Menu

Games ~ what are you giving? any new discoveries? what are you hoping to receive?

Kareni

So on to the topic of games ~ what are you giving? any new discoveries? what are you hoping to receive?

We're giving  Quoridor Mini Game  to our great-nephew, aged ten.

I'm giving BLINK Card Game The World's Fastest Game to my husband.

Our favorite game discovery of the year is the  Bring Your Own Book Game.

There is no one game I hope to receive, but I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised.

And here's an enjoyable article about games that I spotted today ~ 

17 Board Games Every Adult Needs In Their Life

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

we give games weekly until Christmas plus I bought games for both kids as gifts this year!   KingDomino has been fun.  It's a short game but so far we all like it.  Kingdom Builder was opened last night and we will play tonight.  We saw this on TableTop and it looks fun.  I made it through the directions without any serious misgivings and hope tonight will be fun.  

We are also giving 5 Minute Dungeon, Prof Noggin's US History, Starfall, Star Wars Monopoly and some other small space related flash card game I can't remember what it's called. 

Kids wanted Superfight but I didn't know enough about it to know which color pack to buy...  

• Like 4

We're giving Bears Vs. Babies to DS.  He has Exploding Kittens and loves it.  

He's also getting Harry Potter Clue since the kids have gotten into Clue lately and brought the Clue game we have at the lake home this fall - this way we can take one back to the lake.

We got Oh Snap for my BFF's 9 year old daughter  (both BFF and I have tiny practically non-existent families so we exchange gifts with BFF and her family).

I got KingDomino for someone - not sure if it will be DD or DS.

I'm hoping to get Santorini or Patchwork for myself. 

Our favourite game of the year is the game that I created a month ago when DD insisted we all sit down one Sunday and make our own board games.  It's relatively quick (10-20 minutes), funny and requires zero strategy.  All the kids that have played it (we brought it to games day for our HS group at the park) thinks it's hilarious and all the moms think it's hilarious and could completely relate to it and were happy to help make suggestions for more cards for the squares that you land on (the squares being Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner and Thanksgiving - need I say more).  

I always like to check out the board game recommendations at Ben and Birdy - both their current holiday gift guide and their master list of favourite board games.

• Like 3

Now that I both have and am teaching preschoolers again, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been buying preschool games for work and home.

Current favs-

Smart Games Little Red riding hood

I spy dig in

Memory mix up by mind ware

Bunny peek a boo

Day and Night

My teens donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t play games anymore. Oh well

• Like 1

Kids are getting King of Tokyo (DS9), Splendor (DS8), and Roller Coaster Challenge (DS4) from us.  I suspect FIL is getting all of us some new games or expansions to Castle Panic or Boss Monster.

We bought Bears vs. Babies earlier this year.  I'm not too fond of it right now, but the kids really like it.  I suspect like Exploding Kittens it will be even more fun with expansions.

• Like 1

I always love these threads.

I just got Forbidden Island for my 9yo for his birthday. It was a huge hit so they asked for the sequel, Forbidden Desert, which theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get for Christmas.

I also got Codenames Pictures for them, since they liked Codenames last year. And I got Timeline because that looked cool. A friend just told me about Pyramix, so I might also get that.

Last year, I got them Quirkle, Codenames, Dragonwood, And Sheriff of Nottingham. All were huge hits. SoN is a little complicated to learn but well worth it, and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hilarious to play with dramatic personalities.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d love to find a new game for my non-readers that isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t babyish, like Moose in the House, so I will check out the suggestions here.

• Like 2

Forbidden Forest to DD, Kingdomino to one DS and Zeus on the Loose to the other. Our game closet is exploding so I am trying to curb my game purchases but there are just so many on the wishlist. We still don't have Castle Panic so I will probably nab that one before Christmas too as an everyone gift.

• Like 1

I have Black Sails and Templar to give to the kids for Christmas.  I also have a kickstarter that will be delivered within the next two weeks (Kitchen Rush) so I will have one of the kids wrap that up to give to me.  Lol.

I'm considering buying a new Munchkin for DS.  And a new Fluxx for DD.  

• Like 1

I purchased quite a few games this year:

- EeBoo Tea Party Game- for my little girls

- Mastermind- for my older boys

- Rock Me Archimedes- for our family

- Catan Junior- for our family

And I also purchased a few puzzles and brain teasers for everyone.

• Like 1

Machi Koro (and the expansions, because my boys have played it with our friends and it turns out they've only ever played it with the expansions).

Sushi Go Party

Bounce Off Party

Dutch Blitz w/expansion

Scrimish

Some favorites from past years:  Alibi, Cash & Guns, Eye Know, Picwits, & 7 Wonders.  We also love to play Nerts.

• Like 1

I have Black Sails and Templar to give to the kids for Christmas.  I also have a kickstarter that will be delivered within the next two weeks (Kitchen Rush) so I will have one of the kids wrap that up to give to me.  Lol.

Just watched a game play for Kitchen Rush and I want that one. That's right up my ally, but I don't have anyone capable of playing it with me at this point -- it may be the game that convinces DH to play a game though. I could see my playing it alone from time to time.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 1

I bought way, way too many games this year. So far some we have played for our game countdown to Christmas

Letters to Santa

Holiday fluxx

12 days of Christmas

Bohanza duel

One night ultimate alien

Queen domino

yamslam

Some we are gifting this year:

Potion explosion

Battle sheep

Broom service

There are more. I just canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember off the top of my head Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¬

• Like 2

I also really want Mysterium from this list.  Reminds me a bit of Dixit mixed with Clue, and we enjoy both.

We LOVE Mysterium!

We are getting the new Betrayal game (It's $29 instead of $50 as I type this!!): https://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Hill-Betrayal-Baldurs-Board/dp/B06XW8R798/

Also, I'm trying to get a few solo games so that I or ds16 can just play a game whenever everyone else is being lame!  LOL  I've spotted this one, Sylvion and it's "sister" game Onirim. Beautiful artwork...has anyone played these?  https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-49001ZMG-Sylvion-Board/dp/B00SOFYVJY

Just watched a game play for Kitchen Rush and I want that one. That's right up my ally, but I don't have anyone capable of playing it with me at this point -- it may be the game that convinces DH to play a game though. I could see my playing it alone from time to time.

You know, the game specifically says 1-4 players, so I'm guessing there is a way to play solo.  More and more of these unique board games are coming out with solo variants.  

I'll try and remember to update once I have the game.  Which may not be until after Christmas if I have the kids wrap it up... Decisions, decisions.  Maybe a quick peek in the box when no one else is home?  :laugh:

• Like 1

Nothing new this year, as the game cabinet is currently overflowing. ;) BUT, big hits we have given/received in the past 2 holidays include:

- Love Letters: Batman edition

- Codenames

- Kingdom Builder

- World's Fair

- King's Cribbage

- Five Tribes

- 7 Wonders

- Bananagrams

Enjoyed now for longer than 2 years:

- Takenoko

- Catan

- Ticket to Ride: Europe (also Asia)

- Five Crowns card game

- Quiddler card game

Good co-operative games:

- Castle Panic

- Secret Door

- Forbidden Island

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

A post that might be of interest ~

The 50 Best New Board Games

Regards,

Kareni

We also really love Wil Wheaton's "Tabletop" show (YouTube, Geeks & Sundry) for being able to SEE how the more complicated games work. (Note: some mild language in the heat of game play, and occasional innuendo.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I picked up Splendor for myself and DH. The kids will be getting Evolution and The Magic Labyrinth (not the same game as Labyrinth which they already have and love).

There is a new game just launched on kickstarter that I am super excited about: Squatch. My neighbor is one of the creators so we've played it a few times with them as test runs. It's always a lot of fun so I'm hoping it gets funded. 

I'm considering getting another logic/thinking single-player game. We have several already but the kids have nearly worked through all the puzzles on them. We spend an hour or two a week all sitting together taking turns on different games and it would be nice to add a bit more to our choices. We have: Rush hour, three little pigs, zoologic, animalogic, smart cookies, dinosaurs mystic islands, laser maze jr, code master, balance beans, camelot jr, q-bitz, and iq twist. I want something that will be along these lines but not the same thing in a different wrapping. I did some searching today and a few I'm considering are Gravity Maze, Cat Crimes, and Dr. Eureka.

• Like 1

I picked up Splendor for myself and DH. The kids will be getting Evolution and The Magic Labyrinth (not the same game as Labyrinth which they already have and love).

There is a new game just launched on kickstarter that I am super excited about: Squatch. My neighbor is one of the creators so we've played it a few times with them as test runs. It's always a lot of fun so I'm hoping it gets funded. 

I'm considering getting another logic/thinking single-player game. We have several already but the kids have nearly worked through all the puzzles on them. We spend an hour or two a week all sitting together taking turns on different games and it would be nice to add a bit more to our choices. We have: Rush hour, three little pigs, zoologic, animalogic, smart cookies, dinosaurs mystic islands, laser maze jr, code master, balance beans, camelot jr, q-bitz, and iq twist. I want something that will be along these lines but not the same thing in a different wrapping. I did some searching today and a few I'm considering are Gravity Maze, Cat Crimes, and Dr. Eureka.

Dr. Eureka dropped $6 on amazon today, currently on it's lowest price ever at $10-something.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 2

I was going to put an Amazon link to it, but it is only available from one of those sellers that doesn't really have it so the price is outrageous.   

You're Bluffing card game.   The cards show either silly animal drawings or money cards.   There is four of each animal.   At your turn you can either auction off the top animal card, or do a cattle trade.  It gets deep with strategy and people-figuring.   In an auction, the auctioneer when the auction is done can pay the winning bidder the winning bid for the animal.   So sometimes you bet high on something you don't want because you know that the auctioneer really wants it.  Because you get lots of money and don't have to give up anything.  Or, the auctioneer can call your bluff and give you the animal and then you have to fork over the money.  Cattle trades are between two people with the same animal.   The person who starts it offers some money cards face down (so the amount is unknown) for a certain animal.   The other person either accepts the cards and gives up the animal, OR the second person offers a counteroffer of money.  The person who offered the most money gets the other person's animal.   The wild part is that each keeps the other person's money offer.   

I enjoyed Splendor.   I think it is just my love of sparkly things.  

• Like 1

I hate making choices, buy all the games!
I'm debating the following games, I need to pick just 3 for the family, 9yo and 7yo.... maybe I could pretend a game is for the 2yo too to justify a 4th game: 

Forbidden Island
Sushi Go Party . -- I hate games in tins.... but it gets good reviews and we all love sushi

Sleeping Queens

Dr. Eureka Speed Logic -- worried we're not the best house for dropping small balls that roll away (tilty wood floors), but I love logic games and tactile games.

Clumsy Thief in Candy Shop . -- my kids need to practice their facts to 20 a little more, it's cute but probably doesn't compare to the others.

Family Game: 

Prime Climb -- I've wanted this since it was on kickstarter, this would be the family game (honestly, it should be a me game)

Kingdomino -- the other contender for a family game, looks cute, but I think I like Prime Climb more

Game for 22yo, this is really a 4th game already decided:

We Didn't Playtest This At All -- Bears vs Babies sounded good too but the price is a little higher than I want but I can be convinced to go for it.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 2

I got dh Near and Far for Christmas. It's a game with a lot of storytelling and building. A friend recommended it and we have the related game Above and Below. He got Raptor for his birthday last month (2 player, 1 player is the raptor mom and babies trying to escape and the other is the scientists trying to corner and capture the babies).

pic2520016_md.jpg

He got me a game (at least one) but I'm not supposed to know about that. ;)

Edited by LostSurprise
  • Like 1

You know, the game specifically says 1-4 players, so I'm guessing there is a way to play solo.  More and more of these unique board games are coming out with solo variants.  

I'll try and remember to update once I have the game.  Which may not be until after Christmas if I have the kids wrap it up... Decisions, decisions.  Maybe a quick peek in the box when no one else is home?  :laugh:

I watched the video for it this morning, but it looks like it is sold out at this point :(

I bought Forbidden Island and Dr. Eureka; both are less expensive now than when I bought them :(  

I think dd will love Dr. Eureka.  I'm planning that she take it back to university.   

• Like 1

Dr. Eureka dropped $6 on amazon today, currently on it's lowest price ever at $10-something.

I added it to the kids' christmas wish list on amazon, which both grandparents have access to. I got on after I saw your post to order it and it told me someone had already purchased it today. Grandma must be watching amazon deals! 

• Like 4