Menu

ideas for some sort of fun?

The school year in Australia starts end of January,so I am right in the tail end of planning. next year will be our Medieval History Cycle. Does anyone have any ideas of some fun  things i could add. I as a rule don't do fun, but I have some money left over in my school supply budget.

I will only be homeschooling 3 next year , in fact i will only have 3 at home, ds14 and twins almost 7. Something that is aimed close to the twins that ds14 could help them with would be great.

I have ordered those cut out castles and villages and thought we could turn a table into a medieval model for a while. I also bought some knight figurines  to use for math manipulatives.

please help me out as I am no good at fun at all.

I'd pick up a couple cheapo kits to build a trebuchet, catapult, and ballista, and let them figure out which is most efficient at distance, aim, force, etc. 

If you are also covering the renaissance, anything DaVinci is fun too.  There are wooden models of his inventions, puzzles of his paintings and drawings, and all sorts of DIY books out there.

• Like 1

I'd pick up a couple cheapo kits to build a trebuchet, catapult, and ballista, and let them figure out which is most efficient at distance, aim, force, etc. 

If you are also covering the renaissance, anything DaVinci is fun too.  There are wooden models of his inventions, puzzles of his paintings and drawings, and all sorts of DIY books out there.

what great ideas. I will have to search for some sort of AUS source. after changing to AUS dollars and paying international freight they would be close to $100 each. 

Knight costumes and play swords 

Mini-marshmalllow catapults 

thank you for the suggestions. we cannot do play swords. one twin has Nystagmus. if he damages one eye he will be completely blind. I am a bit paranoid of things like sticks and play swards because of this.

the marshmallow catapult sounds like fun

This is our medieval year. Our big projects were building giant castles out of huge cardboard boxes and paper roll insides for the turrets. The boxes were given to us from a paper company. The kids learned castle architecture and defenses and were challenged to design a castle with defenses and to try to come up with a new one of their own.  

We learned calligraphy and each created our own illuminated manuscript page. This was a long art project. We have also done a lot of art projects from the SOTW2 manual like make Chinese wooden letter stamps. We did "stained glass" by using puff paints on glass picture frames that were pretty. 

For Christmas we are learning about a Renaissance Christmas, reading a synopses of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, and doing some games on the symbolism from the Twelve Days of Christmas Song. 

Each child had to give a presentation on something from the middle ages that they were interested in and create a poster of their subject. The subjects kids chose ranged from Dragon mythology, to make up habits and history, Eastern Religions, Women in Japan (specifically ninja and samarai women,) weapons, foods, etc. 

We had a medieval feast and created fun foods similar to what they would have eaten and dressed in costumes while showcasing all of these projects! 

That was the first semester. I haven't planned semester two yet. :) 

• Like 1