Menu

Magazines for teens

Cosmos

Are there any good general magazines for teens out there? I'm not sure exactly what I mean, but I'm thinking something that would have a little bit of health/lifestyle, a little bit of career/education, some profiles of teens doing interesting things, maybe a little bit of fiction, poetry, current events. Even a little bit of fashion ("How to develop your own sense of style", "What to wear to that college interview", etc.) or relationship advice would be okay, but as part of a balanced whole.

A friend recently posted this article--

Appalled Graphic Designer Shows Girls' Life Magazine What Their Cover Should Look Like

And I thought the magazine on the right looked fantastic! Does anything like that exist? My teen is a boy and I'd be looking for gender-neutral publications, but feel free to post about anything you know of.

I haven't found that yet. We ended up with a couple different magazines in specific niches, and in the end, National Geographic is what gets read by my teen. 

I'm  :lurk5: though!

Yeah, ds reads that and the Economist. I guess my thinking is that there is a lot to think about in the teen years, from discovering your passions to planning your future to dealing with acne and nagging parents. ;) My ds is not the kind to seek out resources on his own, like a career planning book or a men's style blog, but he might very well read an article in a magazine on those topics. Short and sweet, with practical advice and interesting stories.

"What does net neutrality mean for you?"

"Alternative options to 4-year college"

"Best sports for a couch potato"

"How to throw a great party"

"Mindfulness in a busy world"

"Teen-owned businesses around the world"

Heck, maybe we should start our own.

Yeah, ds reads that and the Economist. I guess my thinking is that there is a lot to think about in the teen years, from discovering your passions to planning your future to dealing with acne and nagging parents. ;) My ds is not the kind to seek out resources on his own, like a career planning book or a men's style blog, but he might very well read an article in a magazine on those topics. Short and sweet, with practical advice and interesting stories.

"What does net neutrality mean for you?"

"Alternative options to 4-year college"

"Best sports for a couch potato"

"How to throw a great party"

"Mindfulness in a busy world"

"Teen-owned businesses around the world"

Heck, maybe we should start our own.

I was thinking the same thing after I posted. The problem is cost, of course. Regular magazines are so heavily subsidized by both actual ads and product endorsements inserted into the content. There's not much profit in content that isn't designed to make you want to spend all your money! 

I've seen a few online things like what you're looking for, but I know that's not at all the same experience. 

It's a sad state of affairs, isn't it?!

This is the closest I've managed to come to what you're looking for:

https://upfront.scholastic.com/

You can look at a couple of the other Scholastic options too. They're not cheap for HSers, but they're not crazy expensive either. IIRC, Upfront was $40, and it's weekly.

http://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/Landing-Pages/subscribers

What about the actual Boys' Life magazine? 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

Brio Magazine for teen girls was just recently started (or re-started....I think it used to be published years ago, then went out of print) by Focus on the Family.   My 13 yo DD loves it, and it does focus more on "real" girls and issues girls face.

My 15 yo DS's favorite magazines are Popular Mechanics, Air & Space, and Flying.   He also gets Boys Life and still enjoys it, although he's close to outgrowing it.   Of his magazines, I think Popular Mechanics does the best job of targeting a general population of normal, everyday people, rather than creating an unrealistic image, but of course, it doesn't cover any of the topics you asked for in the original post.   But they do have articles like, "How to cut your own hair," "Best Tech of the Year," and "The Very Very Basics of Car Care" that appeal to teens in a very practical way.