Menu

Not everything comes in an Amazon box

DawnM

ARGH!!!!!!

This is just a gripe.

Several things I have ordered have just come in a box like you would find at the store to buy.......with a huge photo of what is IN the box on the front.

Yup, several people already know what they are getting because of the box out front.

Oh no!. I'm lucky. Our ups/fed ex guy just leaves our packages out by our cars and they don't knock so I just go out when I can get packages past them without them noticing. They never even notice he is there. And our area is always like the very last place for our fed ex / ups drivers to drop off so it is always dark when they come.

We learned that several years ago - amazon usually has a place that says this package with arrive indicating what's inside and gives you the option to have it boxed up, but maybe not everything depending on the size. Unfortunately, it sucks learning about that the hard way. 

One year we got a kids ride on toy delivered to our porch -- only it was for our misdelivered-mail-house, that house with numbers that are transposed from ours that used to always get our mail and us theirs. My children were so upset because they were toddlers at the time and so excited when they saw it but then mean mamma put it in the van and gave it away. 

• Like 3

We learned that several years ago - amazon usually has a place that says this package with arrive indicating what's inside and gives you the option to have it boxed up, but maybe not everything depending on the size. Unfortunately, it sucks learning about that the hard way. 

One year we got a kids ride on toy delivered to our porch -- only it was for our misdelivered-mail-house, that house with numbers that are transposed from ours that used to always get our mail and us theirs. My children were so upset because they were toddlers at the time and so excited when they saw it but then mean mamma put it in the van and gave it away. 

Oh, these weren't from Amazon.  Amazon usually boxes them up......but Office Depot nor Costco did.

Not from Amazon and I get home between 5-6pm from work.  I get home after everyone else actually, unless DH has to work late.

We had this happen for DD at her birthday. She saw her 2 biggest gifts beforehand. It was a bummer. I then went back to the amazon page and there was a note about it coming in a box that might reveal what was inside. I just didn't notice. Now I always look for that message on the page. That is the worst, I am so sorry.

Huge pet peeve of mine. We learned the hard way last year, my sister and I. Now we ship large things to each other's houses. My older two kids' gifts are all at her house waiting for me to go over there and wrap them (they are only getting three things from us this year, all in large boxes).

Ohh, hard learning!

I had one set of gifts delivered to a relative's house because the merchant warned that the shipping box would reveal the contents. I wish all merchants would post that sort of warning in big text.

(I ordered and cancelled something from Amazon twice because I kept forgetting to hit the "box" button.)

This just happened here.

A box bearing detailed pictures of the appliance inside arrived at the front door.  I put it in my son's room since it was addressed to him.  I forgot about it until he came home and I heard screams coming from his room.

It was a gift, as he says in indicated on the Amazon order, for the family.

Sure does make it easier for thieves to know what they're stealing.  Or maybe they won't steal the item because they see what it is.  

I've only had a gift ship in an original box once and it was a GnipGnop game...like 15 years ago. I complained to Amazon and they generously refunded my money.  At least now their policy has changed and they note when things might arrive in only the original box. 

ktgrok, your UPS guy is great!

I order stuff from Amazon all the time and I can't remember the last time I received something that wasn't in a brown box, until yesterday. A toy I ordered for DD for Christmas wasn't in a brown box at all...it was just the box the toy came in, as if I'd just pulled it off the shelf at the store! Thank goodness the girls and I weren't home and DH was able to scoop it up and hide it. 

We've received the brown packing boxes with a description of the item on the side before, but never the actual toy box with a shipping label slapped on.  :glare:

Edited by Vintage81

they will usually state if an oversized item doesn't come in an amazon box. most things (though not all) - have a "this is a gift" option.

have you checked that when it is available?

I admit, if it's coming to my house, I dont' often bother.   But I just ordered a bunch of stuff (from three sites) for my daughter in texas.  a few things I wonder if they'll be in a "box" or one with the picture.

Honestly, I am not shipping large items to a friend's house.  The friends I would send things to (and feel comfortable doing it) live a ways away and these days I am just WAY too busy to coordinate their working hours with my working hours and drive all the way over there.  I have done it, but I just don't have it in me this year.

And no family here.  DH's family is 700 miles away, mine are 2500.

And I work full time, so no ringing the doorbell and letting me hide it.

It just is what it is.  

I have ordered larger items this year for various reasons.  Not expensive, just larger size wise.

OY.

I had never heard of RedBubble, so I looked it up. I would still have a tough time guessing for sure.

(We have ordered some things from society6 -- looks like it is similar?)

Ah, this thread just reminded me that I need to go sneak the RedBubble bag out of my car and into the house. It's not hard to guess what's inside a soft, squashy RedBubble package!