Menu

Just made the appointment to say goodbye to our kitty

Jann in TX

Mr Neelix is at least 19 years old.  We adopted him from a shelter (on his 'last day there') 18 years ago.  He has been a great cat-- one of the softest ones I've ever petted...

He has been in renal failure for almost 2 years and has had some bowel issues for the past year.  The meds are no longer working and he had a very bad weekend. 

He still had some purr left last night when I was scratching his head-- but he was quivering in pain too.

We take him in this afternoon.  Youngest dd wants to be there... she has never been without him (she is almost 16).

Edited by Jann in TX

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry. I can't bury any more of my furry friends, so we're done w/ pets here. I still have holes in my heart from the ones we've lost. I'm so glad you gave him such a good home and that you had so very many good years with him. We never had that many years with any of ours. 

Sniff, sniff. 

I am so sorry. You gave him an amazing life--eighteen extra years of love and pets! What a lucky, blessed kitty. He lived longer than most cats do and was loved every day of those 18 years.

It is very, very hard to let them go. It is very, very hard at the vets when they're gone. I am so sorry. I really am. I've done this too many times and it never gets easier. I think it gets harder. I am so sorry.

• Like 2

I just made this trip two hours ago with our 20-some year old Princess - vet expected her to go over a year ago but only this weekend did she stop eating (even her fav bits of salmon filet and sirloin I got for her when cat food was rejected) and obviously indicate it was time. When they have had a long, full life it is hard to let them go, but a kindness to not keep them lingering if they are in pain (and kitty cats are experts at masking pain). Princess had shown up, a stray, almost 20 years ago when I was babysitting the neighbor's three kids along with my four. Seven kids ages 10 and under squealing with joy over a cat, petting her, etc. and the cat was so chill about it we just had to adopt her.

Think of all the good times you had with Mr. Neelix. You gave him a good life. That final trip to the vet is the hardest part of being owned by a pet.

• Like 1

I just made this trip two hours ago with our 20-some year old Princess - vet expected her to go over a year ago but only this weekend did she stop eating (even her fav bits of salmon filet and sirloin I got for her when cat food was rejected) and obviously indicate it was time. When they have had a long, full life it is hard to let them go, but a kindness to not keep them lingering if they are in pain (and kitty cats are experts at masking pain). Princess had shown up, a stray, almost 20 years ago when I was babysitting the neighbor's three kids along with my four. Seven kids ages 10 and under squealing with joy over a cat, petting her, etc. and the cat was so chill about it we just had to adopt her.

Think of all the good times you had with Mr. Neelix. You gave him a good life. That final trip to the vet is the hardest part of being owned by a pet.

I'm so sorry to hear about Princess. :crying:

Princess had shown up, a stray, almost 20 years ago when I was babysitting the neighbor's three kids along with my four. Seven kids ages 10 and under squealing with joy over a cat, petting her, etc. and the cat was so chill about it we just had to adopt her. 

I can just picture that — what a sweet story.   :001_wub:   Sounds like she chose the perfect family. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I just made this trip two hours ago with our 20-some year old Princess - vet expected her to go over a year ago but only this weekend did she stop eating (even her fav bits of salmon filet and sirloin I got for her when cat food was rejected) and obviously indicate it was time. When they have had a long, full life it is hard to let them go, but a kindness to not keep them lingering if they are in pain (and kitty cats are experts at masking pain). Princess had shown up, a stray, almost 20 years ago when I was babysitting the neighbor's three kids along with my four. Seven kids ages 10 and under squealing with joy over a cat, petting her, etc. and the cat was so chill about it we just had to adopt her.Think of all the good times you had with Mr. Neelix. You gave him a good life. That final trip to the vet is the hardest part of being owned by a pet.

:grouphug: :grouphug: I’m sorry.