Menu

pronation in 7 yr old?

ktgrok

I noticed today, when I was standing behind my daughter, that her feet pronate in a LOT, more on the right foot than the left. Like, a LOT. She does sometimes complain of ankle pain, but hasn't in a while. 

I may wait until after the holidays to deal with this, but would I go to regular doctor, or orthopedic clinic, or? Anyone had this with a kid?  I pronate some, but it looks like more with her. 

Both my boy’s pronate their feet. Take a look at the soles of her footwear. For my boys, the soles are worn out more on the inside for one child and more on the outside for the other. So they pronate out of habit. When they change to new shoes they pronate much less if we remind them. Now they rarely pronate.

ETA:

My boys have a supinator pattern. They have normal to slightly high arch. https://library.ndsu.edu/ir/bitstream/handle/10365/5181/fn603.pdf

Edited by Arcadia

Go to a podiatrist.  

My daughters PCP said dd10 was fine when I asked about 2yo. He said she just had normal toddler stance. I asked for a referral anyways.

Her podiatrist suggested ankle/foot orthotics because she pronated so bad. LOL (not something he made or sold, so no profit to him to recommend)

DD was younger than your daughter, but we put her in ankle/foot orthotics for about a year and as she grew it corrected to the point of not needing support any longer at about 4yo.  I had her follow up with her podiatrist this year at 11yo and he was not concerned about her feet any longer.  She will always need shoes for flat foot and slight pronation, but nothing like what she would have needed without the early braces. 

Edited by Tap

I have a five year old with some issues. We went to the podiatrist and she thinks it's mostly caused by his hips and Intoeing. She thinks it mostly comes from his hips and some hyper mobility so gave us some exercises to try to open up the hip muscles a bit. If that doesn't work they'll look at orthotics but find its hard to get little ones to wear them.

I agree with the podiatrist and possibly orthotics. We also found that getting a good tennis shoe designed for pronators really helped my daughter. They were $$$ at the running store but worth them she wears her shoes evenly on the bottoms instead of the insides always being worn down more.

When kids were toddlers, we went to an orthopedist. They then had custom orthotics for five years or so. The custom orthotics were *very* expensive, but they did their job.

ETA

As other posters have mentioned, problems could originate in hips, etc, as well as feet. We choose an orthopedist in order to get the broadest possible picture.

Edited by Alessandra