Menu

Netflix....need movie/show ideas

Ottakee

I have a new toe treadmill and have found that I am more.motivated to walk while watching something on Netflix.

Right now I am watching the movie, The Great Gilly Hopkins...in segments each time I walk.

I would like fairly clean, family friendly type movies/shows to watch. Any good ideas for me? Comedies, lighter shows, etc would be good but open to others.

I just have no idea what is even out there to watch.

• Like 2

White Collar always gets my vote. It’s crime drama but almost never gory. There’s humor and good dialogue. It’s almost entirely clean. There are a few references to teA, but pretty clean and tasteful. I just started watching it again for about the fourth time.

I’ve been enjoying Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries lately too, and it’s entertaining and somewhat humorous, but it’s a little gorier and less family friendly.

Not sure if Netflix has them but the older "Miss Marple" with Margaret Rutherford.

They are all based on Agatha Christie books.

Murder at the Gallop

Murder Ahoy

4:50 from Paddington

Even though they are crime stories, there a good portion of dry humor woven in.

Edited by Liz CA

Looks like they offer some older, family-friendly TV series:

- Andy Griffith Show

- Dick Van Dyke Show

- original Star Trek series

- Star Trek: Next Generation

- The Twilight Zone

Some more recent series -- no personal experience, but:

- Cedar Cove (Hallmark series)

- When Calls the Heart (Hallmark series)

- Heartland

- The Crown

Non-fiction series:

- Mythbusters

- The Great British Baking Show  (I am NOT a reality TV show fan *at all*, but loved this series!)

Edited by Lori D.

I'm watching The Good Doctor in Korean with subtitles, and it's really good. Nothing objectionable at all so far, except a person got stabbed in episode 16 and the occasional (really occasional, like a couple times in 16 episodes) korean profanity word. Actually it's pretty hilarious because the lead character tries to curse and instead issues imprecatory curses (may your....) instead of using profanity.  :lol: Oh, there's a lot of drinking. Must be their culture or something.

I don't know how much you're planning to exercise, but a little trick I learned at the Y was to use your shows to break it up. Well actually, they have 3 tvs in the women's side, so watch 10 minutes on the first tv with the first machine, 10 minutes with the 2nd tv on the next machine, 10 minutes on the 3rd tv with the 3rd machine. And it's perverse, but I find cooking shows are really nice while you're working out. They usually have on a tv with cooking, a tv with HGTV, and a tv with news. So if you don't tend to make time for tv, you get caught up on everything in just 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

I'm watching The Good Doctor in Korean with subtitles, and it's really good. Nothing objectionable at all so far, except a person got stabbed in episode 16 and the occasional (really occasional, like a couple times in 16 episodes) korean profanity word. Actually it's pretty hilarious because the lead character tries to curse and instead issues imprecatory curses (may your....) instead of using profanity.  :lol: Oh, there's a lot of drinking. Must be their culture or something.

I don't know how much you're planning to exercise, but a little trick I learned at the Y was to use your shows to break it up. Well actually, they have 3 tvs in the women's side, so watch 10 minutes on the first tv with the first machine, 10 minutes with the 2nd tv on the next machine, 10 minutes on the 3rd tv with the 3rd machine. And it's perverse, but I find cooking shows are really nice while you're working out. They usually have on a tv with cooking, a tv with HGTV, and a tv with news. So if you don't tend to make time for tv, you get caught up on everything in just 30 minutes.

Is the Korean show on Netflix? Searching only gets me Freddie Highmore's version which I already watch and love.

Is the Korean show on Netflix? Searching only gets me Freddie Highmore's version which I already watch and love.

I tried googling and it popped up, but it *might* have been japan or a different country. There was jp in the web address. You can stream it for free on DramaFever's site (maybe with ads?) or watch it through amazon by doing a trial of DramaFever. 

I loved Season 1 so much and have been binge-watching Season 2 a bit this weekend to prevent a cold that is coming on. Just FYI, Season 2 Episode 7 is NOT fairly clean and family friendly. Some pretty graphic s*x scenes.

Oh, gosh. How disappointing! I thought the "cleanness" and historical accuracy were so refreshing. :(

I loved Season 1 so much and have been binge-watching Season 2 a bit this weekend to prevent a cold that is coming on. Just FYI, Season 2 Episode 7 is NOT fairly clean and family friendly. Some pretty graphic s*x scenes.

Yup.  Just binge watched Season 2 this weekend.  Definitely didn't want the kids seeing that episode.   :huh: