Menu

super light/quick preschool program?

I'd like to do some sort of really light preschool with my 4 YO.  It's not going to happen if it takes more than 10-15 minutes a day.  Basically I'm looking for a little bit of letter/sound introduction and maybe some reading or game playing, but not a bunch of activities or crafts.  Any suggestions?

I like letter of the week, but it takes time to put together. You have to check out the books or buy them. You need to look through the activities to see if you have materials for the letter themed games and such. I had to print my own printables and find poems and songs online. Totally worth it. But it isn't super quick unless you have time to do all of that in advance. 

I second Rod and Staff preschool ABC series workbooks with Bible stories and coloring book. The books cover so much of preschool stuffs. Any additional reading besides them and the Bible book are gravy, and will only add to it. But the daily stuff will cover the basic skills. 

FYI, I actually used the R&S and the LOTW in conjunction with my last preschooler for the best results. There are some early phenomic awareness activities in the R&S stuff, but not all out, learn your ABCs and sounds until you start their 1st grade phonics. So the LOTW was a good complement to the paperwork and crafty stuff all in one place. 

Another idea is to use the R&S workbooks for the paperwork/crafty stuff and do something like Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons for 10 minutes a day alongide it. That is even easier, since it is all in one book if you are ready to teach reading. I did that with one of my preKers. 

• Like 1

Somebody somewhere on these forums mentioned http://www.letteroftheweek.com/Preparatory.html. It is pretty simple - you still need to do some prep in terms of ordering books from the library, but that's about it. There are links here and there to coloring sheets to print off. With what we've got going on right now, I order about five of the books listed, and perhaps some others based on the color or other theme of the week, and I go through them with our 2 and 4 yo at the same time. It usually takes me a week and a half or two to get through them. It is reinforcement for the 4yo and the 2yo is learning a surprising amount in terms of letter recognition. And it is super relaxed. I like it because all the planning is done by someone other than me. ;-)

I would also just do snuggle and read. Any progress you make with letter sounds/recognition this preschool year could easily be done in a couple weeks time as a Ker. Or even a 1st grader. Better late than early, and the child will grow to love the "learning time" and have such an excitement for school the next year. Best wishes!

• Like 1

I agree with the prior posters: read a story and choose a workbook to do with the little one. I would personally do either Rod and Staff Preschool series or Developing the Early Learner or both alternately-lol.

For extras that don't involve you personally: letter factory and youtube videos.

Montessori activities, math manipulative, and lauri puzzles are great independent activities as well.

Once you are ready to add 15 more minutes daily and letter sounds are known you can begin a phonics primer like The Reading Lesson or Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons for a gentle and affordable reading introduction.

• Like 1

I agree with the prior posters: read a story and choose a workbook to do with the little one. I would personally do either Rod and Staff Preschool series or Developing the Early Learner or both alternately-lol.

For extras that don't involve you personally: letter factory and youtube videos.

Montessori activities, math manipulative, and lauri puzzles are great independent activities as well.

Once you are ready to add 15 more minutes daily and letter sounds are known you can begin a phonics primer like The Reading Lesson or Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons for a gentle and affordable reading introduction.

Just a note on my experience with 100 Easy Lessons. I used it in K to prove to myself that I could do the whole homeschooling thing, because getting dd to read that year was my only goal. Dd did extremely well with it and was capable of reading at about a 2nd grade level when she was finished. The downside was that I felt like I should be doing something else with her phonics-wise, but I had no clue what. It just kind of ends, with little guidance as to how to move forward with reading instruction. Depending on your philosophy and whatever else, it may be fine. Lots of people like it; it was recommended to me by a veteran homeschooler. Just wanted to point out YMMV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note on my experience with 100 Easy Lessons. I used it in K to prove to myself that I could do the whole homeschooling thing, because getting dd to read that year was my only goal. Dd did extremely well with it and was capable of reading at about a 2nd grade level when she was finished. The downside was that I felt like I should be doing something else with her phonics-wise, but I had no clue what. It just kind of ends, with little guidance as to how to move forward with reading instruction. Depending on your philosophy and whatever else, it may be fine. Lots of people like it; it was recommended to me by a veteran homeschooler. Just wanted to point out YMMV.

​I agree with this entirely.  I always follow up either primer with either Phonics Pathways or Alphaphonics, both of these are complete and continue the simple 15/20 minute routine.  I add in early readers and The Beginners Bible story along with their phonics introduction.  I was thinking that she only wanted a gentle introduction for PreK.  The Reading Lesson is my new favorite, but I do the lessons in a style that I learned from teaching Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons-kwim.  I would do both if I had time, as I have a weird obsession with phonics primers; there is just something magical about watching a child learn to read, and I LOVED TYCtRi100EL.  I need to have more children (I have taught my four oldest and only have 2 more to go) so I can enjoy this experience again-HEHEHE.  I enjoyed teaching my friends children to read as well.  Teach a child to read and you have opened their world and made a forever friend at the same time.

I have the same obsession with mathematics- particularly algebra and geometry-LOL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd like to do some sort of really light preschool with my 4 YO.  It's not going to happen if it takes more than 10-15 minutes a day.  Basically I'm looking for a little bit of letter/sound introduction and maybe some reading or game playing, but not a bunch of activities or crafts.  Any suggestions?

It's a wise choice about the light one. Personally I support an idea of such preparing a child before school but on the other hand it shouldn't be too intensive because the first school year will be boring for him. Besides considering the age, it's not a good idea to push child too much because in this case it'll bring much more harm than benefit. For such light learning 15-30 minutes per day will be enough but your studies should be regular for being more effective and making a child adjust easier later to the rhytm of studying in school :hurray:

The main things you should prepare before school are reading, writing, math and various creative skills. The last one is the easiest, drawing, different handmade arts and so on are vey helpful in this case, I can also recommend from my own experience special colouring books, children adore them, especially if they're connected with heroes from their favourite cartoons etc.You should read him aloud regurarly too for inspiring in learning alphabet and later reading on his own. Discuss texts you read to him, also try poems and singing, children like them too. There are also many teaching games, especially the ones for learning alphabet like card type or even computer ones like Zebrainy ABCs http://zebrainy.com/ , they usually have high quality and create great interest in children for learning. I can also recommend such books as Apple Pie ABC, Firefighters A to Z and G is for Goat, they're one of the best in this case as I know. And for math various games are the best decision, also such books as The Dot & The Line and Capacity.

Good luck! :hurray: