Menu

Has anyone ever made a beanbag chair?

Quill

DS13 wants one for Christmas, but I don’t want a poor-quality one that will be a pancake in three months. I saw today Pottery Barn Teens has bean bag chairs on sale today (and seriously - have you seen the fox one? So adorable!) but wow, they are not cheap, even on sale. And part of me is saying, “but seriously, it is just a circular bag filled with styrafoam stuffing! How can this cost $200?†And then I had the bright idea that perhaps I could make one myself. I even considered buying the PB fox slipcover only and then making the bag.

Has anyone done it?

YMMV, but a few years ago before all of my chicks left the nest, I purchased Pottery Barn Teen bedroom items including brightly colored canvas window shades, coordinating bed sheets, and matching comforters.  Not cheap here either and I have never been so disappointed.  They looked absolutely gorgeous in the catalog. We drooled over them.  :svengo:  They arrived and looked amazing right out of the box.  The canvas shades faded in just a couple of months and the sheets and comforters all looked very worn and faded irregularly after about two or possibly three careful washings.  :glare: 

Sigh. That was the end of my love affair with Pottery Barn Teen.

I think you could make one! Or you could hire a professional seamstress with a workhorse machine to stitch the cover for you. The labor cost, fabric, and stuffing (buy really nice heavy fabric from an upholstery outlet) would be less than $200 and probably of far better quality.

#teamquill

:hurray:

• Like 1

I bought covers from PB several years ago and then purchased fill for them separately (I didn’t put the fill into a liner, just in the bag directly). I was shocked at how many bags of fill it took to fill the bean bag, plus the fill flattens and the you have to buy more. I easily have $150 invested in one bean bag. If it were to do it again, I would not use the normal fill, I would look for a better quality product (which would cost even more money).

• Like 1

I’ve done it not with good results.

I’d check out the luv sack and other good quality brand ones that are always on sale and get one of those ( we had one for our disabled child at one point). They’re not filled with those beans that go flat. Pricey but awesome.

https://www.lovesac.com/sacs.html

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Your dd is basically adult size, so you should look at the memory foam bag chairs, not a styrofoam bead kind. I got my dd one for college on amazon when they had a sale. I've priced out the foam, and really it wasn't worth my time to try to make. I wouldn't have saved that much, not when using the better materials. Price it out for yourself. Cutting foam sounds like such an awful mess to me. I'd have to be saving a ton of money to make that worth my time, kwim, and when I priced it out I wasn't.

Amazon.com: foam bag chair  I don't remember exactly which one I bought, but something like this. They come in lots of sizes and the inserts will come out to allow you to change them from chairs to flat, which is kind of fun too.