to Ride instead of Prime Climb, but I would have grabbed it for $20.... Guess camelcamelcamel doesn't track lightening deals. 

Good call I think!  I'd prefer TTR over Prime Climb. ;)

• Like 4

Bought two Suspend games but won't get to play it.  One went home with my sister as a white elephant, and the other went out of state with my son.  Almost want to get a third one!   Settled for the Hive- Crawling with Possibilities instead. lol

I'd love to hear how you like it.

Frankly, I'd love to hear from everyone about their new games!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Here's the thing though - we give gifts as individual things rather than as a "family" present and we're really questioning the wisdom of it.  They TAKE THEIR GAMES WITH THEM WHEN THEY LEAVE!!!!  It never entered my mind this would happen.  :p :D

Yes! I'm finding this to be the case -- I gave oldest some games I wanted to play and he totally took them with him all the time to play with other people, oh my, how dare he?? I've been able to "borrow" the games back from him for time to time but I know their presence is temporary because I know he'll take them when he moves.  

So I'm thinking that by age 12 or so it's time to make all games family game. lol. But then that steals a good gift idea. 

• Like 2

We finally played a game we got last xmas - Labyrinth .... why did I wait a year to play this?? It's the perfect speed for the 7yo and 9yo and they're really enjoying playing. I'm hoping to level up their analytical skills before xmas arrives, lol. 

I ordered a game for DH -- he doesn't like gaming, but I'm hoping the theme will get him interested in playing: The Manhattan Project Chain Reaction Game

And for DS I ended up buying: 10 Minute Heist the Wizards Tower

Oh and on the DH topic, I just learned that he was really interested in the game Half-Life because of the theme, it sounded like a game he'd really like to play, except he doesn't like direct shooter games. So I'm now feeling like I have an in, if I can find themes that really pull him in (and the game play is good) that I just might get a gaming partner. 

• Like 2

BlsdMama, I have only played Dragonwood a couple of times, but I thought it was fun. The kids play it pretty often; it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t take an extremely long time, and it appeals to my wide age range of kids. 6yo can play with some help. The big three often play a game in their rooms after the little two go to bed, or in the morning before IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m moving much, and they pick Dragonwood often.

My kids have been given some games individually, but most are family games. I think we might be in trouble if they were mostly individual when they move out!

• Like 1

Can anyone here give a review of Agricola?

TiA

I've never played but here are some reviews I found.

Agricola: Family Edition Review

Agricola 2016 Review Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Old McDonald Had A Farm, And On That Farm He Had A Wooden Cow

Agricola Review

It looks like a game I'd like to play for the first time with an experienced player.

Regards,

Kareni

I've never played but here are some reviews I found.

Agricola: Family Edition Review

Agricola 2016 Review Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Old McDonald Had A Farm, And On That Farm He Had A Wooden Cow

Agricola Review

It looks like a game I'd like to play for the first time with an experienced player.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Kareni.

Grin..  those reviews have put me off a bit.

Random extra: DS enjoys very involved board games that come with hefty rule books - yet a complicated game doesn't always mean it's going to be a keeper. 

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 1

We finally played a game we got last xmas - Labyrinth .... why did I wait a year to play this?? It's the perfect speed for the 7yo and 9yo and they're really enjoying playing. I'm hoping to level up their analytical skills before xmas arrives, lol.

I ordered a game for DH -- he doesn't like gaming, but I'm hoping the theme will get him interested in playing: The Manhattan Project Chain Reaction Game

And for DS I ended up buying: 10 Minute Heist the Wizards Tower

Oh and on the DH topic, I just learned that he was really interested in the game Half-Life because of the theme, it sounded like a game he'd really like to play, except he doesn't like direct shooter games. So I'm now feeling like I have an in, if I can find themes that really pull him in (and the game play is good) that I just might get a gaming partner.

Portal?

• Like 1

Can anyone here give a review of Agricola?

TiA

Agricola is one of our favorites!  No dice (looking at you, Settlers of Catan), with lots of variable play.  Agricola is an excellent gateway game to worker placement games.

When just starting, you play the "family" version of the game which is less complicated and has zero attack elements.  Even after years of playing (with the extra minor improvement/occupation cards), we still enjoy the simpler "family" version.  If you don't have anyone experienced to play with, watch a youtube video run through--that helps a lot.

HTH,

• Like 2

Agricola is one of our favorites!  No dice (looking at you, Settlers of Catan), with lots of variable play.  Agricola is an excellent gateway game to worker placement games.

When just starting, you play the "family" version of the game which is less complicated and has zero attack elements.  Even after years of playing (with the extra minor improvement/occupation cards), we still enjoy the simpler "family" version.  If you don't have anyone experienced to play with, watch a youtube video run through--that helps a lot.

HTH,

Perfect. Thank you.

• Like 1

Read some good reviews here on the board and online about Forbidden Island. Found it on Target.com for a FULL $8.00 LESS

than the exact same game in store. So I ordered it online last night, chose 'pick up in store' for today, and bought that EXACT same 

unit for $10.86 as opposed to $18.99 in store!  :mellow: Not complaining, though!

And not really a game, but my husband bought me Scrivener ( a writing software ).

ETA: a few months back, OfficeMax had some travel-sized versions of popular boardgames, like Clue, so I bought one for my son. We've contemplated getting an RV and traveling so I thought that would be perfect!

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 2

Read some good reviews here on the board and online about Forbidden Island. Found it on Target.com for a FULL $8.00 LESS

than the exact same game in store. So I ordered it online last night, chose 'pick up in store' for today, and bought that EXACT same 

unit for $10.86 as opposed to $18.99 in store!

That is bizarre, but I'm happy you got a bargain.  I hope you and yours enjoy the new game.

Regards,

Kareni

Kids are getting Pandemic and something called Magic Maze. Also, I had to clean out an attic and found a fairly large box with old board games (from when I was growing up). So those are going under the tree as well. We actually have far too many games - we don't play that often as we tend to fight unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Zombie

the creepers add a lot to this version

I played that one recently, and we didn't Get the creepers.   Between us, we'd played two games of Fluxx in the past, so maybe that was the problem.  

One unexpected (to me) side benefit with games and young children is the reading involved.  Child asks, "What does this card do?"   Adult, "What does it say?"   Child reads card.  

One unexpected fun, cheap game is the Monopoly card game.   Much much better than the board game.  You draw and play cards which are properties, money or action cards.   Property cards can substitute for money.  So, if you have to pay rent of 10 million (all money is in million increments) and you only have 6 million in cash in front of you, then you have to choose properties to fork over.   An action card might be "Everyone pays me rent on a certain color property" or "Forced trade" where the person with a card just gets to swap cards with someone and the other person can't say No.  Unless they have a "Say No" card.  First person with three monopolies wins.  

• Like 1

Raifta:

I also really want Mysterium from this list.  Reminds me a bit of Dixit mixed with Clue, and we enjoy both.

What did you think of Dixit?  It's under the tree for another kiddo this year.

We all quite enjoy Dixit, particularly DD who is my artsy child - the only aspect I don't enjoy is the game board because the silly bunnies they use as pieces fall over all the time and it's easy to lose track of where your piece is (especially with three helpful cats).  We liked it so much that we've gotten expansion sets - one last year and one this year under the tree.  I'm always amazed by the creative clues the kids can come up with for their cards when sometimes I am stumped with mine.

• Like 1

So Steam is having their winter sale and some people mentioned it for playing board games in addition to computer games. 

There is Ticket to Ride and Argicola and maybe one more I was thinking about getting -- just because I don't always have willing played around to play with me. Has anyone played on steam? I'm just curious if it's worthwhile or not. 

I got Potion Explosion as an app on my phone, it was a game I was thinking would be a fun family game, and it's amusing but maybe not amusing enough digitally. I think I would like the tactile version though.

• Like 1

Reviews....

Sushi Go Party - 3-4 stars (out of 5). I was super excited about this one, but it has underwhelmed me a little. The family likes it but it's the last they'd want to play. But one super awesome part is that you can custom the game for your audience - I cant make the game easier when the younger kids are player and harder if it's all adults. I do like it but just not as much as I hoped to. 

Sleeping Queens - this is probably the total winner with my 7yo and 9yo - they both loved it and keep asking to play again. 

Clumsy Thief Candy Shop -- this one also really enjoyed with the 7yo and 9yo and hopefully will get them a bit faster with their facts to 20.

Ticket to Ride - yay, this one was the perfect choice. I really debated getting the Europe version because of reviews, but I think that this version is perfect for my family right now. My husband said he even enjoyed playing it (wow! he doesn't like games). So yay, happy about this one!

Don't know about the games I gave DH and my oldest, because we didn't play them and oldest took his when he left. But another bonus, DH seemed interested in his game at least, yay!  Maybe I'll get another game player eventually!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately since we discovered Catan about 10 years ago, no other game interests us, besides card games.

However, we did learn that the "Gallery Edition" is a great version to start with...  The strategy is the same/just as challenging, but they simplify the set-up and a few other details.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38821/settlers-catan-gallery-edition

I don't think it's actually made anymore, but you can still find it here and there, on eBay, etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...