Menu

Best YA books for almost 15 year old girl?

tammyw

I would love to get my daughter some new good reads for Christmas. She used to be a voracious reader but hasn't so much lately (she's in high school now -- no longer homeschooling). Would love some top reads to gift her! I'm fine with whatever content.

• Like 1

15 year old girls are not interchangeable :)

What sort of books/tv/movies does she like?

That's part of the problem - has only been reading "school" books lately so I'm not sure.

She loves the show Stranger Things and wasn't at all scared by the movie It (both old and new...I can't watch either).

She loved Hunger Games (books and movies).

She liked The Fault in our Stars (I know, not great literature, haha!)

The Ranger's Apprentice Series by John Flanagan. My whole family, even us adults, have enjoyed that series!

To start with, get her these two books out of the series: The Ruins of Gorlan and The Royal Ranger. If she gets into those two,

she'll definitely like all the books inbetween! 

If she likes fantasy (of the non-magic world variety), buy her anything by J.D. Scott.

Anna Questerly has some good books out, too!

• Like 1

Okay, so more serious themes?

Try:

Shadowshaper

The Occasional Diamond Thief

You're Welcome, Universe

Seraphina

Salvage

Akata Witch

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo

Outrun the Moon

Zeroes

Flygirl

Vodnik

A Time to Dance

Stranger by Rachel Manija

Scarlet Undercover

Warcross

At 15, I was devouring classics – Anna Karenina, Of Human Bondage, Out of Africa, E M Forster, John Steinbeck, Sherlock Holmes, Last of the Mohicans, Brontës, Jane Austen, Edgar Allen Poe, Agatha Christie, James Thurber, Mark Twain, George Orwell's Burmese Days, short stories, etc. I realize I was rather geeky ... but there is an almost endless supply of "classics" ... just an idea! 

Ooh, how could I forget – F Scott Fitzgerald, Edith Wharton, etc. We read the standard books by these authors in school (you said she had been doing a lot of "school" reading), but then I would find everything else by these authors at the library and devour them :) 

Edited by Laura in CA

The Maze Runner series is so much better than the movies.

My 15 year old loved the Water Fire Saga

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find Them

We both loved the maze runner series! Can you provide a link to the water fire saga? I can’t figure out what it is!

• Like 1

We both loved the maze runner series! Can you provide a link to the water fire saga? I can’t figure out what it is!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HZTXPEW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512208957&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=water+fire+saga

There are four books in the series.

Eta more info

Edited by meganrussell

That's part of the problem - has only been reading "school" books lately so I'm not sure.

She loves the show Stranger Things and wasn't at all scared by the movie It (both old and new...I can't watch either).

She loved Hunger Games (books and movies).

She liked The Fault in our Stars (I know, not great literature, haha!)

My D loved all of those, too.  What about Steven King and Agatha Christie?  Has she read Harry Potter?  What about the Fablehaven series?