Menu

Cursive First or another cursive program for my 7yo..

thundersweet

Dd wants to learn cursive. What is the best cursive program? HWT? I have Cursive First but I am really thinking I might want more of a workbook for more practice. Anything to go along with CF?

Is there any reason to choose one program over another? For instance, CF starts the letter c at the baseline. It makes sense to do this. Do all programs do this? If not, which way is better?

Thanks,

Sandy

Well here is our one families experience....

Hi we used Cursive First this year for dd (8) and ds (5). My 8 year old went through it very quickly (in fact I put all spelling on hold until she had been introduced to all of the letters including the capitals). For the five year old I am just adding a letter or two a couple times a week. Both are doing well, and the practice sheets are more than enough.

After the numbers I don't use their exact method anymore, it was slowing us down too much, but it gave us a good start.

If you want more practice you can say the sounds of the letters (if you are using SWR) as a review for the letters you have already introduced. Also you don't have to fill out each practice sheet completely each time, then they are used longer. My children actually improve more by practicing a letter less often in a single session than more. Also, if she can get the basic form, you can help her handwriting improve over the year with writing assignments in other subjects. So you don't have to expect it to be perfect the first time a round. Also, it seems that there are many different ways of writing cursive. Not all methods start their letters on the bottom line. The good part about that though is there is no confusion on where to start. I was intimidated at the beginning of the year but, it was actually way simpler that I had thought it would be and my daughter's handwriting is very nice already. I really can't stress enough though to make Cursive First fit you and not get too tied up is all the different ways to practice a letter (sand box, air, etc) once you see that they are getting the hang of it.

DD is currently working on the HWT cursive book (from school) and I hate the way it looks....there isn't any slant (which doesn't bother me that much) and the bottoms of the letters look flat---like you are writing on top of a ruler and then take it away.

Im trying to find another cursive program for DD to use at home

ETA: Have you seen the Cursive Connection books at Rainbow Resource? Im considering one of those

Edited by Rainbows

DD is currently working on the HWT cursive book (from school) and I hate the way it looks....there isn't any slant (which doesn't bother me that much) and the bottoms of the letters look flat---like you are writing on top of a ruler and then take it away.

Im trying to find another cursive program for DD to use at home

ETA: Have you seen the Cursive Connection books at Rainbow Resource?

Im considering one of those

No, I have not. I'll go check it out!

Thanks everyone!

Sandy

I really like A Beka's cursive writing. We start right off with cursive in K4 and I am amazed at how well my boys have done with it.

We've abandoned A Beka curriculum in every other area, but I haven't found a handwriting program we like better and so are sticking with A Beka. By 1st grade my son is writing well enough to simply do his narration and dictation exercises in cursive, and I use StartWrite to generate those for him.