Menu

Year-End Review(fun thread) - Days 1-3 - Late joiners welcome

Granny_Weatherwax

I stumbled upon this idea through a bullet journaling blog. I hope it's okay to tweak it a bit for our use here at TWTM.

--

I'll post a different prompt each day to help you reflect on 2017.

Since we're already on Dec 3, I'll post the first three prompts today.

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017

Edited to add: For those of you who are posting that 2017 was less than stellar and I 'like' your post, please know that I am not at all liking that you had a tough year but I am liking that you posted and you should consider yourself hugged.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 8

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017:  Bullet journaling, a new job, 4.0 tennis, new tennis racquet

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words: Growth, change, heartbreaking

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017 - there are many to choose from but my favorite was watching my tennis team receive the sportsmanship award

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 2

1- Something new- teaching other people's kids- I've done a bit in the past here and there(with Scouts and hs'ers) but this year I did training for Children's yoga and taught in schools, yesterday I did an all-day class for Scouts (communication), I've never taught a class of that length. I've truly enjoyed it, it has made me think I'd want that for a second career but the bureaucracy of education is really offputting!

2- I'm not feeling all that optimistic at this point so I'd say- tears (good and bad- I don't generally cry, at all, but I've cried buckets this year), stress, and change- it's been a roller coaster year

3- too personal to share

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Dec 1st - for something new, I went to a hot air balloon festival. It was so thrilling. I can see how people are enamored with them.

Dec 2nd - My 2017 three word summary would be, "Finding good health." Haven't found it yet.

Dec 3rd - My favorite memory was my two little ones performing in a talent show. Kid 4 kept climbing down from the stage to give me hugs and kisses, and Kid 3 looked like he was having the time of his life grooving to the music. I was laughing so hard tears ran down my face. These are my last babies so I'm enjoying every moment.

• Like 4

This is really fun! Thank you Scoutermom!

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017: Seeing the full eclipse in August!

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words: Reluctantly adjusting. .  finally.

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017: Seeing my niece graduate from George Washington in DC.

Alley

• Like 2

Thanks for this idea. I think this will be something I do with the kids, too, I think reflection and reliving [some] of our memories would be a good exercise, especially since next year is going to be a lot of change. Starting to cement the good memories may help the move coming up. 

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017: Lighthearted fun thing: First time making sushi! Well, rolls, like California rolls and the like. 

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words: By God's grace.

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017: Kitty was born  :001_wub:  

• Like 3

Something that was new to you in 2017: Fairly new job - started late 2016.

2017 summed up in three words: Sooo much better than 2016 :)

Your favorite memory of 2017: Several days spent in a cottage by the sea with a family with young kids next door, the ocean, the seals, the wind, the salty air...

• Like 2

Something new to me: learning to treat my cat with sub-q fluids

Three words: hope never dies

Favorite memory: watching my kids and husband play cards with my MIL.

• Like 1

Greatly reduced outside work, greatly increased creative work. I'm liking it.

Write, write, rewrite

Teaching my boys to flip their kayaks in the creek, totally impromptu lesson, and drove home completely soaked and happy.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Flying by myself after a solo vacation

Found my voice

Taking all my kids to Disneyland separately. This one goes with Dec. 2. We don't go to Disneyland because dh doesnt like it. Well, I do and I took all my kids, some for the first time. <3

• Like 4

I think my memory is failing.  These are "security questions I'll never remember the answer to" level difficulty.

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017 - I had three kids in three different sports during one season.  I'm still recovering.

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words - Increasingly Socially Awkward

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017 - I honestly don't know of any one thing.  Probably all the hilarious things DS4 has said.  None of which I can remember right off the top of my head, but I can go through my texts later and find some of the gems.

• Like 3

Dec 1 -- Something new -- weekly injection med for my RA and massages for chronic migraines :(

Dec 2 -- 3 words -- Just Keep Swimming

Dec 3 --  Favorite memory -- screaming into the phone as my brother informed me that I'm *finally* going to be an aunt!  :party:

• Like 5

Something new: Having kids old enough to be able to go out to dinner without getting a babysitter. Life-changing!

Summed up in three words: Not enough time

Favorite memory: Not one in particular, but a whole bunch from a 10 day trip we took to California in May. Yosemite and Joshua Tree were the stand-outs as far as memories but lots of other places were amazing also. 

• Like 2

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017 - Learning German

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words -  :chillpill:   :driving:  :willy_nilly: 

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017 - Being in the path of totality to witness the eclipse with my my family 

• Like 1

Taking all my kids to Disneyland separately. This one goes with Dec. 2. We don't go to Disneyland because dh doesnt like it. Well, I do and I took all my kids, some for the first time. <3

This is seriously impressive. Wow.

Alley

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you

Art, drawing, painting. I never in my life thought that I could make something that barely resembles what it is supposed to :lol: I get it in a way that I never thought I was capable of.

That's hard! How about... Kids Growing Up. 😢 this year my youngest turned 4 and night toilet trained etc. I've never had a 'my youngest turned 4' moment before!

Hmmm, probably a general memory of all hanging out on our property on the weekend, working together in the sunshine.

• Like 1

I like this idea! 

New house

LOTS of change

Teaching my kids to navigate the waves in Laguna Beach. We got to spend a week in a beachfront cottage and it was HEAVEN.

• Like 1

Dec 1 st . AAR why hadn't I found out about this before

Dec2 nd. This year sucks

Dec 3 rd I don't have a faveroute memory can we please get this year over as I don't think I can handle any more of it

This was my 2010. I remember posting on FB that I couldn't wait for 2010 to be over. Several friends replied how 2010 had been awesome for them (common thread- they had all had babies). If felt like a punch in the gut. I didn't want to hear about other people's legitimately good year, I just wanted people to acknowledge that I had good reason to be DONE with 2010.

So, Melissa, here's to the close of 2017. Wishing you, and all others who have had a sh*tty year, a quiet December and a much better 2018.

• Like 1

1. Too much newness RE DH job changes. But Positive newness? New small group at a new church. Real solid people who love God.

2. Is it over?

3. Going on a cruise to Mexico last Spring- things have been so tight financially and uncertain job wise but we decided to go on a trip anyway with the kids. And wow- I’m so so so glad we did. It really shifted and broke something in DH and I- we both look back on it as the start of flickers of hope returning.

• Like 2

Something new - my four oldest are in public school and my three oldest are in sports (football is over, but now basketball for the girls and wrestling for the boy)

Three words - Change, Peace, Fun

Favorite memory - tough one because there are so many!! Taking the kids to the Pittsburgh Zoo twice, the Pirates vs. Brewers game, and Hershey Park. Is that three memories...? Oh well.

• Like 1

I love this idea!

New: drinking coffee! I didn't think the world was ready for Angie on coffee, but I was wrong. Oh, what I missed for so.many.years! Oh, and I re-entered the work force. Still adjusting to that. 

3 words: empty nest + back injury (sorry, I needed 4)

Best memory: our first visit (this year) to our kids' college. Ds is a freshman.

We went to a play on campus w/ dd, and then went to the school's football game. Ds had work to do for the game, but we did see him early in the game and then he had a break and came over to sit w/ us for a bit late in the game.

He sat down next to ME. That meant the world to me, since the last few years were pretty rocky b/t the two of us. I quickly changed seats so he was between me and DH. I asked if I could hug him (twice: once when we first saw him early in the game and then when he sat w/ us - and I asked permission both times so as not to embarrass him) and he let me. I teared up writing this paragraph. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 4

Love this thread!

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017 - DS 12 choosing to take on a regular role in our family business.  So proud!!!

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words - Try, Try Again.

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017 - Traveling for a week with my father on an adventure to pick up our new puppy.  So nice to have time for just the two of us, like we did when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

I stumbled upon this idea through a bullet journaling blog. I hope it's okay to tweak it a bit for our use here at TWTM.

--

I'll post a different prompt each day to help you reflect on 2017.

Since we're already on Dec 3, I'll post the first three prompts today.

Edited to add: For those of you who are posting that 2017 was less than stellar and I 'like' your post, please know that I am not at all liking that you had a tough year but I am liking that you posted and you should consider yourself hugged.

New to me--Bullet journals (although I discovered it in Sept of 2016), it really helped me to organize my time and thoughts this year

3 words--"Bright, positive and happy" were my words of the year and I found that it was a great focus and kept me inputting things that kept me positive and in a good mood rather than being run down by how busy it was.

Favorite memory--Teaching my youngest daughter how to sew her own clothes so she could finally have the clothes she wanted to wear.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about these questions since you first posted them. I don't know if I have a clear answer to them, but I'll try.

Dec 1st - Something that was new to you in 2017: Learning to enjoy cooking with a meal service. I've always hated cooking but now that we're eating what I consider to be real meals, my feelings have changed. 

Dec 2nd - 2017 summed up in three words: challenging, learning, anxious

Dec 3rd - Your favorite memory of 2017: I really had an unremarkable year for memories, so I can't answer this one.

• Like 1