Menu

Singapore: IP instead of Workbook?

Has anyone used the Singapore Maths Textbook in conjunction with the Intensive Practice / Challenging Word Problems, but foregone the Workbook?

I have a very math-intuitive son who doesn't require much repetition, so I typically work a couple of the Textbook examples for each sub-section, then have him work through the remainder on his own (with me nearby for guidance as necessary). Once those are done, he completes the IP for that section. In this way he completes each subtopic in 1-2 weeks. I see no reason to slow his pace if he is mastering the content, and am concerned that having him also complete the Workbook problems would exhaust him through sheer volume.

Suggestions?

My son only did the IP books- 2 through 5, and I even condensed those. He finally slowed down with starting AOPS. No regrets and no gaps at all.

My dd is doing textbook, workbook and IP. She is not math intuitive and I would not do the same with her. Very different kids.

• Like 1

Yes we do this. I actually do it for all three kids. Two are very “mathyâ€. One is not. The one who is not doesn’t really struggle with Math and he hates to be bored more than anything so he actually does better with harder problems. We just go slower than his sibs do.

We do the textbook almost completely orally. Depending on the topic we do a couple of examples either orally or together on paper. Then they work through the IP. I use the textbook reviews for the one kid who needs a bit more review and I use the Mental Math sheets in the HIG for some drill.

It’s worked so far. My oldest is in 9th and went into AOPS and loves it.

• Like 1

There are a fair number who have done that with mathy kids. If you are at all interested in Singapore Mental Math, the Fan Math Express Speed Math books are really good for that. I would suggest possibly adding that into your TB/IP/CWP lineup.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Mathematics/10&category=Math+Express+Speed+Maths+Strategies/9226