Menu

Informal "meeting" at Noon...do I need to have food??

TheReader

We're having some neighborhood drama, which is not important to this post, but as a result of it, the assorted moderators/admins of our neighborhood Facebook group are meeting to discuss the issue and how to address it. 

The only time everyone can meet is today, at Noon, and my house is the only one w/o young children who will be underfoot, so they're coming here. 

I didn't think anything of it, but DH thinks we need food and such, since it's at Noon. My current plan is make some grilled cheese, have chips & salsa available, maybe I can bake some (from a mix) cookies or something, and I have iced tea, water, juice, milk, and can make coffee and have hot water ready for hot tea. 

Is that sufficient? Do I need to have more? Less? It's just the 3 other mods coming over to discuss this issue, and I wouldn't think it will take longer than 30 mins to an hour.....

DH wants to know if we need to run to store or not.....(I do not have enough fruit or veggies in house to make a fruit/veggie tray). 

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?? Or "sandwiches & chips is fine"??

• Like 1

No. If this is a short meeting to resolve a specific issue, and not a social event, I treat it as business meeting.

I'd offer something to drink. People can last an hour without food.

ETA: If food, something simple and non -messy. Cheese and crackers. Fruit. Cookies. Nothing that says "lunch"; people will have made plans for lunch.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 15

You are already opening up your house by hosting the meeting. The guests are adults and can bring their own lunch if they need to. I would expect simple store bought cookies for a public meeting at a public venue if it is noon because I am assuming people are skipping work lunch to attend (and voice their opinions on policies/school boundaries redrawing/bonds), but not when it is a meeting at someone’s home.

• Like 1

Okay, whew. That's what I thought (the grilled cheese idea was added when DH was aghast I wasn't having food...). 

Will put out chips & salsa, offer a drink and call it good. Will add the grilled cheese if DH insists (I was thinking I'd cut them in quarters and put a little tray, so not make enough for "lunch" but a warm snack since for us it's unseasonably cold right now). 

• Like 7

Okay, whew. That's what I thought (the grilled cheese idea was added when DH was aghast I wasn't having food...). 

Will put out chips & salsa, offer a drink and call it good. Will add the grilled cheese if DH insists (I was thinking I'd cut them in quarters and put a little tray, so not make enough for "lunch" but a warm snack since for us it's unseasonably cold right now). 

That sounds perfect.

I like food for meetings because keeping everyone's blood sugar steady is good for their attitude. You don't want anyone to be hangry while discussing drama of any kind.

• Like 3

It's Christmas/the holidays, so it's normal to have around cookies and a cheese tray. I agree that a *little* food would take the edge off and be pleasant. A box of donuts is a normal thing in the office. Ditch the grill cheese. That's kind of imposing, because they don't hold meaning they have to eat it even if they're low carb. Means you don't have a gluten free option. Cheese and crackers, some grapes, cookies, drinks (coffee/tea/water) is more than enough.

• Like 1

It's Christmas/the holidays, so it's normal to have around cookies and a cheese tray. I agree that a *little* food would take the edge off and be pleasant. A box of donuts is a normal thing in the office. Ditch the grill cheese. That's kind of imposing, because they don't hold meaning they have to eat it even if they're low carb. Means you don't have a gluten free option. Cheese and crackers, some grapes, cookies, drinks (coffee/tea/water) is more than enough.

Hmmm.....

None of the folks coming have food limitations, that I'm aware of. 

Would the sandwiches still be an imposition if they are quartered and on a tray to select from? 

I pretty much just have chips (or could pop popcorn..) otherwise, at this point, because I never made the cookies....I'll have to see if we have fruit left or if my kids ate it all. 

I might have time for the cookies if I get in there right this minute....

If you have chips or a cheese and cracker tray, and no one eats it, you can put the food away.  What are you going to do with leftover grilled cheese sandwiches?  I don't think it's imposing on people to offer them - they can decline if they don't want it.   

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! 

I ended up putting out chips, quartered grilled cheese sandwiches (which were almost totally gone, and there were only 3 of us), and a simple fruit salad. It ended up being perfect, so that worked.

Re: had there been any leftovers.....with all the boys in this house, and all of their respective appetites, that was not even on my radar, lol! Suffice it to say, what we didn't eat at the meeting, the boys took care of in short order. ;) And the next meeting is being held at Panera, rather than anyone's house, so I'm officially off the hook. Whew!

• Like 7