Menu

A guy was just arrested planning a mass shooting at my mosque

umsami

We already had a pipe bomb about 10 years ago.

I can't believe it...yet I can.  

I'd "go back to where I came from" but that's Michigan.  Family's been here since the 1800s on my Mom's side and the pilgrims on my Dad.

I am really shaken by this, because I'm sure he's not the only local who thinks this is a good idea.

Thank God for the FBI.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fbi-florida-man-planned-to-shoot-up-local-mosque

"Bolatete allegedly told an undercover officer that he planned to climb up the tower of the Islamic Center of Northeast Florida and open fire on its congregants.

“So we’ll try… we will try a Christian doing uh terroristic act this time to the Muslims,†he told the officer, according to the complaint. “They doing it all the time.â€

He told the officer he was willing to die during attack, calling it “suicide by cops.â€

Bolatete allegedly told the officer he already had a suppressor that wasn’t very “quiet†and that he was looking to buy a new silencer for his rifle because he “might need it,†but did not want to leave a paper trail. Bolatete was quoted as saying he wanted to attach it to his “pistolized AR,†which was also unregistered."

:grouphug:  I'm so glad they caught him before anything happened.  :grouphug:

The first night we ate with my son's host family in Jordan, they took time to apologize to us for Daesh (ISIS) making sure we knew those idiots do not represent Muslims.  They wish they didn't exist as much as we do.  Allow me to apologize for these lunatics.  They do not represent Christianity and I wish they didn't exist as much as you (collective) do.

May they catch the next lunatics before they strike too.  Any lunatic, anywhere on this planet.

• Like 14

Thanks everybody. I think I'm out of likes, but consider yourself liked.

The mosque has a school and the kids all attend Friday prayer with their teachers/class, and then parents get to take them home early.  it scares me to think of how many little kids could have been hurt.  I think the school has well over 100 kids who attend.  Not 100% sure, though.

When we had the pipe bomb, the interfaith community was really wonderful.  There's an Assemblies of Godish (not sure if they're official) church across the street and they donated big bucks to the reward fund.  They've let us use their parking lot for overflow for at least 20 years now.  The local Jewish community also donated big to the reward fund.  The guy was on the run for like a year or so...but then either killed himself or was killed when they tried to arrest him. (Can't remember exactly.)  It's actually a lot more comforting that this guy is in custody.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 4

umsami: Your comment about the suspect not being the only local who thinks it is a good idea (to cause this violence) scares me. I am very sorry you are feeling scared, shaken, and deeply concerned. 

My other big concern: what next for him? 

Yes, thank goodness for the FBI. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I'll add my voice to the others here that I'm so sorry this happened to you and the members of your mosque. Please feel the love and support we have for you and know that for every idiot who feels that way toward you, there are countless more who will stand up to support and defend you. Huge hugs!

• Like 1

Oh, my goodness!  I am so glad he was caught.  When we did the Ramadan fast/Iftar day this summer, I admit I was slightly concerned about violence while we were there.  Not from the mosque members, but from some crazy person who has some stupid thing against Muslims.  I can't even imagine how it must feel to always have that little fear in the back of your mind every time you go your mosque and then to have that fear absolutely confirmed.  I am so sorry.

• Like 1

I am so sorry. I cannot imagine the fear.....I'm so glad he was caught, and I hope the local community rallies in ways you don't expect to show their support of your mosque & the Muslim community, and in opposition to such atrocious thoughts from others, in such a way as to make everyone feel safe again. 

I'm so sorry. :( 

• Like 2