Menu

Has the new Weight Watchers Freestyle been discussed yet?

HSmomof2

I don't use or track fit points. I am doing a personal goal of 6500/day this month. Then I'll l add 500/day/month. No rush.

Favorite snack: 1T stevia sweetened pudding mix and about 2/3 cup fat free fage blended together, topped with defrosted frozen blueberries. (1)

Fresh veg and hummus (2-3 depending on how much hummus)

Turkey (0) on a Joseph's pita bread (1)

Fruit and yogurt (dannon no artificial sweeteners) 2 SP

The BAwaffle topped with warmed blueberries and yogurt (5)

Scrambled egg with turkey sausage and veg (1)

Connect has tons of great ideas

I'm down 51.4!

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 5

Fit points seem weird to me, too. I get about 14 a day? Just with regular activity, usually including a 30-45 minute walk.

I have been doing a lot of housework today....now I have 27 fit points. I have 12 daily points left.....going to dinner with the inlaws. Hopefully no one wants Chinese buffet. Ugh. What can I eat there if they do?

I don't use or track fit points. I am doing a personal goal of 6500/day this month. Then I'll l add 500/day/month. No rush.

Favorite snack: 1T stevia sweetened pudding mix and about 2/3 cup fat free fage blended together, topped with defrosted frozen blueberries. (1)

Fresh veg and hummus (2-3 depending on how much hummus)

Turkey (0) on a Joseph's pita bread (1)

Fruit and yogurt (dannon no artificial sweeteners) 2 SP

The BAwaffle topped with warmed blueberries and yogurt (5)

Scrambled egg with turkey sausage and veg (1)

Connect has tons of great ideas

I'm down 51.4!

Thanks for the ideas. 51 pound down is great! My goal is to lose 15 by May 1. I am down one! Lol....

Plenty of broth, plenty of chicken, anything seafood, plenty of veggies, tofu if you like it.

Not much rice, not much sauce, not much that is deep fried or crispy.

No dessert but fruit, water to drink.

Edited by bolt.

I make my overnight oats with 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 7/8 teaspoon chia seeds, and about a cup frozen blueberries. I shake everything but the berries, then add the berries and leave it overnight. DELICIOUS. Sweet without being gross. Oh my. 3 SP. I eat it daily.

Thanks for this! I made it for today and it is really good. But according to the WW app,, 1/3 cup old fashioned oats is 3 points, and the 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk is one point, so it is 4 points. Or am I doing something wrong  in the app?  

Thanks for this! I made it for today and it is really good. But according to the WW app,, 1/3 cup old fashioned oats is 3 points, and the 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk is one point, so it is 4 points. Or am I doing something wrong in the app?

1/2 c (4 oz) unsweetened almond milk is 0 pts in the app. This sounds good, I’m going to try it tonight.

• Like 1

Because I use the website instead of the app to log my daily food, I don't receive (or not receive) blue dots. This is probably a good thing for me since I can be a bit of a perfectionist about some things. I am eating all of my daily points and all of my weekly points and not worrying about fit points at this stage (but still gently upping my exercise levels). I am slowly but steadily losing weight, and I continue to be very happy with plan and the overall controlled freedom that I feel with it. 

I have cut my coffee consumption down from 3 cups a day to 1 cup (most days) in order to cut out my excessive half and half points. I've replaced it with hot tea. My husband gave me a wonderful package of loose leaf hot teas for Christmas, and it has really been a boost for me! I drink it hot with no added sugar or cream. It has become a "feel good" drink for me (whereas coffee with lots of half and half used to be).

• Like 1

Because I use the website instead of the app to log my daily food, I don't receive (or not receive) blue dots. This is probably a good thing for me since I can be a bit of a perfectionist about some things. I am eating all of my daily points and all of my weekly points and not worrying about fit points at this stage (but still gently upping my exercise levels). I am slowly but steadily losing weight, and I continue to be very happy with plan and the overall controlled freedom that I feel with it. 

I have cut my coffee consumption down from 3 cups a day to 1 cup (most days) in order to cut out my excessive half and half points. I've replaced it with hot tea. My husband gave me a wonderful package of loose leaf hot teas for Christmas, and it has really been a boost for me! I drink it hot with no added sugar or cream. It has become a "feel good" drink for me (whereas coffee with lots of half and half used to be).

I have started doing half of the 1/2 and 1/2 and half vanilla or caramel Premier Protein drink for my creamer.  It isn't exactly the same, but it is better than some of the other options.

I have not officially joined yet, but I am getting so much free info through research and the FB page.   And I have gotten some foods this weekend to keep me on track.

Last night I made a chicken and veggie dish that I made up and it actually turned out really good and even made a nice sauce to go over rice (for the rest of the family, I had a little rice.)

This am I had a Joseph's pita with tomato sauce, non-fat cheese, turkey pepperoni, and bell peppers for a B-fast pizza.

We are going out for lunch, and my normal at this restaurant has about 90 points! hahaha.  It is a BBQ place and they make their own potato chips (SO GOOD!) and I get it with a side of wings sauce and Blue Cheese to dip in.  Their cornbread is also fantastic.  

I need to go prepared.

• Like 1

The new point system is weird. Good weird, I think. Eating at home will be easy. I can make a giant, filling meal for only a few points. I think that my standard restaurant meal--cobb salad--will still be doable on the plan. I'm just not good with moderation. One serving of crackers seems pointless to me--I'll still be just as hungry as ever. I'd rather eat a big bowl of vegetables and beans--at least I'll be full. I made a bunch of things yesterday for assembling "Buddha bowls." Seasoned chickpeas, sauteed broccoli, quinoa, roasted red peppers, etc. I also hard boiled a bunch of eggs. I'll get used to this. I'm thinking of the free foods as the main foods, and points as seasoning. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 3

The new point system is weird. Good weird, I think. Eating at home will be easy. I can make a giant, filling meal for only a few points. I think that my standard restaurant meal--cobb salad--will still be doable on the plan. I'm just not good with moderation. One serving of crackers seems pointless to me--I'll still be just as hungry as ever. I'd rather eat a big bowl of vegetables and beans--at least I'll be full. I made a bunch of things yesterday for assembling "Buddha bowls." Seasoned chickpeas, sauteed broccoli, quinoa, roasted red peppers, etc. I also hard boiled a bunch of eggs. I'll get used to this. I'm thinking of the free foods as the main foods, and points as seasoning.

This is how I am thinking of it too.

The bolded is what I'm thinking too. I just need to familiarize myself with the Free Foods and look up good recipes.

You're still supposed to watch portion sizes and eat to satisfaction, not full or stuffed. I was very leary at first, but I am getting to like it. I find I eat whole foods, minimal refined anything, and very clean. I really like the new program.

The bolded is what I think gets to most people. At least, it does to me anyway. The typical American diet has such large portions and we are encouraged to eat it all. I think that has made it difficult for people, in general, to be able to gauge what satisfied feels like. How can I be satisfied when my bowl or plate is still half full?

• Like 1

When I did WW years ago, I enjoyed the meetings and did very well and was within 3 pounds of my goal when I stopped going and figured I could finish on my own. I never did lose those last 3 pounds. Since then my weight has yo-yoed and I am back up to the weight I was when I joined that first time. I would love to join up and do meetings but my town has only one meeting day (Wed) and the times are not convenient for my new work schedule. I cannot justify driving to the Cities (1.5 hour round trip) for a WW meeting.

--

KT - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I am finding that tracking has been difficult for me to. Although I did just discover the photo scan option for tracking points. That might make it easier for me.

I signed up for WW two weeks ago due to this thread. I would like to lose 20-25 lbs.  So far so good on the tracking, but I have not lost any weight.  Not even an ounce.  What happens if you do not lose weight after a month?  I am allotted 23 points and generally stick with that.

Finally realized what was making me so angry, lol. Well, first the low fat nature. But mostly, I felt the stupid app was judging my choices, lol. Like, since all calories weren't equal, it would decide how worthy my food was or something. Yes, I obviously have issues, lol!!! 

So I'm back to MFP and logging. Doing well other than yesterday, which I blame on PMS. I alway have one day a month where I just want to eat ALL THE THINGS. But I stayed on track most of the day so hopefully one evening of too many snacks won't derail me too much. Today I'm fine again. 

• Like 1

Well, today was weigh-in day for me (at home--I'm doing online WW) and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I lost 2 lbs!

I've been tracking points even as I follow NoS principles.  It is confirming my suspicions that what I *really* need to watch are the extras:  the wine, the cheese, the chips, the dessert--things that I *can* have but just not unthinkingly.  Since I signed up for a 3 month trial, I'm committed to tracking until the 3 months is over.  I suspect I'll just go back to regular NoS, using my new-found insights to moderate my meals slightly.....

For now, I'm glad I signed up--got my stalled weight loss moving again. :-)

• Like 2

I also have the three month trial, so was feeling guilty not tracking. This week I faithfully tracked, did not follow NoS and allowed myself free foods for snacks—-mostly plain yogurt with fruit. Weighed today and gained 2 lbs this week. I need to pick one thing and stick to it, and I think it should be NoS. I really just do not be able to snack and lose weight. Just does not work for me.

I signed up for WW two weeks ago due to this thread. I would like to lose 20-25 lbs.  So far so good on the tracking, but I have not lost any weight.  Not even an ounce.  What happens if you do not lose weight after a month?  I am allotted 23 points and generally stick with that.

I'm down 10 pounds now in 3 weeks. But I have a lot to lose so I have 29 points per day.

I read a lot on Connect and based on some of that advice I am making sure that I drink plenty of water, don't overdo the 0 point foods, don't eat exactly the same every day - some days I am under, some a little over, and I'm not afraid to use some of my weekly points. So far so good.

But. The approach may just not be for you!

If I didn't lose any weight in a month, I would take a look at my food record and calculate the calories of a few random days. If I wasn't eating too much or too little, I think I would just move on and find another approach. A month seems like plenty of time for a trial.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm down 10 pounds now in 3 weeks. But I have a lot to lose so I have 29 points per day.

I read a lot on Connect and based on some of that advice I am making sure that I drink plenty of water, don't overdo the 0 point foods, don't eat exactly the same every day - some days I am under, some a little over, and I'm not afraid to use some of my weekly points. So far so good.

But. The approach may just not be for you!

If I didn't lose any weight in a month, I would take a look at my food record and calculate the calories of a few random days. If I wasn't eating too much or too little, I think I would just move on and find another approach. A month seems like plenty of time for a trial.

Good luck!

It may also mean it's time to see a doctor to find out if there is a medical issue keeping her from losing weight. This might be a red flag for thyroid issues, sleep apnea, cortisol issues, diabetes, etc. Worth checking out. 

Just throwing this out there- you may need to add a little good fat or even just a few more calories to get the weight loss going. 

I've barely used WW the past 2 weeks and have been using MFP instead.

MFP has its own version of the blue dots though. When you complete your food diary for the day it tells you how much you'll weigh in 5 weeks if you continue eating the way you did that day. Sometimes it's a good thing to know, sometimes it's disheartening.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I paid for a 3 month trial, I'm still using WW Freestyle (in conjunction with NoS principles), and I'm happy to report that I'm down another pound. :laugh:  This despite celebrating our anniversary this week with champagne, wine, guacamole, and homemade carrot cake!

As I've said before, I'm a committed NoSer, but for now, I am finding the WW Freestyle tracking a good reality check for just how much nuts, oil, cheese, wine, etc (the extras in life that I want) I can enjoy and still keep to a healthy weight.  After six weeks, I can see that I usually eat slightly under my daily points, and then use up nearly all my weeklies (including carryover points) on the weekend--Sunday lunch with wine and dessert. 

And, important note re:  tracking--I've find that by weighing the actual amount I use, I get more accurate point usage (often using less points than by the "1/4c of" or "1/2 of" measures).  I don't weigh everything but only those things that I tend to overdo (nuts, cheese) or want my "full share"--(avocados and guacomole!).  This way I'm able to have satisfying avocado toasts while still staying within my points.

Edited by vmsurbat
  • Like 6

Since I paid for a 3 month trial, I'm still using WW Freestyle (in conjunction with NoS principles), and I'm happy to report that I'm down another pound. :laugh: This despite celebrating our anniversary this week with champagne, wine, guacamole, and homemade carrot cake!

As I've said before, I'm a committed NoSer, but for now, I am finding the WW Freestyle tracking a good reality check for just how much nuts, oil, cheese, wine, etc (the extras in life that I want) I can enjoy and still keep to a healthy weight. After six weeks, I can see that I usually eat slightly under my daily points, and then use up nearly all my weeklies (including carryover points) on the weekend--Sunday lunch with wine and dessert.

And, important note re: tracking--I've find that by weighing the actual amount I use, I get more accurate point usage (often using less points than by the "1/4c of" or "1/2 of" measures). I don't weigh everything but only those things that I tend to overdo (nuts, cheese) or want my "full share"--(avocados and guacomole!). This way I'm able to have satisfying avocado toasts while still staying within my points.

Nuts cheese and wine. Funny those are my weaknesses too, and chip and dip.

I am about 3 weeks in and my mom started again yesterday and she helps motivate me. She has the time to plug in family recipes, look over restaurants before we go...that kind of stuff.

I wanted to be down 2 pounds more than I am by this point, but I am holding and I am just going to stick it out.

I am pretty sure wine is going to have to go. :(

My challenge today is that we have company coming over tonight. I am making white chili and red chili and all the toppings. Salsa, cheese, Fritos, tortilla chips, sour cream......it is one of my fav meals and I need to really think ahead about how much everything is. I might measure out a small amount of Fritos and cheese and have it set aside for myself. The chili, both kinds, aren't too bad on points. It is the toppings that add up.

• Like 1

Nuts cheese and wine. Funny those are my weaknesses too, and chip and dip.

I am about 3 weeks in and my mom started again yesterday and she helps motivate me. She has the time to plug in family recipes, look over restaurants before we go...that kind of stuff.

I wanted to be down 2 pounds more than I am by this point, but I am holding and I am just going to stick it out.

I am pretty sure wine is going to have to go. :(

My challenge today is that we have company coming over tonight. I am making white chili and red chili and all the toppings. Salsa, cheese, Fritos, tortilla chips, sour cream......it is one of my fav meals and I need to really think ahead about how much everything is. I might measure out a small amount of Fritos and cheese and have it set aside for myself. The chili, both kinds, aren't too bad on points. It is the toppings that add up.

How about zero point meals during the day? 

I would think about what your favorite part of the chili topping is and focus on that. I've realized I don't really like tortilla chips that much (not enough to give up some other food for them) but I do like fritos. Also, salsa is usually low points. How about some sliced green onions and olives, too? Those look really nice as a topping, taste good, and are low points. Just some ideas (that is may be too late to implement...).

I have very few meals where Greek yogurt isn't as good as sour cream as a topping. 

Have fun at the party!

Emily

• Like 2

It's really important not to thing about things as being 'penalized'. At worst, some of things that might be beneficial are not being particularly promoted -- but nothing is penalized.

Things have a fairly predictable cost in points... if you want them, eat them. Make modifications if you don't believe the same nutrition theories, but not too much.

My example: butter costs slight more than margarine because of the saturated fats. I don't believe them, so I just eat butter and track margarine. (But I don't eat butter and track nothing.)

re butter costing slightly more..WHAT?!  Same calories right?!  Unless they are talking about some weird franken spread.

Dumb

• Like 1

How about zero point meals during the day?

I would think about what your favorite part of the chili topping is and focus on that. I've realized I don't really like tortilla chips that much (not enough to give up some other food for them) but I do like fritos. Also, salsa is usually low points. How about some sliced green onions and olives, too? Those look really nice as a topping, taste good, and are low points. Just some ideas (that is may be too late to implement...).

I have very few meals where Greek yogurt isn't as good as sour cream as a topping.

Have fun at the party!

Emily

Oh the Greek yogurt is a good idea to substitute for sour cream! Ty. I am thinking to skip the cheese and do a few chips , Greek yogurt (plain) and some green salsa.

• Like 1

re butter costing slightly more..WHAT?! Same calories right?! Unless they are talking about some weird franken spread.

Dumb

The points are not about calories. Many things that are the same calories have different points.

In the WW system, "unsaturated fats" cost slightly fewer points than "saturated fats" -- even though all fat is calorically equal. The idea that saturated fats contribute to obesity more than unsaturated ones has been mainstream health thinking for a long time, so I'm not surprised to find it here. I don't mind that approach overall (meat and cheese, etc) and I think it's helping me eat better.

I just fudge the butter because I really believe that margarine isn't any better -- not because I believe saturated fats don't matter in the big picture.

• Like 5

Oh the Greek yogurt is a good idea to substitute for sour cream! Ty. I am thinking to skip the cheese and do a few chips , Greek yogurt (plain) and some green salsa.

I love delicious, gloppy, Mexican food, too.  A couple of more zero point toppers that I might use:  shredded lettuce, chopped cucumbers, frozen/heated or canned corn.  And PLENTY of salsa. Bulked up in this way, I get a satisfying portion to eat while still staying within reasonable limits on the other goodies. 

And sometimes, just a sprinkling of shredded sharp cheddar on top (where I can see, taste, and smell it)  is enough to make me feel "not deprived".....

• Like 2

Here is my 4 point breakfast

Scrambled egg with 1/4 tsp butter

2 1/4 Tbles avocado

Toast

I certainly am not stuffed, but I have a super busy day so if I go drink some water and get busy I won't think abou food until about 1 or 2 and I plan to have Tuna fish on a salad that is already made.

• Like 2

I like freestyle. Other versions of the program didn't do it for me, but I feel like this one is doable for the long term. I lost 8 lbs in the first two weeks, and am looking at probably holding steady this week--retaining water and cough *froyo* cough. The free foods steer me toward healthy basic meals, and the points allow for special meals and treats. I can eat when I am hungry, and I'm not getting the shaky hangry feeling I got on prior versions of ww--free protein must be making the difference. 

• Like 6

That was close.  There was leftover kung pao in the frig and I almost ate it. Thankfully my son came home and I was able to get him to eat it.  So for lunch I had rotisserie chicken on salad with 3 olives and a tsp of dressing...it was yummy.  By 3 I was starving so I had 2 TBLE of avocao and 5 saltines.  

I have 14 left. 

• Like 1

I'm just not good with moderation. One serving of crackers seems pointless to me--I'll still be just as hungry as ever. 

I usually feel like that about crackers.  They are white flour beasts with salt to make you want more.

But there is one kind that is really satisfying and filling, I think.

These:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nairn-s-Organic-Oatcake-Crackers-8-8-oz-Pack-of-12/31219490?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022677442&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42535410872&wl4=pla-81197386232&wl5=9032168&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=31219490&wl13=&veh=sem

I tried them on a whim when I saw them at Cost Plus World Market once, and they are really tasty but also they don't make you crave more like the typical crackers do.  And they have started to be more generally available.  They are often at Whole Paycheck, and every once in a while a more standard supermarket chain with a bigger site will carry them.

• Like 1

I usually feel like that about crackers.  They are white flour beasts with salt to make you want more.

These:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nairn-s-Organic-Oatcake-Crackers-8-8-oz-Pack-of-12/31219490?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022677442&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42535410872&wl4=pla-81197386232&wl5=9032168&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=31219490&wl13=&veh=sem

I tried them on a whim when I saw them at Cost Plus World Market once, and they are really tasty but also they don't make you crave more like the typical crackers do.  And they have started to be more generally available.  They are often at Whole Paycheck, and every once in a while a more standard supermarket chain with a bigger site will carry them.

This was me pre-WW, but now I have 9 reduced-fat wheat thins every afternoon with a bit of cheese and am quite satisfied. Maybe I'm eating more mindfully? Maybe I view them differently? I don't know, but I'm happy about it!

Emily

• Like 1

I usually feel like that about crackers. They are white flour beasts with salt to make you want more.

These: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nairn-s-Organic-Oatcake-Crackers-8-8-oz-Pack-of-12/31219490?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022677442&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42535410872&wl4=pla-81197386232&wl5=9032168&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=31219490&wl13=&veh=sem

I tried them on a whim when I saw them at Cost Plus World Market once, and they are really tasty but also they don't make you crave more like the typical crackers do. And they have started to be more generally available. They are often at Whole Paycheck, and every once in a while a more standard supermarket chain with a bigger site will carry them.

$50????

For the record: Today was my weigh-in day.  Happily surprised to see that I'm down another 1.5 lbs.  Surprised because I had two yummy ham&cheese rolls last night for dinner--thought the carb-ness might up my water weight.  

I am following NoS principles and Freestyle Tracking--with real food.  I wondered if I would be able to follow without a choice of low-pt breads, cheese, desserts, etc (we live overseas--far fewer Frankenfoods), and am happy to report that I CAN.  We ate well before but following Freestyle has upped the veggies and dropped the carbs and wine (not eliminated, only moderated).  

• Like 1