Menu

Knightly or saintly picture books

Terabith

My nephew is four and currently being a brat lately. But it seems to me that he’s really wanting to identify with being a man and those testosterone laden urges. I’m wondering about books that highlight heroic deeds, slaying dragons, being chivalrous. I just have a feeling that rather than punishment, he needs to have his imagination sparked with manly stories. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

I love the sweetness -- and the practicalness of the good deeds -- of the two early reader books by Shelley Moore Thomas:

- Good Night, Good Knight

- Take Care, Good Knight

Two good resources:

"Books to Inspire Boys in the Chivalry Challenge" -- fantastic list at Heather Haupt's blogsite

"Picture Books That Build Character" -- another great list from the Catholic Education Resource Center

And check out this pdf with oodles of titles, listed by character trait that they support/reveal:

Picture Books to Support Character Education Lessons

Edited by Lori D.

the Waldorf pedagogy is big into this focus at a certain age.  I am not sure if they do it earlier, but it's definitely a focus in 2nd, and since they don't really teach a lot of reading before 2nd, I would assume they still have a lot of preschooler-friendly materials.  DS9 (then 7) really identified with the heroism of the Saints, esp. Michael.

I am not sure how you would begin to look for such things, exactly, though.

The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola

The customer review by Briana McCarthy gives the overview of the "expected" roles vs. how this story turns out...

This is a fun read! Basically, the dragon and the knight both study up to be what society expects them to be in each of their roles (dragons battle knights, knights battle dragons, etc). The story follows both characters as they prepare to face one another. They both work very hard only to find, that when it comes to the actual battle, neither is very good. Having toiled to get to that point, only to meet failure, they could wallow in self pity, but, upon receiving some advice, they move on to a new, and successful endeavor together (they start a BBQ joint). The story and illustrations are entertaining, lighthearted, and fun.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1