Menu

Has the new Weight Watchers Freestyle been discussed yet?

HSmomof2

If you're within so many points (I can't remember how many) of your allotted daily 23 (or whatever you get), you get a blue dot on the calendar. Then you get streaks showing how many days in a row you're meeting their definition of "healthy eating", but if you go much into your weeklies you don't get the blue dot. 

What makes it confusing, it that if you're supposed to eat your weeklies, then why do they almost penalize you for them by indicating they aren't healthy? Seems like as long as you stay in your points overall, it should still be considered as such but no. 

You can go I think 5 points into your weekly or fit points..more than that and no blue dot. 

There are 35 weeklies. The blue dot zone is daily plus 5. 35 / 7 = 5. It means that you used a proportional amount of weeklies and therefore a it's a great day. It's meant to encourage steady habits, which are more likely to be long lasting. (And it's not a penalty to me if a day is 'not fantastic' -- those circles are bonuses, not requirements.)

I'll have to try that. THe Greek yogurt was no points, but I had 1/2 c oats and 2/3 c skim milk. I also put flax seed meal in. And, yes... I put peanut butter in, which unnecessarily upped the points. It ended up being a lot to eat (I added a half a banana, too). I may try your recipe. 

Check out PB2 powder (or some other brand) it's only 1 or 2 points per serving and IMO it's almost as good straight as regular peanut butter, absolutely no taste difference when added to things.

• Like 1

When I watch the 6 P.M. E.T. news from the USA, there are huge numbers of commercials for different diet programs. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and possibly another one. It might be interesting, if one could find a recent (and objective) comparison of the different programs and their effectiveness.  It's a multi billion dollar industry and the amount of money they spend on TV advertising must be staggering. 

When I watch the 6 P.M. E.T. news from the USA, there are huge numbers of commercials for different diet programs. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig and possibly another one. It might be interesting, if one could find a recent (and objective) comparison of the different programs and their effectiveness.  It's a multi billion dollar industry and the amount of money they spend on TV advertising must be staggering. 

I will give you comparison #1.  JC food is about $700/month and you must buy from them.

WW is $19/month and they provide you with ways to eat your own food to lose weight.

If you haven't ever had to lose weight, you may not understand that there are reasons people join these groups.

• Like 2

There are 35 weeklies. The blue dot zone is daily plus 5. 35 / 7 = 5. It means that you used a proportional amount of weeklies and therefore a it's a great day. It's meant to encourage steady habits, which are more likely to be long lasting. (And it's not a penalty to me if a day is 'not fantastic' -- those circles are bonuses, not requirements.)

Weeklies are different for everyone. I get 28 per week and 23 dailies.

• Like 1

I'd rather eat/drink a smaller amount of full fat stuff than a bigger portion of low fat, fat free, or fake stuff. I don't mind sugar substitutes though. I switched to splenda in my coffee and kept the full fat half and half. It helped reduce my breakfast points. The only non-fat item I can eat and actually enjoy is non-fat yogurt.

I took a closer look at iTrackbites last night and the app doesn't seem at all intuitive. I'm not sure I want to buy any add ons if I'm not going to like the base app. Maybe I should just stick to something else. I have free versions of MFP, Lose it, and Google Fit. I will have to play around with each to see what one I like best. Hopefully by the time my WW period is up I'll have found something else.

I do think that even if I don't continue with WW I'll continue with some of the recipes that provide points. I like Skinnytaste and Emily Bites.

Slender Kitchen has really good recipes also.

• Like 2

I believe the blue dot challenge was implemented under the old SmartPoint system where tracking and eating your daily points was deemed "Very Important".  

IMO, though, with the freedom that Freestyle brings to eat an entire day's worth of healthy meals using hardly any points, the blue dot challenge doesn't make much sense.  And, additionally, studies have shown that eating pretty much the exact number of calories everyday is NOT necessary to lose or maintain weight.  In fact, daily fluctuations are normal and conducive to long-term success just because it allows "real life" living--the day we eat a dessert and/or drink a glass of wine (Hello, Anniversary!) is not necessarily the same day we want to really cut back.  A feast day can be a good thing!  The new freestyle system attempts to accommodate that reality which I think is a step in the right direction....

Edited by vmsurbat
  • Like 3

So, I did well until about 10:30pm or so, when I ate a bunch of tortilla chips and goldfish crackers before bed. Ugh. But I got up this morning and added them to yesterday's total. Used 6 of my weeklies for that. Plus had already used my fit points, so no blue circle for me. Right before bed is when I tend to binge on something unhealthy. Always carb heavy. Have got to work on that. I'd already had some greek yogurt with 1/2 a banana and some peanuts, so I wasn't truly hungry. I wonder if I'm craving salt or something...when I'm eating healthy I tend to not have processed food and end up with a LOT less salt. And it was definitely the salt I wanted. Hmmm...

I'm ticked off. I am doing the Points Plus plan, not Frestyle. I stayed close to my daily limits (36), only using maybe ten of my weeklies (but only using them on 2 or 3 days - it was my birthday week!) and in the past 15 days I stayed the same weight. I lost 1.5 and gained it back in that time. Meanwhile, I was pretty constantly hungry. The two times I ate a bigger meal I got the burps, and some of my food came up when I burped (yuck - I do have a hiatal hernia, so I assume that is why). So I think my stomach capacity has gone down, but my body doesn't like eating the smaller amounts.

I looked at my intake the first week, when I actually seemed to lose, and I was eating about 30 points. So I set that as my new daily goal. I won't buy "diet food" or fat free dairy, so I'm just going to have to watch portions and hope my body gets used to being hungry.

I was hoping I could eat my dailies and tap into my weeklies as needed, but it looks like my metabolism is slower than that.

So, I did well until about 10:30pm or so, when I ate a bunch of tortilla chips and goldfish crackers before bed. Ugh. But I got up this morning and added them to yesterday's total. Used 6 of my weeklies for that. Plus had already used my fit points, so no blue circle for me. Right before bed is when I tend to binge on something unhealthy. Always carb heavy. Have got to work on that. I'd already had some greek yogurt with 1/2 a banana and some peanuts, so I wasn't truly hungry. I wonder if I'm craving salt or something...when I'm eating healthy I tend to not have processed food and end up with a LOT less salt. And it was definitely the salt I wanted. Hmmm...

Not sure this will help but I crave salt like crazy, much more than sweet. Picles, olives or pickled jalapeĂƒÂ±os help me kill the craving quckly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I confess I don't even know where the blue dots are. I've never noticed them. Are they on the website, app, or both? I was just looking on the website and don't see them either in My Day or Living (My Plan).

I probably haven't noticed them because I'm not big on "rah, rah you can do it!" It's why I don't want to go to in person meetings. I like discussions about what we did, what worked and what didn't, like we're having here. I don't like the rah rah stuff because it always sounds forced to me.

That said, if I knew where to find the blue dots I certainly wouldn't have earned any yesterday. A few friends and I (we call ourselves The Golden Girls) found out that one among us has never seen The Princess Bride so we had a viewing last night at one friend's house. She's famous for her delicious stove top popped buttered popcorn. I partook. And I couldn't have popcorn without a coke. One 12 oz. glass was 9 points! I'm not going to feel bad though. Our movie nights only happen a few times a year. When we have game nights we tend to eat healthy snacks if we snack at all.

• Like 1

After thinking through the Blue Dots, I decided that I would aim for 4-5 Blue Dots per week. If I got one every day it would preclude saving up points for a special meal/day. But if I rarely got one it would show that I was over/under-eating most days. Looking for balance as I lose!

BTW - you can find the Blue dots on the Journey section of the app. It's under the Weight Progress chart. Click on it and it will show you a calendar - right now it is January - with your days in what they call the Healthy Eating Zone (5 points above to 10 points under your Daily Points). It's "your daily Points target plus some wiggle room". Any day on which your points fell in that range is marked with a blue dot on the date.

Lady Florida - I am liquid1270 on WW Connect. I posted a screenshot of my Blue Dots if you want to take a look.

Edited by Liza Q
  • Like 1

I'm betting you don't really *love* tortilla chips and goldfish crackers. What do you wish you had really eaten? I'm finding the permission to eat the foods I actually love, but in moderation, really refreshing. So I'm no longer eating graham crackers (the things I lied to myself about) but I am eating a Fannie Mae candy every day after lunch. 

If I find one candy not to be satisfying, I plate another one, set it on the counter, and tell myself I can eat it in 10 minutes. Because I can. Most days, I no longer want it in ten minutes. Some days, I do, and then I do eat it.

I love love love salt (esp since a biochemist co-worker told me to eat as much of it as I want). I love Pam-fried eggs with sea salt on top. I love cheese, I think in part because of the salt. I eat Aldi "Reduced Guilt" Wheat Thin type crackers almost every day, but I really do like them (can remember eating them with my Gram on the way home from working with her most Saturdays of my teen years). I usually eat 9 at a time (2 points), knowing that if I *really* want more at the end, it is perfectly fine to eat 9 (or even 18) more.

I also eat a tablespoon of salted peanut butter every afternoon (usually with a banana, but sometimes with celery).

Maybe something here will help?

My leader likes to tell us to make splurges special - eat the food you really love, not the stuff that just happens to be around.

Emily

• Like 3

I'm betting you don't really *love* tortilla chips and goldfish crackers. What do you wish you had really eaten? 

Good question! I'm not quite sure...probably potato chips :)  Love potato chips. Or GOOD sourdough bread with butter. But let me think on that. 

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok

My leader likes to tell us to make splurges special - eat the food you really love, not the stuff that just happens to be around.

I think this insight:  Eat what you really love is the key to longterm weight loss *and* maintenance.  

I lost 50lbs. following the NoS diet (3 rules:  No snacking, no sweets, no seconds except on S-days) by eating what I loved in reasonable portions--I never felt deprived.  

The only reason I've added WW Freestyle to the mix is that now that I'm 10 years older with ongoing health issues, I can't eat exactly the same way: 15 pounds creeped up on me and I'm determined to find the right balance. 

However, I'm committed to continue to eat the things I love--I just need to learn proper amounts in this decade-older body....  I already can see that my daily glass of wine needs to change--to either a half glass daily or a normal one less often.....  And while I can freely sprinkle fresh, crisp veggies on my salad, I need to be much more mindful of toasted nuts and grated cheese....

• Like 1

Realizing it probably didn't help that before bed we had watched a documentary about food science that delved into how sourdough bread is made. And then watched a documentary on the strongest man in the world, and showed all the food that they eat. Maybe need to rethink food documentaries before bed, LOL.

• Like 1

I think this insight:  Eat what you really love is the key to longterm weight loss *and* maintenance.  

I lost 50lbs. following the NoS diet (3 rules:  No snacking, no sweets, no seconds except on S-days) by eating what I loved in reasonable portions--I never felt deprived.  

The only reason I've added WW Freestyle to the mix is that now that I'm 10 years older with ongoing health issues, I can't eat exactly the same way: 15 pounds creeped up on me and I'm determined to find the right balance. 

However, I'm committed to continue to eat the things I love--I just need to learn proper amounts in this decade-older body....  I already can see that my daily glass of wine needs to change--to either a half glass daily or a normal one less often.....  And while I can freely sprinkle fresh, crisp veggies on my salad, I need to be much more mindful of toasted nuts and grated cheese....

I am trying to do this.  Sunday night when I decided to get serious about the WW dss brought in some mocha pot de crĂƒÂ¨me he had made at his mom's. I was not about to completely turn that down. I measured about about 2 TBLE which I think I calculated as about 3 points....it was to die for.  That was about 4 bites and it was just heavenly.  I have zero guilt about spending those points on it.

• Like 1

Yes sadly wine is a real problem. 

I have a really hard time figuring out points for things like the corn tortilla softened in oil for my taco last night.  

And I am hungry today.  I think I have about 8 points left.  Plus I used 4 of my weeklies yesterday.

I would count just the corn tortilla and oil separately.  Now, that is probably just a small amount of oil actually absorbed, so count as 1/2 or 1 tsp?

The other thing I do, so I'm not run ragged by all this counting (something NoS doesn't strictly require) is that I'm aiming for a "good enough" count, not a perfect count.  If I feel that by the end of the day, I have too many little things (like oil for frying the tortilla or maybe a larger spoonful of salad dressing or a teaspoon of XXX), I add my own JIC (Just In Case) item of 1-3 daily points to count for all of those in one fell swoop.  Helps me to be honest and not worry too much about issues like the above.

As long as I'm eating well and losing, "good enough" counting is not a problem for me.

• Like 1

If you have a fitbit or similar and connect it, you get extra points for just your steps (anything over I think 3K or 4K steps gets you points). That helps. 

You can also put in steps manually. I have a Samsung Gear smartwatch* and use the Samsung Health app. I put those steps into WW at the end of the day. 

*I don't recommend it for fitness - I use it as an extension of my phone, but when the contract is up I won't continue to pay for the service. Samsung doesn't work with enough third party apps imo.

I am tempted. I did WW for a few months about two years ago, but wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t ready to make a big change. I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m in a better place to do it now, and knowing that there are enough free foods to actually make a meal is encouraging for days when all hell breaks loose.

Maybe so. That's just 'peanut butter' at my house, lol. 

Also, everyone who doesn't like WW should cross over to the dark side and do Atkins with me  :001_cool:

I'm normally low carb, but while breastfeeding I seem to NEED carbs, personally 

SaveSave

I still have my WW subscription, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been doing No S for the last two weeks and lost 4 lbs. Just out of curiosity, I decided to track my three meals each day. Eating three normal meals, I am easily staying within my daily points. This shows me that snacking is my main issue, which is what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve always thought.

Tracked with MFP and WW today. On MFP I have 1,372 calories, under 100 grams of carbs, over 70 grams of protein. Just where my nutritionist would like me to be (at bariatric center). On WW, even with the extra points you get for breastfeeding, I used all my points PLUS 10 weekly/fit points. 

Sorry for the peanut butter confusion!

Just the normal peanut butter, not the no-salt peanut butter. But now I want to experiment!

My kids refuse to eat the no-salt peanut butter and actually stir in a bunch of salt if I accidentally buy it. 

(We like the Smuckers natural peanut butter in creamy with salt here, but we have to buy it at Wal-Mart and I hate going there! Bah. Gotta go this week to restock on PB.)

Emily

• Like 1

I tried it and quit. It seemed to take a lot of points for healthy fats and I found myself ditching my half avocado with my eggs in the morning. Then, I was hungry too soon and didn't feel great. I don't want to worry about healthy fats in good portions. I then tracked my foods with MFP and I haven't even hit 1200 calories a day yet but somehow I'm 75 pounds overweight. I don't know what's going on but I don't stress about food using MFP like I did WW. I'm not hungry eating what I'm eating but I really don't get how I eat so few calories a day but stay overweight. I have plans to change up my exercise routine next week and hope to see some weight loss with that. 

• Like 2

Tracked with MFP and WW today. On MFP I have 1,372 calories, under 100 grams of carbs, over 70 grams of protein. Just where my nutritionist would like me to be (at bariatric center). On WW, even with the extra points you get for breastfeeding, I used all my points PLUS 10 weekly/fit points. 

Was that with calling all lean protein 0 points (your personal mod)?

I think I'm eating a lot more calories than that, but I'm not trying to be low carb because my situation is different. I'm also breastfeeding, but I'm 6' tall. I do find that I'm having a rough time this week, and I think it is because I skipped my weekend grocery trip and we're running low on fruit. No easy-to-grab 0 point foods. 

Emily

Was that with calling all lean protein 0 points (your personal mod)?

I think I'm eating a lot more calories than that, but I'm not trying to be low carb because my situation is different. I'm also breastfeeding, but I'm 6' tall. I do find that I'm having a rough time this week, and I think it is because I skipped my weekend grocery trip and we're running low on fruit. No easy-to-grab 0 point foods. 

Emily

No, I forgot about that, lol! But still, that would only be I think 2 or 3 points from today. It's the fat that is driving up the points. Half and half in my coffee, a little bit of butter my toast, etc. 

Edited by ktgrok

A question for those of you who use My Fitness Pal. Is it worth springing for premium? The cost seems reasonable and soooo much cheaper than WW.

I tried it and quit. It seemed to take a lot of points for healthy fats and I found myself ditching my half avocado with my eggs in the morning. Then, I was hungry too soon and didn't feel great. I don't want to worry about healthy fats in good portions. I then tracked my foods with MFP and I haven't even hit 1200 calories a day yet but somehow I'm 75 pounds overweight. I don't know what's going on but I don't stress about food using MFP like I did WW. I'm not hungry eating what I'm eating but I really don't get how I eat so few calories a day but stay overweight. I have plans to change up my exercise routine next week and hope to see some weight loss with that. 

That's the thing that bothers me. Avocado, almonds, olive oil, and other healthy fats penalize you. That just seem so wrong to me. I'm working on moving to MFP so I can be used to it when my WW subscription runs out (I only went with the 3 month subscription to see how I would like it).

A question for those of you who use My Fitness Pal. Is it worth springing for premium? The cost seems reasonable and soooo much cheaper than WW.

That's the thing that bothers me. Avocado, almonds, olive oil, and other healthy fats penalize you. That just seem so wrong to me. I'm working on moving to MFP so I can be used to it when my WW subscription runs out (I only went with the 3 month subscription to see how I would like it).

I'm not sure. I just bought it this past week, and honestly, not sure it was worth it. Biggest thing is you can see things by grams and percentage, rather than just one. Meh. 

Another great app if someone is low carb is Baritastic. It puts your net carbs and protein on the top, so they are easy to glance at. And you can add things by voice if they are just generic food items, not packaged food. 

But, it's just an ap, and I like using my computer more than the phone, so back to using MFP. 

I'm not sure. I just bought it this past week, and honestly, not sure it was worth it. Biggest thing is you can see things by grams and percentage, rather than just one. Meh. 

Another great app if someone is low carb is Baritastic. It puts your net carbs and protein on the top, so they are easy to glance at. And you can add things by voice if they are just generic food items, not packaged food. 

But, it's just an ap, and I like using my computer more than the phone, so back to using MFP. 

Thanks. I was looking at the comparison. I don't need a complete breakdown of nutrients. I'm mainly looking to track calories and exercise along with my goals. I did like that with premium you can set separate goals for specific days, so you can allow yourself some slack for holidays or days you know you'll be eating out. And the fact that you have access to all past reports. As far as ads go, I'm not bothered by them. I'm used to that being a trade off for free apps.

I'll play with the free version for a while before I decide. I was just wondering if anyone did pay for it and if they think it was worth it. 

I didn't sign up for the premium part of MFP but when I use the app on my phone I get the break down of all nutrients as well as the percentages. I use the more tab at bottom and then choose nutrition and it gives me all of that. I don't know if it's a glitch but it's free.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

Oh, MFP knows what I've been tracking in WW! When I went to log my breakfast it pulled up some recent breakfast items - all breakfast foods I logged in WW. It's possible I told it to do that when I signed up but if I did I don't recall. 

It will also pull recipes from Plan to Eat. I was afraid it would only get them from actual recipe sites but I took a chance. 

It's going to be much easier than I thought to bring in foods and recipes that I regularly log.

I am paying attention to how I feel and I am on the verge of thinking 23 is not enough points for me. It really makes you focus on getting in good fats and proteins though. I ate at Chilis yesterday and had the mango chicken and did double steamed broccoli no rice. I took off 3 points for skipping the rice so I called that a 6 point meal.

Weigh in day is Monday so I guess I will see how it is going .

I get shaky by the time supper rolls around but I don't want to use my points for an afternoon snack. Anyone have a low point snack that will keep energy up and avoid the shakes?

• Like 1

I am paying attention to how I feel and I am on the verge of thinking 23 is not enough points for me. It really makes you focus on getting in good fats and proteins though. I ate at Chilis yesterday and had the mango chicken and did double steamed broccoli no rice. I took off 3 points for skipping the rice so I called that a 6 point meal.

Weigh in day is Monday so I guess I will see how it is going .

I get shaky by the time supper rolls around but I don't want to use my points for an afternoon snack. Anyone have a low point snack that will keep energy up and avoid the shakes?

Hungry Girl Scoopable Apple Pie (recipe online)/0% Greek Yogurt = 0 points.

• Like 1

Well, I signed up. I admit that I have some misgivings about penalizing healthy fats...on the other hand, eating the way I think I should has me 40 lbs overweight, so what do I know? lol

This is sort of where I'm at - I think I know a lot about nutrition, but none of my pants were fitting and most of my shirts were too tight. 

Emily

• Like 1

Well, I signed up. I admit that I have some misgivings about penalizing healthy fats...on the other hand, eating the way I think I should has me 40 lbs overweight, so what do I know? lol

It's really important not to thing about things as being 'penalized'. At worst, some of things that might be beneficial are not being particularly promoted -- but nothing is penalized.

Things have a fairly predictable cost in points... if you want them, eat them. Make modifications if you don't believe the same nutrition theories, but not too much.

My example: butter costs slight more than margarine because of the saturated fats. I don't believe them, so I just eat butter and track margarine. (But I don't eat butter and track nothing.)

• Like 6

It might help if I understood how it all works. Good grief.

What are these fit points? I see it is syncing with my Fitbit but where does the goal of 43 come from? Over what time period? I have 24 of 43. How do I use them?

I think WW just comes up with the Fit Points goal based on their algorithms or something. They are earned based on your weight, the length of your workouts, etc. Or all of that is estimated based on your device sync information (number of steps). On a typical day with no workout I get about 4 fit points, but if I go to the gym and use the elliptical for 45 minutes I get 13-15 per day. The goal you get is the number for the week.

You can edit your goal if you go into your account settings. You can decide not to have a goal at all. WW will also keep an eye on you and suggest upping your goal if you meet it over time. 

You can also choose whether or not to use your fit points, as in use them as additional points to eat (also in account settings). Personally, I like to keep track of the fit points I earn but do not use them. The system for awarding points just seems flaky to me. 

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Like 1

I think WW just comes up with the Fit Points goal based on their algorithms or something. They are earned based on your weight, the length of your workouts, etc. Or all of that is estimated based on your device sync information (number of steps). On a typical day with no workout I get about 4 fit points, but if I go to the gym and use the elliptical for 45 minutes I get 13-15 per day. The goal you get is the number for the week.

You can edit your goal if you go into your account settings. You can decide not to have a goal at all. WW will also keep an eye on you and suggest upping your goal if you meet it over time.

You can also choose whether or not to use your fit points, as in use them as additional points to eat (also in account settings). Personally, I like to keep track of the fit points I earn but do not use them. The system for awarding points just seems flaky to me.

Thank you.

• Like 1