Menu

Main dishes that freeze well as single servings?

TrixieB

I would like to give my mom some single-serving frozen main dishes for days that she doesn't feel up to cooking herself dinner.

Tonight I'm making beef stew so that will be easy to set aside a serving or two for her.

We are gluten-free (she is not).  Her main dietary restriction is low sugar.

I'd like to give her main dishes that are substantial, with protein and fat, so she can just add a salad or serving of fruit if she wants.

Please share your ideas.  Thank you!

Meatballs.  Make them, bake them at high temperatures, and freeze them on a baking sheet.  Then put single servings into containers, and freeze the gravy in ice cube trays, then bag--3-4 standard cubes is a nice size for a single serving.

Quiche reheats well from frozen in the oven, though not in the microwave.  Again, you freeze individual slices and THEN package them.

Chili.

Many Bean Soup

• Like 1

Most soups freezecwell.

Meatloaf and meatballs.

Cheesy potatoes freezecweel

Mashed potatoes that have been made with cream cheese and sour cream

Chicken tetrazzini

Fry up some ground beef with onions and seasoning. She can use it for tacos, or spaghetti.

I would think about freezing a portion of your own dinner meal for the next few weeks assuming it’s a meal Sophie can eat.

Pasta dishes work well for this.

I make a sausage sauerkraut soup (kielbasa, mushrooms, potatoes, chicken broth, celery, carrots, drained sauerkraut, dill, Black pepper — just simmer until done), and it freezes well. I normally omit the potatoes, so I’m not sure if they’d turn mushy when thawed or not.

Quiche sorts of dishes, especially crustless, freeze well, as do egg scrambles.

One of my favorite meals is chicken tikka masala. Boil some chicken breasts until cooked. Drain excess water, and shred chicken. Add rice (you may need more water for this), and cook. Add frozen broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, and/or spinach, and some jars of Aldi’s Tikka masala simmer sauce, and cook until everything is hot. This freezes very nicely. (I plan leftovers for DH for lunch, and if we end up with too many, I throw them in the freezer for days when there aren’t leftovers.)

I make my mom freezer fulls of single serve meals all the time.  I make and freeze in baggies as individual meals that she can thaw and re-heat:  Golumbki, stuffed peppers, pork chops, lasagna, baked ziti, meatloaf (sliced prior to freezing), pot roast with veggies, Mexican chicken and rice, beef tips with gravy, chili, chicken pot pie (I make the pie then carve it up and freeze the individual slices), sausage and peppers, beef stew, vegetable beef soup, pork tenderloin (which I slice into single serve portions and freeze with a cherry sauce), and chicken and veggies with mushrooms soup that I make in the crock pot.

• Like 1

Lots of good suggestions so I'll just add one. If you all like breakfast for dinner (or if you want to make her some breakfast food) you could make a breakfast casserole. They don't have to have bread in them, there are some recipes that use hash browns and some that have neither bread or potatoes. I make breakfast casseroles and cut them into individual servings to freeze. Similarly you could also make breakfast burritos if there's a type of gluten free tortilla or wrap you like. Or since she's not gluten free if you're able to work with gluten products without a problem you could use regular flour tortillas for hers and something else for yours.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Adding on to the "breakfast for dinner" idea, both pancakes and French toast freeze nicely after cooking and cooling.  Make up a bunch and freeze individually on cookie sheets and then wrap each piece for storage.  If they'll eat through them pretty quickly, don't worry about wrapping the individual pieces, just put them in a Ziploc bag together. 

• Like 1