Menu

Ok. There just must be something!! (got long)

Night Elf

My ds is the hardest person to buy for! He wants nor needs anything. He's 21 years old and has Aspergers. He doesn't drive. He has a cell phone which he used when he tried college and when he was working. He hasn't touched it since he quit his job last month. He's got a Classic iPod that we got for him many years ago but it's still in great working condition and he doesn't see the need to get a new one. He's a very practical person. He's got headphones (over the ears style) that he likes. I used to always keep an extra identical pair for when his broke which happened twice. The last time I tried to buy them they aren't made anymore and I have no idea how to buy them. He wears them only when he listens to his iPod.

The only gift I got for him this year is a $6 t-shirt that is blue with a biohazard symbol on it. I have no idea if he'll like it. I could go buy him a pair of athletic pants which are the only pants he wears on a daily basis, but that's something I need to buy for him anyway so it seems like a desperation gift. I rarely give clothes for Christmas except special shirts/sweatshirts with fun graphics on them. The exception is I'm getting my DH a nice sweater for Christmas, but I'm even now rethinking that and will probably give it to him when it arrives.

Back to my son. His interest (He has Aspergers remember, so they typically have a major interest or two) is computer games. He used to play them a lot but then he stopped and was only watching videos of others playing games. Now he's back into playing but scaled way back from what he used to do. In other words, although this is a major interest, he doesn't spend nearly as much time on it as he used to. I can't think of anything related to gaming that I could give to him. He plays PC games he buys from Steam so I guess I could give him a gift card but I really want a gift I can wrap up and put under the tree.

He's very knowledgeable about History. He's gotten into politics since the beginning of the last presidential election and he and DH discuss political articles they read online. He's good at math and logic. I wanted a logic game for him and I bought Tipover but it looks too easy and something he'll conquer really fast so I'm donating it.

He needs new bedding but he says he doesn't want anything new. He sleeps with one thermal blanket, no sheets. He's got a comforter he uses when it gets really cold that he's had since we moved into this house in 2005. There are no room decorations I can think of to get for him. He's got game posters up on all available space. 

He's got many old game consoles and lots of games but doesn't touch them anymore. I wish there was one I knew he would want that I could track down as a surprise but he's never mentioned not having something in particular. As I said, he's a PC gamer now. He never touches his consoles.

He doesn't drink alcohol so a fun beer or something is not going to work.

Do they still make hand-held electronics games? He's got a handheld console type game. I mean one that is just one game. Maybe I should go to Walmart and see what they have.

Oh, his last major interest that he gave up at age 18 was Legos. I currently have a 6-foot table with an entire Lego city built on it sitting in my library. He doesn't touch them anymore. I don't think he'd like a new kit to build because he has no where to put a new one. All shelves in his room are taken. He got some big kits like module buildings that he really enjoyed putting together. He's gotten several small car/truck type sets so he doesn't need anymore of those. His city streets are full. He's not into mini-figs so I can't buy him those. I did buy him one special mini-fig. It's a gamer which is cool looking and is going into his stocking.

What on earth do you buy for a young adult who doesn't want anything? We're giving cash as well as gifts but I'd like him to open more than just one shirt.

Super duper ideas that I haven't thought about yet? 

What's his love language?

Acts of service: iou coupons for things he needs done but doesn't like to do

Quality time: family movie and popcorn and treat basket

Words of affirmation: card or meaningful letter telling him the things you appreciate about him.

I can't remember the other 2 off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

nice electric razor?

cologne?

subscription to a gaming magazine?

I thought about an electric razor for his birthday last summer but chickened out because I don't know how to buy one. There are so many to choose from.

I like the idea of a gaming magazine. He used to get the Nintendo one years ago and has actually saved every copy which is sitting in my attic. :)

• Like 1

I thought about an electric razor for his birthday last summer but chickened out because I don't know how to buy one. There are so many to choose from.

I like the idea of a gaming magazine. He used to get the Nintendo one years ago and has actually saved every copy which is sitting in my attic. :)

Ehhh... how hard can it be?  Ask your DH what he likes.  I know mine prefers the ones that have a thinner rectangular head rather than the huge triangular head, but that's probably just a personal preference thing.  Get a trusted brand and I'm sure you'll be fine.  :-D  

At that stage, my husband's parents started giving him gift cards wrapped up separately. So he'd get a Eddie Bauer Gift card, a grocery store gift card, a book store gift card, and a gas card.  Maybe a fast food gift card

I know to this day, he's VERY hard to buy for. A gift card to a nice restaurant he prefers much more than most stuff.

This year, he is getting a mp3 player (to listen to music at his new job), the only Esquivel CD he does not yet have (from the kids if I can manage to get them to choose it), and some slippers (if he can find the kind he likes)

All three are things he chose out himself.

The kids might throw a wrench into it and choose something else. And even occasionally they make good choices (He still has on his desk the glass globe he would have never chosen for himself). But-- its rare

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Ehhh... how hard can it be?  Ask your DH what he likes.  I know mine prefers the ones that have a thinner rectangular head rather than the huge triangular head, but that's probably just a personal preference thing.  Get a trusted brand and I'm sure you'll be fine.  :-D  

DH has a short beard. He only uses clippers to keep it close to his face and shaves the rest of his face and neck. He's never owned an electric razor so he couldn't help me.

Ds is very sensitive on his face. What does an electric razor feel like? Does it hurt at all?

Some ideas:

Experience gifts like indoor skydiving, escape room, zip lining, introductory scuba diving course

Event tickets like concerts, comedy shows, Comic-Con or other conventions, reptile or other animal shows, movie tickets, theatre

Online gifts like a subscription to Audible, Spotify, or Steam

Membership gifts to Costco, Top Golf, local gym

Magazine subscriptions to any of his interests

Food: he's a very picky eater so new stuff won't work. He has some sort of sensitivity to cookies and some candies so his teeth ache when he eats them. I asked him about the Sweetheart Chewies he eats and he says he can eat them. I'm also thinking of getting him a can of Pringles because it will fill his stocking. However, he may not eat them because he only eats plain Lays chips.

Experiences: He's a homebody. He doesn't like going out and doing anything. He doesn't do concerts or classes or gym/museum memberships. I'd love to get him to a gym, but when I do manage to get him on our treadmill he walks extremely slowly for 10 minutes and says he doesn't want to do anymore.

Reading: No, he doesn't read. He surprised me a few months ago when he asked me to buy a book on my Kindle for him. It was something he read about online about the future. I've asked him if there are other books like that he might try but he said no.

Steam: Yes, I'm probably going to get him a gift card but that is going to go into his stocking rather than being a wrapped gift.

His sister is giving him a food gift card. I could get one too but again, that would be something for his stocking.

I swear I'm not trying to be difficult. It's my son who is difficult! We don't even give him a birthday present because there is never anything he wants. Last birthday we gave him $100 cash and he added it to the ample savings he'd been accumulating since he started his job. He's got more in savings than DH and I do. I'm giving him some cash for Christmas.

Does he have a decent headset for the PC? Need a new mouse or graphics card?

We get Game Informer magazine, because we have both PC and console gamers, but PC Gamer might be a better magazine choice for him.

My kids have that LEGO book. It skews toward the younger set, IMO.

I don't know what videos he watches or games he's into, but you can buy gear from some of the sites' shops. I used to have a Red vs. Blue shirt from Rooster Teeth. My brother has Achievement Hunter shirts.

Agreeing with a subscription to PC Gamer.

And the Steam card (or cards).

What games does he watch or play on his PC? (You don't have to answer, but may want to look into whatever store is associated with the game or games he likes. For example, check out the Valve store if he likes Counterstrike, Dota, or others.)

Etsy is another good place to do a search for items based on his favorite PC games. A couple of years ago, I got my ds some etched glasses (drinking glasses) that had figures from Team Fortress on them. They're nice, have held up well going through the dishwasher every day, & it's something normal he uses but wasn't expecting. (I got him pint glasses from this vendor with the TF2 figures on them.) From a different vendor, I got a cool LED light with the Overwatch logo for his desk -- another fun thing that he wasn't expecting but enjoys having.

Can you think of any hobby he might like to try?  Maybe something to start a small business?  For example, I know there's some way to convert VHS tapes to discs.  I think there's still a market for that!  I don't know.  Just something you think he's suited for that he hasn't tried yet.

I'm trying to think of something artsy/craftsy for my oldest to expand his experiences beyond work (for his dad, lol).

Does he like classic video games? If so, he might like the "flashback" consoles and handheld systems from Sega Genesis and Atari. They come pre-loaded with 80-85 games each.

If you think he might be interested, just post here and I'll find some links for you. Also, there are a few different types of the little consoles, so I can post the differences for you to help you decide which would work best for him.

The price range for the flashback things is from $50-70 each, but I think the handheld ones are on sale now for around $37.50 or so.

• Like 2

Oh, gosh, that's hard....

My oldest is similar, so I feel your pain. He did come up with a Lego he wants this year, which we had to track down on eBay as it's one that's been discontinued....otherwise, we'd be right there with you. 

Some ideas....does he have any interest, at all, in making videos of himself gaming? To put on YouTube? If so, would he like a camera &/or camera attachments for his phone? Perhaps with a book on entering the YouTube world.....? 

Does he game on a laptop, or desk top? Would he like a new chair for his desk, something really good and comfy/supportive? Or a laptop desk for using it in different places? New laptop bag? Better optical mouse/keyboard for his laptop? Things that would enhance his gaming experience, w/o being directly related to the game itself....

They do make hand-held devices, and depending on the game, some of the PC games are available on the various handhelds. (For ex, if it's Minecraft, there's a pocket edition for Apple products, if you wanted to upgrade him to an iPod Touch or iPad Mini or similar, or Nintendo is releasing a version of Minecraft for the Nintendo 3DS, which has plenty of other games, too, that he might like). 

Would he like the joystick experience of playing PC games? I think there exists a thing that lets you use a joystick on PC games......I've not bought one, no idea the cost, but I think it is a thing that exists and sometimes serious gamers like that. 

Do you know some of the games he likes, and would he like shirts with those graphics? Think Geek, Tee Turtle, Smorg Tees (I think that's the name...) all have fun tees that would likely appeal. 

If I think of anything else I'll come back.....

My ds is the hardest person to buy for! He wants nor needs anything. He's 21 years old and has Aspergers. He doesn't drive. He has a cell phone which he used when he tried college and when he was working. He hasn't touched it since he quit his job last month. He's got a Classic iPod that we got for him many years ago but it's still in great working condition and he doesn't see the need to get a new one. He's a very practical person. He's got headphones (over the ears style) that he likes. I used to always keep an extra identical pair for when his broke which happened twice. The last time I tried to buy them they aren't made anymore and I have no idea how to buy them. He wears them only when he listens to his iPod.

The only gift I got for him this year is a $6 t-shirt that is blue with a biohazard symbol on it. I have no idea if he'll like it. I could go buy him a pair of athletic pants which are the only pants he wears on a daily basis, but that's something I need to buy for him anyway so it seems like a desperation gift. I rarely give clothes for Christmas except special shirts/sweatshirts with fun graphics on them. The exception is I'm getting my DH a nice sweater for Christmas, but I'm even now rethinking that and will probably give it to him when it arrives.

Back to my son. His interest (He has Aspergers remember, so they typically have a major interest or two) is computer games. He used to play them a lot but then he stopped and was only watching videos of others playing games. Now he's back into playing but scaled way back from what he used to do. In other words, although this is a major interest, he doesn't spend nearly as much time on it as he used to. I can't think of anything related to gaming that I could give to him. He plays PC games he buys from Steam so I guess I could give him a gift card but I really want a gift I can wrap up and put under the tree.

He's very knowledgeable about History. He's gotten into politics since the beginning of the last presidential election and he and DH discuss political articles they read online. He's good at math and logic. I wanted a logic game for him and I bought Tipover but it looks too easy and something he'll conquer really fast so I'm donating it.

He needs new bedding but he says he doesn't want anything new. He sleeps with one thermal blanket, no sheets. He's got a comforter he uses when it gets really cold that he's had since we moved into this house in 2005. There are no room decorations I can think of to get for him. He's got game posters up on all available space.

He's got many old game consoles and lots of games but doesn't touch them anymore. I wish there was one I knew he would want that I could track down as a surprise but he's never mentioned not having something in particular. As I said, he's a PC gamer now. He never touches his consoles.

He doesn't drink alcohol so a fun beer or something is not going to work.

Do they still make hand-held electronics games? He's got a handheld console type game. I mean one that is just one game. Maybe I should go to Walmart and see what they have.

Oh, his last major interest that he gave up at age 18 was Legos. I currently have a 6-foot table with an entire Lego city built on it sitting in my library. He doesn't touch them anymore. I don't think he'd like a new kit to build because he has no where to put a new one. All shelves in his room are taken. He got some big kits like module buildings that he really enjoyed putting together. He's gotten several small car/truck type sets so he doesn't need anymore of those. His city streets are full. He's not into mini-figs so I can't buy him those. I did buy him one special mini-fig. It's a gamer which is cool looking and is going into his stocking.

What on earth do you buy for a young adult who doesn't want anything? We're giving cash as well as gifts but I'd like him to open more than just one shirt.

Super duper ideas that I haven't thought about yet?

If he's interested in politics how about a subscription to a better quality analytical type news source or magazine?

• Like 2

I was going to mention this on your other thread but didn't get to it. I found these beautiful puzzles/brain teasers and the really difficult ones might be nice:

http://www.brilliantpuzzles.com/Jean-Claude-Constantin_c_278-1-4.html?applyfilter=FQAjp7WIty8mCpRgIuK6MUyUCF%2BnxW9%2F5b%2Bivx7w35SBSVD7F80T5ZW%2FeBbVGm2mnx5U0n6wyQ6K%0D%0A55N%2FSMbBpoPmT3oP%2F8oB8VNJy3zvV5QPmnYk47I4aw%3D%3D

That website has a bunch of great ideas for logic/puzzles/etc.

• Like 1

How about a new HD monitor? Or a new Razer mouse and keyboard. These are all rather expensive but can be easily ordered from Amazon.  DS says for the Razer stuff make sure to get them from the actual official Razer seller on Amazon or go to Razer's website.

He's got a great HD monitor already. A gaming mouse might be interesting. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Soap or other body care products?

Can he eat nuts?  A nice gourmet box?

Does he like cured meat?  I saw a booth at the mall where they were selling yummy cured meat.

A super-warm winter-themed hoodie?

A throw cushion for his bed?

A backpack?

A nice box to hold his gaming stuff?

One of those things that organizes your coins?

A new wallet?

• Like 2

Coupon to adult-up his room. Time to pack up the Lego models, take down posters, pack up unused consoles etc. New paint job, framed posters or art work he likes, new bedding (look at Think Geek - they may have a themed comforter he might like), etc.

I got my son with autism an electric razor. He uses it easily and it does not bug him. Good gift idea. Manly and adult!

When ds moved last spring to his own room in a group home with five other men, he did NOT want to take all his framed movie posters (I had used cheap Walmart frames - ten bucks or so a pop but looks far nicer than tacking a post up unframed). Or most of his action figures etc. So I think they do reach a stage of wanting to "adult up" their rooms even if they do not say so.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

Does he like root beer?

I got my husband root beer for christmas.

They have a rootbeer of the month club, but that is only six a month and more expensive.

They have 60 and 48 and down variety packs. I fiund the best choice with shippinf was the 12 pack variety packs. Each one was different. I got 4 variety packs so 48 different rbs. I was going to do more but the shipping goes up dramaticly over 48 because you get into the next weight class price.

In the end it worked out to just under $3 a bottle, which is about what we pay for individual rbs when trying all the different brews in new locations. In CA, OH and NY we had a lot more options to pick from then here in TX.

They also have a ‘tasting’ sheet of all their rbs, and you mark off which you tried, rate and comments space. Something we have tried to do in the past as we do our iwn ‘tastings’ but we were never consistent with it. So hopefully this will work better.

Therootbeerstire.com

Maybe a subscription to the Economist

A new PC game. My son really enjoys the challenge of Factorio.

If he has a Nintendo handheld, my 23yo son still plays through a new Pokemon game every couple of years.  Just a bit of retro fun.

Does he like Anime at all?  I can ask my son to recommend a DVD.  Maybe something funny like One Punch Man or Ping Pong

Thanks for the ideas everyone. My dd's boyfriend recommended the gaming mouse he has and really likes. That will make a nice surprise as it's not something ds would likely buy for himself. He's only using the mouse that came with his desktop computer years ago.

I'd love to adult up his room. He may be moving into the large bedroom downstairs this summer if youngest dd doesn't come home from college. She's trying to be a permanent resident of her college town. If she doesn't come home, that room is up for grabs and ds has finally expressed an interest in it. I'm sure he'll be amenable to decorating it differently from his childhood room. He's got posters up on his wall that he put there when we moved in. Not all Aspies like change and he's in the category of if it's fine, why change it?

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas everyone. My dd's boyfriend recommended the gaming mouse he has and really likes. That will make a nice surprise as it's not something ds would likely buy for himself. He's only using the mouse that came with his desktop computer years ago.

I'd love to adult up his room. He may be moving into the large bedroom downstairs this summer if youngest dd doesn't come home from college. She's trying to be a permanent resident of her college town. If she doesn't come home, that room is up for grabs and ds has finally expressed an interest in it. I'm sure he'll be amenable to decorating it differently from his childhood room. He's got posters up on his wall that he put there when we moved in. Not all Aspies like change and he's in the category of if it's fine, why change it?

A gaming mouse is a great gift for a gamer. I am sure he will love it.

A gaming mouse is a great gift for a gamer. I am sure he will love it.

Yeah, I'm confident about this gift. The guy who recommended it built my ds's computer so he's well aware of everything that is in that computer. I asked him if there was anything he could think of that would surprise ds like a new graphics card or something. This guy said he just knew ds would love a new gaming mouse and since he had one he loved, I wouldn't have to research them. Yay! Win! :)

• Like 2

I was going to mention this on your other thread but didn't get to it. I found these beautiful puzzles/brain teasers and the really difficult ones might be nice:

http://www.brilliantpuzzles.com/Jean-Claude-Constantin_c_278-1-4.html?applyfilter=FQAjp7WIty8mCpRgIuK6MUyUCF%2BnxW9%2F5b%2Bivx7w35SBSVD7F80T5ZW%2FeBbVGm2mnx5U0n6wyQ6K%0D%0A55N%2FSMbBpoPmT3oP%2F8oB8VNJy3zvV5QPmnYk47I4aw%3D%3D

Ooh, some very snazzy puzzles there! 

Regards,

Kareni

Yeah, I'm confident about this gift. The guy who recommended it built my ds's computer so he's well aware of everything that is in that computer. I asked him if there was anything he could think of that would surprise ds like a new graphics card or something. This guy said he just knew ds would love a new gaming mouse and since he had one he loved, I wouldn't have to research them. Yay! Win! :)

Sounds perfect!